Xbox One

hogso

All I'd say is don't compare it to Forza 4, which was the final in the series on the 360, compare it to Forza 1.

Why?

Assume he means because it was the first for xbox 360? If it was i wouldnt even know i dislike racing games.

Yeah spot on, I do understand people being pissed because there are less cars than Forza 4, but on a completely new system things like this are to be expected.

Of course there will be DLC and I'm sure in Forza 6 and so on the base amount of cars will be improved vastly, but at over 30GB it's a hefty amount of content and the gameplay is meant to be really good.

Looking forward to see how the vibrating triggers help.

I don't buy what you're saying at all. The file sizes aren't bigger because devs are all of a sudden working 4 times harder than last gen, it's because more powerful games on more powerful consoles are always going to be bigger. There were games last gen that were around 40GB in size.

They are quite obviously holding cars back, to make more money off people. It's disgusting IMO. Whatever is on the disc or available at release date should always be included when you buy it. I can accept DLC being made after the game, like GTA for example, but they are obviously just trying to whore money out of you. 

1384976898-jetons.png

It appears they can't even do maths correctly when trying to rip you off, unless they are banking on people buying the largest one without realise it isn't 'value for money'

I'm sure I read that Gran Turismo 6 is doing the same kind of thing too. I just won't buy them.

Going back to this for a second, somebody on NeoGAF has decided to do the maths on how much all of the content in Forza would cost. There is a Google Doc going around with the price of all the cars in the game. (link)

The in game currency exchange works on a sliding scale so you get better prices if you buy more tokens. If you buy tokens at the worst exchange rate (ie, buying lots of small packs of tokens) then according to GAF it would cost $2700 to buy all the cars in the game. If you bought tokens at the best exchange rates (ie, buying the big packs of tokens) then it's "only" about $2200. (link)

There are two cars in the game which cost 10,000 tokens (Ferrari 250 GTO and some Lotus F1 car) so they would require a spend of $139.97 (1x 8000 tokens @$99.99 and 2x 1250 tokens at $19.99) in order to buy.  I make that £86.25 at current US dollar to pound sterling exchange rates. I'd imagine ingame exchange rates are slightly different, but bloody hell, those prices are obscene. You can unlock stuff in game of course but even that has been screwed around with in order to push people towards spending more money.  Also from GAF:

After learning a bit more about how Forza 5 works, I must say, they definitely have made some changes that are, without a doubt, designed to encourage people to buy cars with real money to the detriment of the game experience. 

Seems like earning potential and car prices haven't changed. That's the good news. 

But these few things all combine to make a pretty big and noticeable difference:

- No cars unlocked as you level. There is no logical, game-enhancing reason this was taken out. Its something that most everyone enjoyed. Some tweaks could have been to the 'progression' of cars you unlocked, but certainly no one wanted the whole system taken out. 

- Manufacturer affinity is gone. This was something that also could have used some tweaking, but was otherwise a very good idea. Before, you could basically get free upgrades quite quickly. That could have used changing. It was definitely too quick. But again, people liked the system and it didn't warrant taking out. The fact that you can use tokens to buy upgrades now makes it blatantly obvious what the intentions were here. 

- Free Play no longer allows you to drive any car in the game. Before, while some cars were quite expensive, it didn't stop people from the enjoyment of driving them if they wanted to. You just wouldn't own the car, couldn't customize it or race it in career. This was a fantastic compromise, as you could test drive anything you wanted and even if you couldn't afford an expensive car you really liked, you could still get to experience it out on-track. With that gone, it really pushes at the car collector types to pay real money. 

- No buying/selling paints/setups/vinyls. You can still make some money off of this, but there will clearly not be any sort of ecosystem built around this like before. No reason for this to have happened. People *loved* the way it was. 

- Buying cars and upgrades, the game definitely treats 'car tokens' as an equally viable way of bartering. Every step of the way, prices are given in credits and tokens, with equal font size and all, even going as far as having a little pop-up menu to 'confirm' whether you're going to buy with credits or tokens. 

It all amounts to a blatant attempt at encouraging people to spend more money. All at the detriment of the game from several important angles. 

So I was wrong here guys for defending this. I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. Its definitely not like previous Forza's at all and is totally shameful. 

Thats completely obscene.

Disgusting - the developers clearly have utter contempt for their fanbase.

Their fanbase will probably still buy it. They're worthy of utter contempt.

ideally people would boycott pay-to-play games that implement microtrasnsactions, but there's never enough people that do so.

I have a feeling that the person who made that NeoGAF thread hasn't actually played Forza 5.

I agree about the controller, Cliffy, I think I do prefer it though. The vibration motors in the triggers actually help with racing and I like the grip on the analog sticks.

It appears that Xbox One Online has been down for 17 hours and counting? And MS are offering free games to compensate?

I've also just read about an issue with the HDMI through using a set top box - apparently MS didn't take in to account the fact that most European and Aus broadcasts use 50hz, instead of 60hz. This causes a juddering image if you try it. This seems to be a hardware issue aswell, and not something the a patch would fix, although there is some trick to making the console think your TV doesnt support 60hz, but that can in turn change how games look, so you'd have to switch too and fro every time.

I had to read up on that.  It seems this is the article which broke the news but what is basically happening is that every 5th frame from the 50hz source is being shown twice as the console is trying to output 60hz.   The workaround is to set the Xbox One to auto detect HDMI and then manually change the resolution once it has been detected (either to 720 or 1080, it doesn't appear to matter).  Once you have done that the Xbox One will ask you if the image is being displayed correctly. Say "no" and it will switch to 50hz mode.   I dare say Microsoft will patch this fairly quickly as it seems like quite an easy thing for them to fix. 

Nah Xbox Live been up all day as far as I can tell. Got friends who have been playing games. 

The 50hz thing is a bit of a bugger. Though, should be patchable. I'm tempted to run XBMC through the Xbone rather than TV. Will be the ultimate media device then. 

It really shouldn't be hard for them to patch the TV mode to 50hz then when it exits TV mode it reverts to 60hz. 

Hope they patch is Dolby Digital 5.1 too. Seems mad not to have that by default.

Edited by PieFacE

Just had a go at the new Kinect Sports demo and I have to say it plays remarkably well. You have to position your arms as if they're on a jet ski and it senses when you're pulling the throttle and when also you're turning.

Didn't ever use the first Kinect but this one really works well.

Missus got Zoo Tycoon and I just noticed that there are 'community achievements' that can be completed by the entire online community, such as adopting 1000 Komodo Dragons into Zoos in-game.

When the achievement is complete, Microsoft will donate $10,000 of real money to charity programs relevant to the achievement.

Thought that was pretty cool considering everybody is slating MS for DLC and such, in-game achievements actually making an achievement happen in the real world.

Â