New year taxis piss off double fare merchants

AshVilla

Anyone know of a decent taxi company in the birmingham area that will not be charging rediculous rates on new years eve looking to book in advance took the piss last year with some of the prices doubling or even tripling is there no law or licensing in place or do they just charge what they like.

i'm pretty sure that plaza in erdington are just going to pop 'a couple of quid' on top of the standard fares

I was having a chat with one of the drivers and he said that quite a few places are not bothering witht the double fares this year because business is so bad everywhere

1) Is there a law….

Hackney Carriage rates are set by councils, Private Hire companies set their own rates

2) Want to take a guess how many taxi drivers would be out working if the fares weren't increased on New Years Eve?

Not bloody many, thats for sure. Why would anyone put up with the drunkenness that goes on NYE for standard fares. You want to go out, pay the price, if you don't like the prices, stay in or walk.

I hate the way it's legal to totally exploit people an rip them off. Same goes for when you are trapped at something like a gig so you get charged double price. People are money grabbing scum.

I hate the way people think that you should work for normal money on a night when the whole country is out on the piss. Which not only means the person working has sacrificed something to be there to provide you a service but also means there is added danger for that person plus increased workload due to excessive demand. Try working on NYE in a job that services the public and you'll see what I mean, I've done it for decades in every job I've ever done and it is hell, you would never do it for normal pay.

No one makes you buy a drink at a gig. The price is on display, if you think its too steep, don't buy one, I never do at such places, it's the people that pay those prices that keep the prices up, if people didn't pay it, they wouldn't charge so much.

Oh and as an aside, I haven't decided if I am going to work NYE yet but we have only ever charged fare and a half (apart from Millennium night when it was double).

Got no issues with paying an extra couple of quid which is fair enough as its the biggest night of the year i have never caused trouble in a taxi as im not a troublemaker and have respect for the driver as its their job but i cannot see how people can justify charging twice or even triple the normal fare if they were picking me up in a limo maybe i could understand. Ive managed to book one now at normal fare if it actually turns up ill be amazed though.

They can justify it because people will pay it. If you dont want to pay it then the guy behind you in the queue will. You know why? Because there are a thousand times as many people out on New Years Eve as any other night and the same number of taxis.

I have noticed that Brum fairs have gotten sillier to be honest.

I last went out, properly, on New Years a couple of years ago. In the end 2 of us headed home from Digbeth to the Kingstanding area, and ended up paying £40. To say we were taken aback is an understatement.

My car broke down at work a couple of months back, and while I was off the road the company paid for a taxi back to my house for three nights in a row. Castle Cars I think, but the fare was £35, and that was from Moor Street station back to Nuneaton. It is a good 25 miles if you go via the motorway, which is the route the taxi took every night. That was after midnight too, albeit midweek in October.

im Brum a lot of firms just add a quid or nothing as a few have told me that xmas is no longer the bumper pay day like it used to be but again that is because people got sick of the £50 tickets for a club, the over priced drinks and no it wasnt the double fare but getting one in the first place with many being quoted 2 to 3 hour waits for a taxi after midnight.

The argument is correct about who wants to be work those nights if its not double time but only if non muslim as them guys work it, i went through erdington yestrday and there was a barbers open!

Its cheaper to go to a private party or drink local and getting home is easier too.

Â