• Parker
    • Hart
    • Milner
    • Other

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

waht does this even mean?

if last 2 world cup winners and possibly the best country in world plus MIlan, Real Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona follow this policy why shouldnt England

going off topic, collymore was on yesterday spouting rubbish about why bent shouldn't play for England because england HAVE to play with a big target man because it's the English way

utter bollocks, no wonder we never win anything

Bent wouldn't play in my team anymore, don't need a big man though. I'd rather Welbeck right now I think. I can't believe how bad Bent is as a footballer.

Are you serious? That line is the most crazy I have seen on this site. I presume you are joking.

agree, welbeck is shockingly overrated IMO

gary neville who seems to talk a fair bit of sense of MNF had a front 3 of rooney walcott and sturridge last night with welbeck and carroll on the bench, said that even if we fail at the euros we have to believe that line up is our future

rooney as the point man never ever works, ever, he will play too deep, if carroll gets in the euros squad over bent im supporting ireland at the euros

put a fiver on barry last night to be a surprise choice, got the best odds IMO

Capello is considering "Scotty" Parker apparently.

After last night's performance against Liverpool I'm not surprised. If he gets it, that also suggests he'll be more involved in the 1st team than we might have initially thought. Again, deserved.

I think Scott Parker would be a great choice he was head and tails the best player on the pitch (apart from @Anfieldcat) last night.

Phenomenal performance. Flip I wish he was at Villa!

Does he have any skeleton's in the cupboard though like a few others ;) ?

Capello is considering "Scotty" Parker apparently.

After last night's performance against Liverpool I'm not surprised. If he gets it, that also suggests he'll be more involved in the 1st team than we might have initially thought. Again, deserved.

I don't think there's much doubt, at least not in England, that Parker will be a regular for the national team for the foreseeable future. We've been looking for a combative midfielder ever since Hargreaves bit the dust.

There are or at least should be only 5 players that are nailed on for the first XI at the moment. They are Ashley Cole, Joe Harte, Parker, Wilshere and Rooney.

Joe Harte is too young and not really leadership material from what I know of him. Ashley Cole is Ashley Cole (a word removed) and Rooney is mad as a box of frogs. Wilshere is currently out for the count.

Parker all the way for me.

Ashley Cole is shit, give me Leighton Baines over him anytime.

I mean....I just....I'm....No. No, no and, erm, no. I do like Baines, so...Still no.

I'm actually mildly surprised to see Wilshere's name only mentioned by one other person in this thread. Maybe too soon to make him captain, 5 games, but I'm more surprised he seems to have slipped from the mindset of England fans as quick as he has.

The kid is phenomenal in my opinion, the first proper potential replacement for Paul Scholes since the wee ginge retired. Sit him in the middle with Parker, Gerrard (one hopes) behind Whoever/Rooney and that's about as good as we'll have had in a very long time. Sturridge and Ash down the wings, starting to look decent.

Doubt Wilshire will make the Euros so probably why not mentioned. He is going to be a great player but for him England is wrong nation, as like Scholes before him he will probably be by-passed by defence and passing skills never allowed shine

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

if last 2 world cup winners and possibly the best country in world plus MIlan, Real Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona follow this policy why shouldnt England

going off topic, collymore was on yesterday spouting rubbish about why bent shouldn't play for England because england HAVE to play with a big target man because it's the English way

utter bollocks, no wonder we never win anything

Bent wouldn't play in my team anymore, don't need a big man though. I'd rather Welbeck right now I think. I can't believe how bad Bent is as a footballer.

Are you serious? That line is the most crazy I have seen on this site. I presume you are joking.

No. Bent is a great goalscorer which makes him a huge asset but from what I've seen from Welbeck (coming from someone who did not rate him 12 months ago, probably through actually not watching him) I think he looks really good. I think Bent is more likely for a goal but I like Welbecks all round game and he does chip in with his fair share, 9 in 23 this season, I imagine a fair few of those from the bench as well. He's above Hernandez in the United pecking order currently which I think says plenty about him as a player.

I am not saying either player is on a different level to one another, both have their qualities, I just think if I was picking the England team, I'd edge Welbeck alongside Rooney (a good understanding as well being club mates)

Bent is a fantastic goalscorer but his ability as a footballer is so poor (can't go past players, hold up play is decent at best, average first touch, whenever he recieves the ball, he is never on the half turn and driving forward, he is always recieving the ball back to goal, playing it backwards.) I just think you need more maybe at the top end of the international game.

I think I would play

Parker Gerrard

Sturridge Rooney Young

Welbeck

with

Barry, Lampard, Johnson, Chamberlain, Walcott, Bent as options from the bench.

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

Because copying other nations is embarrassing.

Can we cut back to this point please, because it still makes no **** sense to me whatsoever. As far as I understand it, you are saying that acknowledging the fact that the captain of a football team does next to nothing is embarrassing because some people from a different country realised it first? Is it less embarrassing than the media circus which happens every time John Terry decides he cant keep his cock in his pants or engage his brain before his mouth says something stupid?

We are England.

We have our own unique footballing identity.

The England captain is regarded as a big thing in this country.

Who cares what those on the continent think about it.

We are not them.

They are not us.

the biggest job an England captain has to do is shake hands with the opposition before kick off, and John Terry can't even be trusted to do that.

Only captains can talk to referees about decisions etc.. at the next tournament.

Not that referees ever change their mind anyway.. but that is a pretty important role.

Which does beg the question - would some other teams have to change their captain to one who speaks English (as a majority of games will be referee'd with English as the main language)

Rooney would probably punch the referee..

We are England.

We have our own unique footballing identity. (1)

The England captain is regarded as a big thing in this country. (2)

Who cares what those on the continent think about it. (3)

We are not them. (4)

They are not us. (5)

(1) Beyond 'get it up to the big man' and 'Ten German Bombers'?

(2) By whom, apart from The Sun and the people they manage to whip into a frenzy about who wears a bit of elastic on their arm for a football match?

(3) I don't think we do care. And they don't care either. That's the point. They don't care and we probably shouldn't get that worked up about it either.

(4) and (5) Very poetic. Yet utterly meaningless.

I voted Scott Parker

always gives 110% never in trouble of any kind just gets on with his game i think he could be inspirational if we did what the germans did and build a young hungry side around an old experienced head such as him i think we could go far

Parker, it has to be.

A guy who gets on with his job and epitomises performing to a consistent standard.

It's about time the stars played as stars and we had a more humble approach to our play.

Hopefully 'Arry gets it and makes Parker the number one name on the team sheet...England with a natural defensive midfielder...that'll be the day!

Yeah Barry. The play revolves around him. But then when you're that size, things tend to revolve around you naturally. Or 'orbit' as one might say.

Â