The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

How would changing manager bring further criticism? Everyone wants McLeish gone. Keeping him is what will stoke up criticism further.

Here's an example:

It would be looking for our 6th manager in just over a year

A comment that, while technically accurate, in isolation does not take any of the surrounding circumstances into account, and is therefore presented as another negative.

If i were Mr Lerner, McLeish would get another season, purely on the basis that anything else that I would do would most likely be wrong as well.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i were Mr Lerner, McLeish would get another season, purely on the basis that anything else that I would do would most likely be wrong as well.
What's that supposed to mean?

I dont see him making June, I dont really see him making it past next week.

As for the can we afford to get rid of him, well there may be something written in his contract with regards to targets not being met, it might be that its not that expensive to get rid.

I think mcleish should get another season, i don`t want him to, he doesn`t deserve one. But randy appointed him so he should stick by him for at least another season.

From the boards point of view the logical decision is to keep him on. It`s their ego on the line aswell here, they think he is a good manager, he will be allowed to change players and we shouldn`t keep on changing managers as we do.

If you put it in perspective and forget the merry go round of negative conjecture on the message boards, he has had one bad season out of a contracted 3, and he will argue he wasn`t using his own team.

Because whatever the owner does, it will be wrong.

He has ridden the storm and while keeping McLeish won't bring too much sunshine, we will have a better season next year.

Changing the manager will only stoke up the criticism further, particularly if a new manager has a bad start to next season.

I don't buy that last part. Expectations have been driven so low by the awfulness of the past 2 years that fans aren't going to be expecting any new manager to come in and perform miracles. We just want someone who's going to put out a team who'll play in a way we can actually get behind - one that will try to score goals and try to win.

McLeish has given fans absolutely nothing to support. A new manager would rekindle hope and even if the season goes badly again, I can't imagine any fans saying 'if only we'd kept McLeish it would be better'.

Lerner may calculate that he will get criticized if he changes manager and it starts badly, but he must surely see that he is going to get criticized a hell of a lot more if he retains the manager and it starts badly.

As someone pointed out recently, there has never been any indication of what Randy Lerner is thinking, at any point of his tenure.

I had the feeling last week that it was all sorted out prior to the Spurs game, and he would be gone. As time has worn on, and putting myself in Mr Lerner's shoes, i would think that there is little point in changing the manager, so i have changed my view and think that he will be here.

Why do you think there's little point changing?

He has ridden the storm and while keeping McLeish won't bring too much sunshine, we will have a better season next year.

Changing the manager will only stoke up the criticism further, particularly if a new manager has a bad start to next season.

What the hell does this mean ? You can't say that with any conviction or certainty whatsoever.

By exactly the same reasoning, we could have a worse season next year.

I will also note that this myth fans were never behind him is bollocks. Many of us supported him for months before it gradually dawned on us we were turning into Birmingham's playstyle and he wasnt transitioning to a more attractive game. I just dont want to watch his style of play.

Whatever he does won't be wrong. Whatever he does - i.e. whoever he hires - will undoubtedly have a short term boost at least on fans and players, stop all of the negativity surrounding the club, stop some of the negativity surrounding his and Paul Faulkner's own roles at the club. And it would probably boost season ticket sales too. Both Lambert or Martinez would have that effect I'm sure, but not just them.

As to what will happen, I'm in two minds. No point voting, I really think either way is as likely as the other right now. I hope we get hammered at Norwich and there's anti-McLeish and Randy chanting throughout to finally tip the balance.

Just read the last five pages and catching up.

O'Hara is the same player as Barry Bannan, but a little bigger. No thanks

A better season that this one would not be difficult, even for a knob like McLeish.

Trees, I know what you mean. Why should Randy appoint another crap Manager, he might as well stick with this one.

I think he'll still be here. I DO NOT WANT THAT!!

McLeish would be a fool to resign because it would cost him a lot of money in severance pay.

Randy would be a fool not to sack him because it would soon cost him a hell of a lot more money than a compensation package, if he were to keep AM as manager.

There is no point change for Lambert or Martinez

Talk about out of the frying pan & into the fire

Are you on a wind up!! Behave. McLeish vs Martinez, no contest. Better football, eye for a bargain etc. Martinez wins for me and probably 99% of all Villa fans. Lambert is still new to the Premier League but looks assured and again, has an eye for a bargain.

There is no point change for Lambert or Martinez

Talk about out of the frying pan & into the fire

Well i would be happy with a manager who could beat Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool. It is something that McLeish hasn't even tried to do.

As someone pointed out recently, there has never been any indication of what Randy Lerner is thinking, at any point of his tenure.

I had the feeling last week that it was all sorted out prior to the Spurs game, and he would be gone. As time has worn on, and putting myself in Mr Lerner's shoes, i would think that there is little point in changing the manager, so i have changed my view and think that he will be here.

Why do you think there's little point changing?

What the hell does this mean ? You can't say that with any conviction or certainty whatsoever.

By exactly the same reasoning, we could have a worse season next year.

It's an opinion on a forum of opinions.

The general consensus on here is that if McLeish stays, then we will go down, ergo a worse season than this year, so it is that reasoning, coupled with fact that McLeish has been extremely unlucky this year, that I think that things will improve.

I don't want him to stay, but I will understand if he does.

And only clairvoyants are certain about things, and I'm not one of them

:winkold:

Nah, not buying all this crap about Martinez or lambert

Totally unproven, well other than Martinez who proves each year to be utterly inept for 95% of the season

Â