Fibre Optic Broadband

villarule123

Sky are releasing a 40MB BB, worth an ask if they do it in your area?

Yep, it's just BT Fibre but they re-sell it under Sky's name.

I have recently had a free upgrade to 80MB and it's fantastic. Can't fault Fibre at all. BT have done well with this one.

BT Infininty is fibre ran from the Exchange to the green junction box, then connected to your existing copper wiring that runs underground to your house.

That depends.

There's 2 flavours, FTTC, which is as you describe, and FTTP, which is fibre all the way. Most places will get FTTC, some with get FTTP, and they're soon to be rolling out "on demand" FTTP, where you get to pay a nice high installation fee to get FTTP in any BT Infinity area.

• 1 year later...

I decided to upgrade earlier this week. Not too impressed by the upload, but, damn, that download.

2841708251.png

I was tempted by BT Infinity. The upload is better, and while the download is slower, they don't cut it in half if you dare actually use it in peak hours, but the £130 to reactivate a phone line takes the piss.

Edited by Davkaus

I went with Talktalk. I was already a customer and they have no traffic shaping/capping whatsoever.

2842955505.png

Also the clincher for me is that it's a totally rock solid service and it came with a new and better router. It means that I can game online without worrying about being disconnected. It also means I can watch streams without them constantly buffering. Unless it's an England match on ITV of course.

Edited by Anthony

That talktalk upload looks handy. I'm still on Virgin but lately the service, specifically the router I think, is shoddy. At least 5 times a day I have to reset the stupid superhub.

Don't Virgin throttle the shit out of you?

I'm sticking with Sky when I can get fibre, had no problems with my normal connection and it's all unlimited with no slow downs, and it's one of the cheapest

Question, can I expect my torrents to download quicker on fibre, or is it all about how much others are uploading?

Don't Virgin throttle the shit out of you?

Virgin do, indeed throttle the shit out of you. If you download more than 6GB in peak hours (and during the weekend, their peak hours are 12 **** hours. Seriously), they reduce my speed by 40% for 2 hours, I think it is. I just assume my actual speed is 60mb, except for the 10 minutes I get to download at 100mb for...

Very surprised by this, have you tried enquring directly to them? They will/should do it for free. You shouldn't need to pay £130 to reactivate if you take their fibre.

I spoke to one of their fairly abrupt and unhelpful customer disservice reps. I'm not sure I mentioned Infinity to be honest, I just mentioned I was interested in getting one of their internet packages when they quoted the £130. I didn't really try to haggle with them, I was kind of taken aback and just said no thanks. 

Looks like I'm gonna get Sky Fibre then.

I've been with Sky (mostly TV) for about 6 years and to be fair I can't fault them at all. They cave in every time I want half price for a year, have pretty good pundits on the sports that I watch (football, cricket etc). It's just a shame that clearing in the woods Murdoch is reaping all the profits.

Edited by villarule123

Looks like I'm gonna get Sky Fibre then.

I've been with Sky (mostly TV) for about 6 years and to be fair I can't fault them at all. They cave in every time I want half price for a year, have pretty good pundits on the sports that I watch (football, cricket etc). It's just a shame that clearing in the woods Murdoch is reaping all the profits.

I wouldn't touch Sky. They're gonna be traffic managing soon if they're not already and you will notice poor performance at peak times. I have 80Mb BT Infinity and I haven't noticed any slower speeds at any time (after the first vDSL sync) and there's no problem with my 300GB/month bandwidth usage. 

Â