Under 19s in NextGen series

fantram

We don’t seem to have a proper thread for the Under 19s in the NextGen European mini-Champions League. As this is about the most exciting thing happening at the Villa this season, IMO, I’m belatedly starting one.

More info, including match reports, on the NextGen series is here

Villa are in Group 3 and currently in second place, a point behind Ajax. Rosenborg and Fenerbahce make up the rest of the group.

Villa’s results to date:

17 August – Ajax 2 Aston Villa 0

Team: Siegrist; Nelson-Addy, Bryan, Derrick Williams, Cameron; Carruthers, Johnson, Serrano de la Cruz (Grealish 55), Graham (Darkin 74); Burke, Taylor (Robinson 55).

Substitutes not used: Barrett, Webb, Caira, Bateman.

28 September – Aston Villa 4 Fenerbahce 0

Goalscorers: Samir Carruthers, Gary Gardner (pen.), Callum Robinson, Daniel Johnson

Team: Siegrist; Webb, Derrick Williams, Donacien (Bryan 78 ), Kinsella (Graham 65); Carruthers (Grealish 71), Gardner, Johnson, Cameron; Burke, Robinson.

Substitutes not used: Barrett, Caira, Barton, Taylor.

26 October – Fenerbahce 1 Aston Villa 2

Goalscorers: Daniel Johnson, Lewis Kinsella

Team: Siegrist; Nelson-Addy, Derrick Williams, Bryan, Kinsella; Carruthers (Caira 86), Johnson, Gardner, Cameron; Burke (Barton 74), Taylor (Drennan 77).

Substitutes not used: Barrett, Ward, Jenkins, Bateman.

2 November – Aston Villa 4 Rosenborg 1

Goalscorers: Graham Burke (2), Gary Gardner, Michael Drennan

Team: Siegrist; Webb (Nelson-Addy 83), Derrick Williams, Donacien, Kinsella; Carruthers, Johnson, Gardner, Cameron (Grealish 78 ); Burke, Robinson (Drennan 74).

Substitutes not used: Barrett, Bryan, Taylor, Graham.

Fixtures

9 November – Rosenborg v Aston Villa

22 November – Aston Villa v Ajax

The youth really do look exceptional. The hope is that we can one day get that final step right of integrating a lot of them into the first team, like Barcelona (not to be confused with "We will be as good as Barcelona")

Can't wait for the Ajax game.

Fabulous talent coming through the ranks.

Gardner, Burke & Johnson just brilliant. Burke & Johnson were very impressive when they played with the first team V Walsall pre-season, both had fantastic shots on goal within minutes of coming on as subs.

Intending to make the Ajax game on 22nd November at Villa Park as I'm down this way. We're top scorers in the group and only 1 point behind Ajax who lead.

Also wee Grealish... he's only 16 IIRC...but his wing play is excellent and impressed with his knack of taking on the opposition and then picking out a player in the penalty box with pin point accuracy.

I'll also be trying to make the Ajax game. I wouldve liked to go to all three, but havent been able to. Is there any news on what happens in the next stage of the competition? I' like to think they'll continue the Champions League-esque format and have home and away legs for the next matches, but I vaguely recall something about them going off somewhere to lay the nest round

I'll also be trying to make the Ajax game. I wouldve liked to go to all three, but havent been able to. Is there any news on what happens in the next stage of the competition? I' like to think they'll continue the Champions League-esque format and have home and away legs for the next matches, but I vaguely recall something about them going off somewhere to lay the nest round

They're off to Dubai IIRC. Shame really, but would be another experience for them.

Missed that they've already played against Fener away and against Rosenborg. Great to see that they have 3 consecutive wins now and especially away to Fener who I thought would be a tricky one. Have to tell that to my Fener-fan friend at work. :D I don't expect too many of these guys to make it at the top level, but Burke, Gardner and Johnson seems to be up for it so far.

Will it be two teams from every group in the 2nd round?

Missed that they've already played against Fener away and against Rosenborg. Great to see that they have 3 consecutive wins now and especially away to Fener who I thought would be a tricky one. Have to tell that to my Fener-fan friend at work. :D

The Fener fan who explained their 0-4 loss by saying it was difficult for young players to travel away? :winkold:

Missed that they've already played against Fener away and against Rosenborg. Great to see that they have 3 consecutive wins now and especially away to Fener who I thought would be a tricky one. Have to tell that to my Fener-fan friend at work. :D

The Fener fan who explained their 0-4 loss by saying it was difficult for young players to travel away? :winkold:

:lol: The very same guy. He'd checked and they'd lost every game so far. :P But they'd won some similar tournament last year. Doesn't matter now, does it? :D

:lol: The very same guy. He'd checked and they'd lost every game so far. :P But they'd won some similar tournament last year. Doesn't matter now, does it? :D

Not when our lads seem to have survived their trip to Turkey rather well! Has he blamed the time zone difference yet? :lol:

Not when our lads seem to have survived their trip to Turkey rather well! Has he blamed the time zone difference yet? :lol:

No, he didn't really wanna talk about it at all. :P

Â