Under 19s in NextGen series

fantram

A game of erm... three thirds I think, or maybe one third and two thirds.

For half an hour we were the brighter side, making more chances and thoroughly deserving our lead; lots coming through Grealish and Graham and looking good.

Immediately after we scored, they adjusted to what we were doing through those two, cutting off the supply or just getting close to them. Neither of them appeared to have a plan B and the rest of the side didn't really carry any sort of threat.

They went on to look fitter, better and more organised than we did and thoroughly deserved the win.

Fair play to Drennan who was the only player who gave it that bit of aggression and determination - Grealish is clearly talented, but he'll need to learn how to get that talent into games and he'll need better players around him if he's to look good. Talented, but not someone who drives a team I think, moments rather than a constant buzz - more a Van Der Vaart than a Messi - in a team with Gardner and Johnson, he's a luxury we could very much afford - in this one, not so much and without support he became a peripheral figure.

Left back was as mentioned earlier poor, Devine is a big lad who needs to learn to use his size in challenges. The right back showed some flashes of really good stuff and also had some poor moments; there might be a player in there somewhere, Williams looked reasonable I guess and the two central midfielders were just a bit - meh.

Overall, there's nothing that suggests to me that this squad are likely to progress in the competition.

OutByEaster do you mean jack reminds of VDV ? i've heard a few in my time but not that one ;)

Thinking about it, its a very good shout but jack doesn't have the long distance shooting confidence as VDV has ( not that jack cant for e.g: he did it for the u18's but never for the ressies ). < And im not implying in any sort of way he'll be near VDV's standard ahaa.

But yeah i thought jacko had a great first half,created two great chances on a plate for mikey drennan and also was good with his dribbling and postioning. Second half was bad and he was meant to be switched to the left wing and got dragged in to the centre so many times was like wtf's he doing !?! haha. It was also the first time ive seen him play behind the striker and i think it suits him.

He said he text me last night after the game asking what i thought and told me he had cramp for like the first time ever lol. But he didnt do much wrong in second half just didnt make much of an impact :s

Good post by OBE. I'm afraid that this squad is fairly ordinary in comparison to previous seasons. We huffed and puffed while Lisbon felt their way into the game, but after Drennan scored a well worked goal Sporting took it up several gears and we couldn't get near them.

Grealish is obviously a talented footballer who perhaps tries to do too much when he's on the ball, but with very few passing options it's not his fault. Jack would probably benefit from skipping this group altogether and working full time with the first team squad.

I don't see any other of the current under nineteens figuring in the first team in the future, so the signing of Henke as chief scout is a well timed one.

I took my seven month old granddaughter to her first match last night (wearing her signed Villa kit) and she loved it, but then she's easily impressed at the moment! UTV!!!!

There were a few lads missing last night, Josh Webb, Lewis Kinsella, Graham Burke and Callum Robinson. Jordan Graham is just back from injury and Jack Grealish had been ill in the build up to the game. That is in no way an excuse but might put a bit of perspective on the performance.

In the past, we have had a very good squad of players, from which several have gone on to play in the first team. At the moment we have a decent squad with one or two stand out individuals who could go on to be real top players, this is a far better situation to be in.

I know you think highly of Jordan Graham Andy, but for all his skill he still seems to lack the pace and strength on the ball that is essential to progress in his position. Drennan's got the right attitude but not the size for his type of game and Burke's looked a useful prospect when I've watched him, but then apart from a very young Grealish I don't see any other real prospects in this squad. I hope I'm wrong and I'll go and watch them play at every opportunity of course.

Â