Merson arrested after drink drive crash

The_Rev

The Magic man is back on the sauce it seems, he nearly killed himself last night on the M40:

The Guardian"]Paul Merson has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after crashing his Mercedes into a lorry on the M40 near Warwick in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Merson, 43, was pictured leaving hospital with blood stains on the arms of his white shirt and cuts on his face. He appeared to have had stitches for one wound, above his eyebrow.

Merson, formerly of Arsenal, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Portsmouth, and now a Sky Sports pundit, told the Daily Mirror: "I fell asleep and just hit the central reservation. I banged my head on the windscreen and the car is a write-off.

"I'm very lucky to have survived. I managed to get out by myself and the emergency services were brilliant. Now I just want to get home and have some rest."

Merson had been driving back to his home in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, from a charity event in aid of Children in Need in Battersea, south London.

A police spokeswoman said: "We received a report of an accident on the M40 northbound between J14 and 15 at 3.12am this morning involving a black Mercedes ML350 and a lorry.

"Following a roadside breath test, the 43-year-old male driver of the Mercedes was arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol. He was taken to Warwick hospital for treatment to a cut to the head. A blood sample was taken for analysis."

The lorry driver suffered whiplash injuries during the crash and is recovering at home after hospital treatment.

The BBC were reporting on the radio that the lorry he crashed into belongs to the M.O.D.

No sympathy for sleeping or drunk drivers. Hope the lorry driver is ok though.

I think that you will find that the driver is absolutely fine. Whiplash is something that is impossible to diagnose, but the suggestion of it does give you access to a free £3000 in the UK.

If someone reverses into another in a car park they get hit with claims for whiplash nowadays.

"I fell asleep and just hit the central reservation. I banged my head on the windscreen and the car is a write-off."

Heard one report that he fell asleep at wheel

Really? Where did you hear that? :detect::lol: :winkold:

Maybe he was that special kind of drunk, that you're a better driver because you know you're drunk. You know the kinda drunk that you probably shouldn't drive but you do anyway, because... come on, you gotta get a car home, right, I mean what do they expect me to do? Take a bus? Is that what they want? For me to take a bus? Well screw that! You take a bus!

Maybe he was that special kind of drunk, that you're a better driver because you know you're drunk. You know the kinda drunk that you probably shouldn't drive but you do anyway, because... come on, you gotta get a car home, right, I mean what do they expect me to do? Take a bus? Is that what they want? For me to take a bus? Well screw that! You take a bus!

A rich drunk.

Â