Fibre Optic Broadband

villarule123

I was stuck with 2.5mb until a couple of months ago. We got upgraded to Sky Fibre Broadband, which i'm led to believe isn't fibre optic in it's truest form (more of a hybrid). But it's gone up to about 7.5mb-9mb so it's reasonable considering what i've had to put up with...

Pretty infuriating that people barely a half a mile away can get 60-70mb though.

Edited by adz.villa

That is some commercial internet connection or something?

Nah you can't even get that with a commercial internet connection.

My PC was connected to the same 1Gb switch as the speedtest server.

• Like 3

Just rang them they gave me £5 a month 38mb unlimited fibre, cheaper than anything I can find. Told them I was joining talk talk (I didn't really want to), and had costed it up exactly. One phone call saved me £210.

So £20.40/month for an 18 month contract?

How far did you have to push them? How cheeky did you need to get?

I'm a bit bollocks at this haggling lark - it's all a bit Brian and the fake beard/gourd.

I'm only looking to replace my standard unlimited broadband + anytime calls thing but if a couple of quid extra would get fibre then I might push the boat out.

I looked on money saving expert for advice. Basically, when you ring Sky you get through to customer services who have no remit to give discounts. Tell them you want to cancel and they will put you onto a retention agent who can do deals and will ask you why you want to cancel etc. If you have competitors new customer offers to hand it helps you get a good discount.

I'm moving house and told them I wanted to cancel everything and wanted to sacrifice the TV for fibre optic broadband from TalkTalk. I didn't even have to bargain she just straight up asked me what TalkTalk are offering (she clearly already knew) and bettered it to keep me with Sky for another 18 months. I tried getting more, but it was obvious that there was no more scope after that. I guess you have to sound convincing that you want to leave, but If you don't want to of course you make your excuses and end the call. I would imagine they have a good look at your account to see whether your worth giving discount to and to what level.

• 2 weeks later...
Â