Vegetarians / Meat-Eaters

ender4

The good thing as well is the versatility, take tuna for example, it comes tinned or in steak, you can do anything with it. Prawns encompass most cooking styles: English, Spanish, Chinese, Indian etc...

plus tuna invariably results in the death of dolphins when they catch it and we all hate dolphins ..smug bastards  with their stupid grins

• Like 1

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to call you out on your fish buying ethics Shilzz. :lol:

I have no leg to stand on morally here whatsoever.

I was just trying to point out that this bit:

but eating fish can be a much more ethically acceptable way to get your protein.

is only true if you spend a shit load on the wild stuff. Unless you draw the ethics line between the well-being of fish and chickens I suppose.

Stop Calling me out dammit!

It's all a little subjective when it comes to ethics isn't it. Is it ethical to trawl the fish for sea, depleting stocks and harming the environment, just because they're not in a cage? Possibly not. But from a moral short-term perspective, it's more acceptable to eat a wild fish than a chicken that's been tip-toeing around it's own faecies for the entirety of it's life.

Much like you, I have no moral standing on the issue, I just like my Salmon en Crouté.

I eat a lot of eggs, Quorn Mince and Quorn Chicken. I try to have at least one of those a day (a lot of the time it's two).

I don't think I could possibly withstand any more eggs in my diet so it would have to be quorn. Looking at the nutritional information I'd have to be eating more than double what I eat of meat / fish, so it'd probably end up being more expensive than the wild salmon diet.

I try to have at least one of those a day (a lot of the time it's two).

How much protein would you estimate you eat a day and how much do you spend on quorn?

Sugar free, diet whey protein drinks are your friend

Yes they are, I get through a reflex natural whey tub a month. You can't get too much of your protein from supplements though, unless you don't mind diverticulitis.

Yes they are, I get through a reflex natural whey tub a month. You can't get too much of your protein from supplements though, unless you don't mind diverticulitis.

No but along with quorn, fish and other stuff in your diet you will be fine and get your 50-60g of daily protein with no bother and with a quarter of the fat and calories.

When I was at Galway races, my girlfriend's friend brought home a chicken nutritionist, he knew everything about farming and basically said makes no difference to the chicken if he's out in the sun or in a cage.

and yet when they gave consumers in a blind test chickens that had been reared via different methods ( caged to free range to in a field listening to Beethoven) the consumers pretty much all preferred the taste of the free range

the bulking point was the caged chicken could retail for around £2 where as the Beethoven chicken cost £30 .. and then people lost their moral objections and said they would buy the caged one

My experience says so, too. I once had a very simple chicken and chips meal in a rural restaurant in France (sorry Tony!), and it was by some distance the best chicken I've ever tasted. I told the proprietor so, and he pointed to the chickens which were running around in the courtyard, and said: "I'm not surprised - it was running around out there until this morning". Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Oh and I would just like to make everyone aware I'm the biggest hypocrite ever anyway as I love Leather Jackets. 

So really, my opinion means feck all. 

Tanneries are some of the most foul, disgusting places on Earth.

No but along with quorn, fish and other stuff in your diet you will be fine and get your 50-60g of daily protein with no bother and with a quarter of the fat and calories.
My 50g of daily protein? What is this, a diet for ants?

zoolander_ants_zps7fb1227a.jpg

Seriously though, protein should really make up (at least IMO) 30% of your total intake and if 50g (200kcal) is 30% then you're eating less than 700kcal which is far, far too little.

• Like 3

Good post Mj. It's the uproar about the cruelty of Halal meat that makes me life. Have these people not seen what happens in slaughter houses?!

I would be nice to catch your own animal and kill it in a humane way to then cook and prep on an open fire.

Something that is practised by some Sikhs I might add.

Could you explain the cruelty of Halal meat?

I don't know what the cruelty is but there are animal rights groups that say it's Inhumane. The religion I was born in to is apparently vegetarian yet it is forbidden to eat Halal meat. So why would a certain type of meat be forbidden if no meat is allowed?

Never got that but I guess that's a different topic.

Â