Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Well that's exactly why we need to get him back, Mark. He'd give the whole club a lift. :thumb:

The nostalgic side of me would fully agree with you mate. The facts are though that he has not managed in the Premier League for almost a decade and not in English football for 5 years so I would have major doubts medium to long term it would be the right move. As a short term boost and to relieve us of McLeish though then yes I'd agree why not go for it.

Not a cat in hells chance it will happen though. Having said that if you'd of told me at the end of last season McLeish would be our manager I'd have said you were bonkers.

Anyway as this gone off topic or what :D

I am surprised people look upon Gregory so fondly; he said he would never walk away from Villa, yet he walked out. He claimed that he needed time away from football, yet suddenly turned up at Derby within a month.

Yes walked away after a 2-1 win a Charlton? Almost exactly the same as O'Neill apart from the time that they went (mid season and before the season started). Think we won 2 more games that season from January including a 3-1 win away at Chelsea?

That said I mostly enjoyed the Gregory years, however gutted the way we fell away in 98/99 and the FA Cup final. Even the semi final was awful and will never forget seeing Holdsworth blaze that shot over the bar with the goal gaping.

Anyone wanting Gregory back should peruse his entry on Wikipedia - click here

On 20 September 2006 he was unveiled as manager of Queens Park Rangers...After a decent start with successive victories over Hull City and Southampton, Rangers form dipped before winning three on the bounce (including a victory at (then) league leaders Cardiff City). Unfortunately, results did not continue to improve, and relegation looked a distinct possibility for Gregory's men. However, following a fine late season run, QPR beat Cardiff 1–0 at Loftus Road on 21 April 2007 to secure their Championship status for another year. Gregory was sacked as QPR manager on 1 October 2007, after another string of poor performances.[3]

On 8 December 2009, Gregory was appointed the manager of Israeli club Maccabi Ahi Nazareth.[4] He led them to relegation.

On 18 May 2010 Gregory signed a 3 year contract with Israeli Premier League Club F.C. Ashdod. He resigned from Ashdod on 18 April 2011, with the club facing the possibility of relegation.[5]

On 13 June 2011, Gregory was appointed the manager of Kazakh club FC Kairat from Almaty, Kazakhstan.[6] Kairat were relegated at the end of the 2011 season to the second tier of Kazakhstan football.

We'd really be living the dream under his stewardship.

I am surprised people look upon Gregory so fondly; he said he would never walk away from Villa, yet he walked out. He claimed that he needed time away from football, yet suddenly turned up at Derby within a month.

I find it hard to place any blame on a manager for walking out if they were working for Doug.

On 20 September 2006 he was unveiled as manager of Queens Park Rangers...After a decent start with successive victories over Hull City and Southampton, Rangers form dipped before winning three on the bounce (including a victory at (then) league leaders Cardiff City). Unfortunately, results did not continue to improve, and relegation looked a distinct possibility for Gregory's men. However, following a fine late season run, QPR beat Cardiff 1–0 at Loftus Road on 21 April 2007 to secure their Championship status for another year. Gregory was sacked as QPR manager on 1 October 2007, after another string of poor performances.[3]

On 8 December 2009, Gregory was appointed the manager of Israeli club Maccabi Ahi Nazareth.[4] He led them to relegation.

On 18 May 2010 Gregory signed a 3 year contract with Israeli Premier League Club F.C. Ashdod. He resigned from Ashdod on 18 April 2011, with the club facing the possibility of relegation.[5]

On 13 June 2011, Gregory was appointed the manager of Kazakh club FC Kairat from Almaty, Kazakhstan.[6] Kairat were relegated at the end of the 2011 season to the second tier of Kazakhstan football.

It's very strange. Thing is, on the whole Gregory was very good with us. If he can do it once surely he can do it again?

It's very strange. Thing is, on the whole Gregory was very good with us. If he can do it once surely he can do it again?

All of those foreign clubs were in a right state before he arrived in fairness. But strange, certainly, how he was able to do well for us but been a total failure elsewhere since he left, be it in the UK or overseas. Much like Brian Little in fact.

Graham Taylor?

I find it hard to place any blame on a manager for walking out if they were working for Doug.

I wouldn’t if he hadn’t turned up at Derby County. As Lunchtime O’Booze would say “Trebles all round, Mr Stretford”

I always believed with JG that a lot of it was luck. He was just the right kind of personality to lead a certain group of talented players.

Loved him though!

Graham Taylor?

could also add Kenny Dalglsih and Kevin Keegan on their respective clubs

What's with all the empty seats at Sunderland ??

I think that you will find it's because they have an absent Yank chairman, a yes person with no football experience as chief administrator, and a football team manager who plays hoof ball.

That's why attendances are down :winkold:

I would like to see Gregory back at Villa. It could be a complete and utter disaster, but at least we'd have someone who's passionate and one of us! Probably wouldn't want paying much, either.

Currently managing in the Kazakhstan 2nd division

Doubt he's even allowed in Villa Park anymore following what happened

Â