Final Fantasy

hogso

If anyone fancies replaying Final Fantasy VII. A HD version is out on the PC today from here. FFVII PC It's a digital download, costs about 8 quid. Not seen any reviews of it yet, but I think they've basically added higher resolutions/graphics tweaking, achievements, stuff like that. Nothing too fancy though, it's more or less the same PS1 game, just suited to play better on modern pc's, i think.

Well I bought it, and replaced the MIDI soundtrack (my god, it actually sounds worse than I remembered) with the proper one. The charcater models look pretty wonderful at high res, but the backgrounds still look the same, ofc. Which is a shame, but they never made claim to re-doing anything. Maybe a really hardcore modding team will go about fixing the backgrounds...

One really odd thing though, and I've played the first 10 mins, is that Jessie's mouth is constantly open. Like this : O It's quite scary looking. No one else is like that. Unless it was like that in the original too, and I just didnt notice cos it was too hard to make out...?

Worth £8 just for much prettier battles? No. Unless you havent played it in ages, I suppose. Definitely not for those who bought it on PSN. In both PAL and NTSC. Like me. :lol:

I recently read an interview, can't remember where but basically Square Enix made a point that if they remade FFVII, it would mean the end of the Final Fantasy series; almost like running away with their tail between their legs, giving in to pressure to make a quick, easy buck. They made the point that by revisiting an earlier Final Fantasy game meant that the series couldn't progress, that they'd somehow failed and can longer makes games of that standard, which let's face, is sort of true, but it's still a game series that carries a lot of respect in the industry and I can see where they are coming from.

But nothing they will EVER produce will come close to what FF7 was/is.

If anything, they get a little bit worse with ever installment. I played the latest one FFXII-2, for about 5 hours and just thought it was crap.

They already created something that exceeded what FFVII was/is.

It's called Final Fantasy IX.

I recently read an interview, can't remember where but basically Square Enix made a point that if they remade FFVII, it would mean the end of the Final Fantasy series; almost like running away with their tail between their legs, giving in to pressure to make a quick, easy buck. They made the point that by revisiting an earlier Final Fantasy game meant that the series couldn't progress, that they'd somehow failed and can longer makes games of that standard, which let's face, is sort of true, but it's still a game series that carries a lot of respect in the industry and I can see where they are coming from.

If anything, they get a little bit worse with ever installment. I played the latest one FFXII-2, for about 5 hours and just thought it was crap.

gethtefuckout.gif.

i cant work out if some of the glitches have been fixed on the psn version

i cant land on the edge and come out of the highwind the other side and get the tetramagic and more annoyingly i cant seem to get the w item trick to work

OK so ofc I know what the w-item trick is. I have no idea what the other bit refers to though!?

gethtefuckout.gif.

tumblr_m0ss59pNjX1r8ohfp.gif

i cant work out if some of the glitches have been fixed on the psn version

i cant land on the edge and come out of the highwind the other side and get the tetramagic and more annoyingly i cant seem to get the w item trick to work

OK so ofc I know what the w-item trick is. I have no idea what the other bit refers to though!?

I think there are 3 materia caves, KOTR, mime and tetra magic, you need a chocbobo to get all 3, but on the original game there was a glitch because you exit the highwind on the left, if you landed on a cliff you exited on the part you can't land on, on the psn version the highwind turns round before you exit

Getting a gold chocobo without w item is expensive! I'm having to sell mastered materia

That said I've just started disc 3 and I've never been this levelled on it, I've got all the ultimate weapons bar cloud (I'm chasing UW round now) mastered most materia, got all the lvl 4 limits (took ages) and got cloud to lvl 80, I've only really got the chocobos and the weapons to do

Ahh, it does ring a bell, although I can't say I ever used such exploits before. Where are you levelling? It's worth just diving into the crater and fighting the magic pots (or whatever they're called) to level materia for the $ if that's what you need, as well as the Exp.

Couple of bits of FF news;

There is to be an announcement at the Tokyo Games Show on 1st September, as part of the 25th Anniversary of Final Fantasy, to announce the next instalment of the 'Lightning Saga', or whatever it is they're calling it. Most likely it'll be the announcemnt of FF XIII-3.

