Fibre Optic Broadband

villarule123

• 3 weeks later...

I'm averaging about 13mb onn BT Broadband. Had a letter to say they are upgrading me to Infinity free of charge... which is nice, except I am moving in a week or so. I'm moving round the corner... and Infinity isn't available there yet! 

• 2 weeks later...

We was on Sky ADSL for ages, VM couldn't give us their digital services, even thou both my neighbors had it. I called them a couple of times but to no avail. I called again after a little while, being fed up on a 7MB connection and got told

it is available at my address and they will install it for free. Got it done, I am on Sky for TV and Virgin for Internet, best of both worlds. Sky do have fibre here now but I am waiting for my contract to end before I switch over to 40MB from 100MB.

(I am not that greedy!!),

Living in a City has it's advantages!

i just moved back to sweden, one of the suppliers here are offering 500mbit/50mbit... i might have to get that :o

or if they still got the 100/100 where the fibre actually goes all the way into the flat, and doesnt get throttled or someth..

this is all for half the price of our VM package in colliers wood, where the speeds were dogsheit, was happy if i breached 300kb/s when downloading.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Huzzah.  BT have finally connected us to the grid.  I'll get glorious fibre optic back within a month.  Still no Virgin cable here (said this before, but I live in a new build which was constructed after the fibre was laid in the street, Virgin Media ends five doors down from my house) but I'll take BT Infinity and a years subscription to their football channel instead.  Should be up to 76mb down 20 up, which beats the shit out of this:

3702585297.png

• Like 1

I'm moving house soon and I'm almost certainly going to get fibre. Anyone managed to haggle Sky down on their prices? They're sorta average.

Also for those already subscribed with any ISP, do you get close to the quoted speeds?

I'm moving house soon and I'm almost certainly going to get fibre. Anyone managed to haggle Sky down on their prices? They're sorta average.

Also for those already subscribed with any ISP, do you get close to the quoted speeds?

I phoned sky last week and they knocked off 20% off my tv subscription price for the next 5 years. Also offered me free broadband for 2 years and £150 to leave my existing ISP. Unfortunately I only recently went back to BT

• Like 1

Just rang them they gave me £5 a month 38mb unlimited fibre, cheaper than anything I can find. Told them I was joining talk talk (I didn't really want to), and had costed it up exactly. One phone call saved me £210.

Sky's standard prices are a joke. NEVER pay the full price.

I cancelled my TV package when the season ended, they phoned me 5 days before the season started again offering me 60% off for 12 months.

Also got the 76mb Fibre half price, and line rental down to £15. Pay around £60 for the complete package.

I'm pretty jealous of that upload. I'm on VM's top speed which gives me 156mb down, but only about 10 up. USed to be something like 60 down and 10 up, it'd be nice if they ever boosted the upload...

It fluctuates. If you are in Yardley during the evening peak of internet use then the speed will drop somewhat.  I'll bet its faster at 2 in the afternoon when everybody is out. 

South Korea is moving towards gigabit internet right now.  We are quite a way behind countries with the best infrastructure like Japan, Korea and (unexpectedly?) Romania.

Â