Cool Brands?

Juju

don't know if anyone saw recenly that Aston Martin were voted by some mysterious marketing collective as "Britains Coolest Brands".

Now, given the tears and toys out of prams I caused here once when questioning "fashion", I thought I'd revisit the subject albeit in a roundabout fashion.

So heres the link to the story -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15083563

It also lists "international top 10 brands" there.

And a link to the marketing group.

Now, to my mind, theres some odd brands in there - some total gash, and others that I use/like/buy completely unconnected to their coolness, and some I wont touch because I simply know better.

For example - from the UK list - Astons were cool when they were hand built in Newport Pagnall and the bloke who built the engine put a plaque on it to that effect, and the panels were all hand crafted. They were big, grand tourers, rather than sports cars, and still spattered with 007 cool from the 60's. I think of them as pressed panel made badge engineered Jags now, and that to me isn't cool.

Aspalls Cider. This is lovely stuff. I buy it out of choice. Now I know it's cool, I may buy it less. I don't want to be assocuated with the kind of people in pubs who order cool drinks.

Apple - fanboi gash that locks you to the manufacturers revenue stream by an overcontrolled maker who begin to make The Empire look positively benign. Everytime I see an Apple iPhone user, I think, ooh, I can ring people too.. but it doesnt cost me £40 contract and or £400 a phone to do that.... to be, Android is well, not "cooler", but a worthy alternative.

Cobra? Do me a favour, its flat, dull lager brewed in Reading. Wake up and smell the marketing!

Band Olufson. - Well, put it this way, I never found a hifi enthusiast who ever bought B&O as its gash. Its over ecpensive, over designed, and actually not generally that good to listen to. There are many other brands at your local hifi dealer much better for listening to, and isn't that the point, actually, of a decent hi fi?

Green and Black chocolate. Hey, didn't you know its owned by Cadburys, and just past of Kraft - you know, the inventors of cheese in a bottle... Its gritty, grainy naff chocolate. You can get much better for the same cash. Montezuma for example, or even some of the supermarket finest/best ofs are much nicer for a real chocoholic to munch on.

Ducati? Well, I'm a biker, and I don't think they've made a nice looking bike for nearly 20 years now. Compare the Monster and 916 with the multistrada or the 1198... Ducati, might be geting better under the engine covers, but what lies on top is just ugly. I'd rate Triumph much higher these days.

Morgan? Ok, I understand why people buy them, but since when was living in 1937 cool?

Jelly Belly sweets. Genuinely delicious, but f**king expensive. I used to get them as a treat as a kid when they were only available from Harrods or Selfridges, but these days, they're just mass marketed sweets. Whats cool about that?

XBOX? Did the fanbois win? Can a kids console ever actually be "cool"? Its jsut a PC without a keyboard for morons who can't do excel and would send a frag grenade at MS word.

Top Trumps? Just riding a wave of nostalgia from 40 somethings who remeber when it was an exciting accessible craze in the playground. But this was BEFORE Thatcher got elected... how can somethign so old be cool now?

Stella. Shit brewed in Reading. - Refer to Cobra, only less flat and for the more domestically violent of you.

Tiger Beer. I used to like this. Then recently, I got a 4 pack, and it was not so nice. I looked at the label, and guess what, its no longer imported. Its brewed in Reading. - see Cobra and Stella.

Jagermeister? A spirit so awful you need to sink it into a pint or mix it with some awful energy drink that tastes like screenwash? Howis that "cool"? Its student drinking. And when were students ever cool? The point of being a student is to get your uncool years over away from the privicy of your parents, surely?

Liberty? I just ordered a shirt in their fabric. I am fat, 42 and less cool than a burning meteor heading towards the sun. When people like me wear your clothing, the brand is DEAD! I almost bought a Superdry T shirt and hoodie last week, just to annoy the yoof who still do.

So, in essence, I just dont get this list. it seems more an itemised league table of marketing budgets, than any genuine quest for cool brands.

Or have I got it all wrong again?

What brands on the list do you object to? And dont get me started on the international list.. Harley Davidsion. Agricultural 2 wheeled tractors for retired bankers looking to release their inner rebel with their pension fund.

So Im thinking for say Hifi, that Linn should be there.

Im thinking that for beer, any number of beers are "cooler" to be seen drinking, my local bar to my last office did draft Budvar Dark and Leffe on tap as well!

Thats way cooler. Or a pint of Thornbridge Jaipur I had in my local spoons last weekend was simply far superior in every dimension.

Surely for cars, Alfa would have to be well higher, not for exclucivity, but that every car they made for the last 20 years has been drop dead gorgeous....

I hand it over to you for your thoughts.... What brands do you or dont you touch, and particularly from this list, and why?

Well I have a Nikon camera who are on the list. Not because I think they're a cool brand, but if you boil it down to a choice between Canon and Nikon, only frontal lobotomy patients choose Canon! ;)

Well I have a Nikon camera who are on the list. Not because I think they're a cool brand, but if you boil it down to a choice between Canon and Nikon, only frontal lobotomy patients choose Canon! ;)

Risso just goes on the uncool list :-)

Personally I just buy stuff if I need it or like it .. Can't say I'm fussed about if it's cool or not...

Which makes me cool ..doesn't it :-)

Well, personally I'm a big advocate of Eyre & Baxter, in particular some of their Round Shank Irons:

electric-branding-irons750w.jpg

VICI LV19/LV25 and ALK ER Tubular Element Irons are available up to 400 watts for this bad-boy, and are great for when the facility to regularly change dies is required. Plus the engraved die plate can be any size from 10mm diameter up to 100 x 25mm.

Jagermeister? A spirit so awful you need to sink it into a pint or mix it with some awful energy drink that tastes like screenwash? Howis that "cool"? Its student drinking. And when were students ever cool? The point of being a student is to get your uncool years over away from the privicy of your parents, surely?

We dont all drink Jaeger with red bull. Like to think im man enough to not to stoop to the low levels of Jaegerbombs

Im thinking that for beer, any number of beers are "cooler" to be seen drinking, my local bar to my last office did draft Budvar Dark and Leffe on tap as well!

really hate people that cause they drink a certain beer they seem cool

There appears to be some confusion on here between "the product" and "the Brand".

So, in essence, I just dont get this list. it seems more an itemised league table of marketing budgets, than any genuine quest for cool brands.

A marketing strategy can only sew the seed. Granted, the more money that is spent the more seeds can be sewn. Ultimately it is the consumer body who ultimately define the Brand.

XBOX? Did the fanbois win? Can a kids console ever actually be "cool"? Its jsut a PC without a keyboard for morons who can't do excel and would send a frag grenade at MS word.

PC gamers really are dickheads. Get over the fact you're no longer the favourite.

Spot on mate, they always think there superior or something.

Â