• Collins
    • Clark
    • Ireland
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Keane (for Warnock 81)

The players seem extra nervous at Villa Park. But the problem is the shape. we seem to have loads of attacking talent but we don't have a formation to play them all. We're exposed with Ireland in 4-4-2 and Bent in 4-5-1 isn't working. The people who I went to the match with were debating who Mcleish would take off to bring on Keane at half time. There's no way he'd take off Ireland (after getting roundly booed when he subbed him against Swansea) Bent had scored, Agbonlahor was dangerous all game and Albrighton going off would mean no wingers at all on the pitch and 3 strikers. He took off Warnock in the end as I'd predicted as he was having a bad game. then the shaped went totally out the window. basicly it was just Petrov in midfield. and there were 3 everton players on him every time he got the ball in that last 10 mins. a point stops the rot of 4 defeats at home, also we played some good football after we scored we had a passage of play where the toffee's couldn't get the ball off us and we created a chance for Bent. Ireland could become a great player for us, a proper footballer getting man of the match instead of a grafter.

From where i sat the 2 had wildly contrasting games today. Warnock had a mare, pure and simple. However the man is clearly not only playing poorly, but is suffering from a complete lack of confidence. He really needs to be dropped to take him out of the limelight for a while and given a break.

I'd drop him and put Clark to left back and then get N'Zogbia out on the wing!

For Gabby? Not sure I get the wing bit.

If we're dropping Warnock (and by God it ain't a bad idea) then I'd bring in Herd or Delph and either leave Gabby and Albrighton out wide or put N'Zogbia in for Albrighton.

It was funny when Robbie Keane went on a run with the ball, and looked up to see who was running with him so he could pass - only to see . . . no-one. Ha ha, welcome to Villa Robbie!!!

Noticed the same thing and thought "That's why he was a good signing." The Robbie Keane I know will not be quiet about that. I'm hoping he comes unglued over the lack of movement off the ball. Somebody needs to.

How is it that practically every team we play can pass the ball around better than us?

Because all the others pass AND move whereas we just pass !

Watch our midfield players when they make those short - usually backwards - passess. They stand still or stroll around, they don't make themselves available for the ball because they don't want the ball.

Players like Cowans in the 80s made the same sort of passes but he'd be on his toes immediately to offer a good return pass. He used other players to manouvre the ball forward - our midfield just look to offload responsibility and leave the back four to make all the big passes.

Petrov is the worst of all and, in my opinion, is massively to blame for many of our problems. Yes he works hard, yes he sweats a lot but he drains confidence from all around him because he refuses to pass forward and refuses to run with the ball. He leads by example but its a bad example and he needs to be offloaded to a Championship side or lower (eg: SPL).

from a staple diet of watching steve staunton at left back..this guy warnock is a mess, i carnt get my head around why aston villa carnt produce two players that can play full backs,hutton on the right is a waste of time,i think at this stage of season where villa are i would play carlos at rb.

Ok a point stops the rot at home but this was a game we could and should have won. Lets not forget we were playing an Everton riddled with injuries.

Typical Villa in the sense that we dominated for periods of the game, only managed to score a single goal, then gave away a sloppy goal and then looked like conceding another. When we get the ball in the oppositions box our finishing needs to be much more clinical.

For me the major plus was Ireland who was outstanding but in a formation that clearly does not work. I still think we are getting out muscled in midfield too much. Swansea absolutely destroyed us in that area. We were better yesterday but I can't help but think we need a real enforcer in front of the back four.

As for Villa Park the crowds get worse and worse. Less than 32,000 and Everton sold their whole allocation. It was a home game at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon FFS. Added to that the atmosphere was shit too. The club must be worried about this surely?

How is it that practically every team we play can pass the ball around better than us?

Petrov is the worst of all and, in my opinion, is massively to blame for many of our problems. Yes he works hard, yes he sweats a lot but he drains confidence from all around him because he refuses to pass forward and refuses to run with the ball. He leads by example but its a bad example and he needs to be offloaded to a Championship side or lower (eg: SPL).

What absolute rubbish. Petrov has clearly been one of our best players this season, in a role which rarely gets any plaudits, and is arguably our best passer of a football and certainly the most composed in posession. To suggest we should offload him to a Championship side (or lower) is absolutely laughable in the extreme.

I'm not sure what game you watch but Petrov does make runs forward, he does pass forwards (is that myth still going around?) and he most definitely sets a good example to the rest of the team.

His stats so far this season:

Played 20 - Shots 30 - Goals 4 - Assists 1.

Those are pretty impressive stats for (in your opinion) a Championship level player playing at the heart of a good Premier League side, and a player (again in your opinion) who never passes forwards or makes forward moving runs with the ball. He has double the amount of goals than our most attacking winger (Albrighton) and more than double the number of shots, again pretty impressive for someone who you suggest doesn't get forward.

The stats don't really back up your unjust criticism, do they?

He definitely passed it forward 2 or 3 times yesterday, I remember because we nearly fell off our seats in amazement

The rest of the time he did his usual, slow / pedestrian best to take any pace or excitement out of the game

Well I predicted a bore draw and I wasn't wrong was I.

I am very very surprised Ireland has got Motm, and I am flabbergasted it was by an enormous amount.

Granted, Ireland had a very good 20 minute spell, and this period ended up with us scoring, but in the first half he was non-existant. In fact, Fellaini played our entire midfield off the park on his own !.

Now, Given ! , if it wasn't for him, no matter how close the teams were in terms of ability, would have ended up 5-1 !!!. He made at least 3 world class saves (including one from his own player) and a couple of fortunate ones.

Given was Motm by a mile.

Overall, it was crap, you cant say any different. The entire defence is shambolic. Albrighton ended up centre half for their goal, why ? , because Collins sprtinted about 50 yards onto the wing, missing his challenge and then being caught in no mans land. The unbelievable thing was, he did exactly the same about 2 mins after they scored, only to be bailed out by Given !.

Plus points were Albrighton , Clark and Bent and about 35 mins of Ireland - anyone who even thinks about selling Bent need a S136 Mental Health Assessment - we would be relegated without him without a shadow of a doubt.

Minus - the defence just needs ripping up and starting again. Gabby, well if he was any further back in the second half he would have been in the One Stop ! , and the fact that is 2 very winnable home games that have resulted in just 1 point, just at the time Blackburn have picked up.

I'm worried

He definitely passed it forward 2 or 3 times yesterday, I remember because we nearly fell off our seats in amazement

Why on earth would it amaze you? He does it every game. That myth that he only passes backwards or sideways is so outdated and old.

For example, in the first half against Swansea, Petrov completed 23 passes, with 19 of them being 'successful'. Out of those 23 passes, 11 were forward balls. In the second half, Petrov completed 31 passes, with 28 of them being 'successful'. Out of those 31 passes, 16 were forward balls.

Yesterday, he made 24 forward passes out of 63 attempted, 58 of those successful. So if you only saw him make 2 or 3 forward passes during the game, it does beg the question, were you even watching?

The only person you are kidding, by saying Petrov only passes backwards or sideways, is yourself :lol:

(Stats taken from Guardian chalkboard)

Â