Also there is an Ebay auction live at the moment for a copy of an American version of FFII on the NES, asking price a mere $50,000 :) It's funny really, cos even though that cart is a one off...it's by far the worst Final Fantasy.

i did all my levelling on discs 1 & 2

disc 1 on wutai go on the beach and fight adamantoise it'll cast shell and shield on itself and then counter every attack so you can level up your limits

disc 2 the forest outside mideel equip weapons/armour with double and fight easy enemies that give you 200/300 AP to level up materia

didnt really focus on leveling up exp just kind of happened whilst doing the other 2

Also there is an Ebay auction live at the moment for a copy of an American version of FFII on the NES, asking price a mere $50,000 :) It's funny really, cos even though that cart is a one off...it's by far the worst Final Fantasy.
Onowaiz. I definitely liked FFII a ton more than FFI. You really need your retro 8-bit goggles on to be able to enjoy either, though.

Also, while that price is nuts, I think we'll be seeing more of this sort of thing as some games fade into antiquity. I remember reading some interesting articles about how certain old games are getting lost to the mists of time. Seems like that should apply less to such a well reproduced title as FFII, but then I guess the US NES version was never officially released so you get serious bragging rights if you're a collector.

I'm embarrassed to say I never finished Final Fantasy VII.

Got up to the Sephiroth battle at the end when he has his different forms (that is the end isn't it?). Never beat him. :oops:

I believe it was around that time that we were moving and I lost the Playstation memory card :bang:

Will have to revisit it one day...

Disc 1, Mythril Mines

That's where the levelling is at.

Yep! I once fully intended to stay there from the very first time you reach it, and level eveyones limit breaks till I had them all upto level 3. This is when I was at uni, so had hours and hours during the day to waste :D It got incredibly boring, so I gave up eventually. I did do enough to geet everyones level 3 limits much earlier than I ever had before, though.

I continue to be impressed by how the battles look on the PC re-release. Look forward to seeing Sephy in high-res action. I'll have to post some comparison screens or something.

You've got to put that right sometime, man. Once you hit level 99, and have mastered most/all materia, Emerald is probably more difficult than Ruby. Most people beat Emerald first though, and if you can beat him, you can beat Ruby. If you do ever get round to it, I wouldnt bother doing the Ruby strategy wherein you kill two members of the team before the fight starts. Too much like cheating. Beat him properly, much more satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

The announcement from the other day was a new game in the 'Lightning Saga', although it wasn't exactly FFXIII-3. It's called 'Lightning Returns - FFXIII'. Yes, they're actually calling it that. It's going to be more an of an action based 3rd person game rather than an RPG unlike the other 2 FFXIII games (as untraditional as they were), somewhat similar to Dirge of Cerberus by the sounds.

It's going to follow a similar principle to Ephemeral Fantasia and Majora's Mask in that time travel is a major theme, with a countdown to the end of the world running throughout as you play, with certain actions slowing it down or speeding it up as you go. Open world, apparently, with Lightning being the only playable character, set 100 years after the end of FFXIII-2. So it'll be curious how they wriggle out of that ending. But I don't suppose it'll be difficult seeing as Lightning existed in a place where time didnt exist during FFXIII-2. So how can the world end...? Yeh. I played the heck out of both the other games and I'm confused. I guess I'll get it though. Fan boy that I am...

They also announced a box set containing every numbered FF game. Apparently they've been wanting to do this for years (as you would expect), but have only now been able to, as FFIII has only just become available on a Sony console. Some of the games are for PS1, PS2, PS3, and they used the PSP to get around the pesky FFIII issue.

Final Fantasy (PS one, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy II (PS one, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy III (PSP, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy IV (PS one, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy V (PS one, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy VI (PS one, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy VII International (PS one, 4 discs)

Final Fantasy VIII (PS one, 4 discs)

Final Fantasy IX (PS one, 4 discs)

Final Fantasy X (PlayStation 2, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy XI Vana Del Collection 2 (PlayStation 2, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy XII (PlayStation 2, 1 disc)

Final Fantasy XIII (PlayStation 3, 1 disc)

+

Special anniversary video disc

Crystal ArtWorks -- an anniversary visual art collection

A two-disc anniversary music selection CD

Final Fantasy XIV Mogu Mogu earring item code

Mini-replica of Amano Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary visual and stand

article-1346402015680-14C3C43E000005DC-140167_636x300.jpg

Yours for ~£280! No expectation of an NA or EU release of course.

Â