Fibre Optic Broadband

villarule123

• 1 month later...

Have just moved to BT from Talktalk.

The line is taking a while to settle down. Not speed wise, but it keeps disconnecting every ten minutes. BT assure me this is normal, but I'm doubtful...

• 3 months later...

It seems that 500 is what they are targeting at home users, 1000 is at business.   It's all their side of the cabinet so you shouldn't have to upgrade cables in your house. I'd presume they would offer a better router.   I'm curious as what the distance from the cabinet thing actually means, I'm probably less than 250 metres from the cabinet in a straight line but I doubt the cable is routed that way. 

Due to a house move, I had to give up my 150 MB cable from Virgin. Now temporarily suffering a mere 5 MB connection from Sky but will swapping to fibre soon. Plusnet seem to be the cheapest but I'll give Sky a ring first to see what the can offer me.

BT can **** off though - their "biggest ever" neverending sale (thats not really a sale at all) is still more expensive than everyone else.

It seems that 500 is what they are targeting at home users, 1000 is at business. It's all their side of the cabinet so you shouldn't have to upgrade cables in your house. I'd presume they would offer a better router. I'm curious as what the distance from the cabinet thing actually means, I'm probably less than 250 metres from the cabinet in a straight line but I doubt the cable is routed that way.

As the cable increases in the length the more data speed is 'lost'. If your cabinet is really far from your house you might struggle to get the advertised speeds. Maybe you must have to be really quite far away for it to make a significant difference.

I was thinking about the cabling from where the outside telephone line connects to your rj11 socket.

UTP-categories.jpg

I quizzed the open reach engineer when he came over and he said that theoretically our house had a maximum bandwidth of 100 Mbps. I'm not sure about this though.

Edited by PompeyVillan

• 2 weeks later...

Have just moved to BT from Talktalk.

The line is taking a while to settle down. Not speed wise, but it keeps disconnecting every ten minutes. BT assure me this is normal, but I'm doubtful...

So, is it 4 or 5 months now? Anyway, that and 14 engineers later and it's still disconnects several times per hour.

• 2 weeks later...

FTTC - Fibre to the cab.

Most streets have cabinets very close to residences so the last few yards are vDSL. The copper used is the existing twisted pair copper originally installed for analogue voice so noise gets a bit high over a few hundred meters. I have a c.100m copper run from my local cab and get 74Mb stable.

I've just got off the phone from Sky to see if they could offer me anything better than the utterly ridiculous price of £30 per month they're asking for 76mbDN/19mbUP. They said they couldn't do anything, try to convince me I didn't want 76mb then offered me 38mb for £10 for 6 months then £20 after that. As a customer for 15 years, it seems I'm less valued than a new one who would get 38mb for free for 6 months. I declined.

So I now have my MAC code and will be looking elsewhere. Currently Plus.net are in the lead as they can give me 76mbDN/19mbUP + weekend/evening calls for £8.75 for 6 months then £20 after that. And their line rental is cheaper. They might have traffic shaping but they'll also save me £338.04 over the 18 month contract. I was with virgin last year who also traffic manage and it wasn't even noticeable.

Does anyone here pay the price Sky ask for their 76mb service? It's mental expensive.

I've just got off the phone from Sky to see if they could offer me anything better than the utterly ridiculous price of £30 per month they're asking for 76mbDN/19mbUP. They said they couldn't do anything, try to convince me I didn't want 76mb then offered me 38mb for £10 for 6 months then £20 after that. As a customer for 15 years, it seems I'm less valued than a new one who would get 38mb for free for 6 months. I declined.

So I now have my MAC code and will be looking elsewhere. Currently Plus.net are in the lead as they can give me 76mbDN/19mbUP + weekend/evening calls for £8.75 for 6 months then £20 after that. And their line rental is cheaper. They might have traffic shaping but they'll also save me £338.04 over the 18 month contract. I was with virgin last year who also traffic manage and it wasn't even noticeable.

Does anyone here pay the price Sky ask for their 76mb service? It's mental expensive.

The traffic shaping Virgin and Plusnet implement are very different.

Once you hit the threshold set by Virgin the speed is reduced temporarily. (Upload speed only now)

Plusnet use traffic prioritization; if you are downloading whilst trying to stream something. Streaming takes priority.

Worth a read if you haven't already -> http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml

If you didn't notice the speed reduction on Virgin you most certainly won't on Plusnet (talking from experience)

Hope that helps.

Â