The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he hasn't gone by next wednesday -he's staying IMO.

The problem with trying to second guess that decision - if you have to get inside of the mind of the person who appointed him in the first place.

If he is going and I say if because its far from certain that he is, I personally don't think he is, then it makes sense to wait until after the Norwich game. There is nothing to be gained from removing him from the job now and just having more uncertainty around the club.

If he is going he should be sacked immediately after the Norwich game when the season is over and when prospective targets will be more willing to talk and clubs more willing to allow them to or at least more accepting of the outcome when they do.

If for instance we want Lambert I can't see him leaving Norwich before the last game of the season especially as that game is against us.

There really isn't anything to be gained from sacking McLeish yet other than pandering to the fans and Lerner has already shown with McLeish's appointment he isn't doing that.

If he remains in post beyond the days following the Norwich game then we've really got problems but it was always highly unlikely he would go after yesterdays game.

All these so called pundits need to **** right off. They are paid a lot of money to watch football whereas we PAY a lot of money to watch HOOFBALL!

Possibly the only positive of McLeish is that he doesn't play 'HOOFBALL', as you put it, unlike the two previous incumbents of his position.

Indeed Dunne and Collins have probably felt distinctly underused as the team have been trying to pass the ball, albeit not very well.

But then 'HOOFBALL' clearly gives better results, so perhaps we had better go and find another such manager.

We saw the exact same thing last season where gary mac was saying houllier is planning for next season and is looking forward to it. I think its 50-50 if he goes. Unfortunatley were not going to attract big managers but what worries me is by the time we act (if we do get rid) martinez will be at wba and lambert signing a contract extension. Mcleish out NOW

If you believe it to be 50/50 then you should go put some money on McLeish staying... you'll get fantastic odds.

I personally would say there was a 10% chance of him staying.

McLeish is getting the wage bill down whilst maintaining PL football

Clearly that's his brief for 2-3 years

Still think Lerner will take action though after Norwich, albeit yesterday's attendance of 36k was encouraging

Does anyone know how ST sales are going ?

How many did we sell this season? Was it about 20,000

I remember seeing a tweet about a month ago, think it was from Kendrick, saying that he has figures stating that the Season Ticket sales for next season are currently on par with where they were the season before.

Couldn't quite believe it myself, but then Villa are putting massive amounts of discounts and offers out there at the moment to try and improve attendances for this season and next... likelyhood is that come the beginning of next season we will be well behind on ST sales however I don't know how many we sold this season.

Just a wee comment on the Shearer comments on MOTD.

Shearer is what i would call a 'safe pundit.' Someone who is not going to say anything controversial and rock the boat. Thats why he's working for the BBC. So i wouldn't get upset about anything he says. He's just following what has generally been quoted in the media and will continue to do so.

It is my opinion that fans should have a forum to voice their opinion on such programs as MOTD and Soccer Saturday. Certainly as far as MOTD is concerned there is the obvious problem of time constraints but to quote one or two emails from fans to the likes of Shearer would be fun to watch and not too time consuming.

It is however Soccer Saturday where a phone in, even once a month, would be more workable and maybe then someone like Charlie Nic would have to answer to his ill informed comments concerning our club on Saturday.

This season, more than any other, has highlighted how clueless the british media are. From club biased newspaper reporting to ill informed television punditry.

Being Sunderland based I closely witnessed the press insistence that Steve Bruce was hounded out of SAFC because of his Geordie roots. Despite numerous fan interviews about the poor performances, blatent lying (by bruce), and some terrible signings the media will still site SB's background for the reason he left the club.

It's up to us as Villa fans to try and get the message across. So, if Randy does make the right (and only logical) decision let's make sure the press are aware of the reasons behind it and, as much as possible, make ourselves heard loud and clear.

There was a nice bit in the Guardian today from their regular "Five things we learned this week" column.

4) Staying up is not something Aston Villa fans should be celebrating

One of the great joys of the league format is that surviving relegation is so often celebrated like a championship trophy. Despite a creditable 1-1 draw with Spurs, there was no such jubilation at Villa Park. Perhaps the overwhelming emotion was simple, inglorious relief, as the home side secured their Premier League status, barring a mathematical miracle. The sense of a narrow escape is borne out by the statistics: Villa were dominated, scraping 37% possession, and creating four chances to Spurs' 22.

Despite the footballing gods apparently being with their team today, Villa capitulated. With Spurs reduced to 10 men, Richard Dunne's needless challenge gave Spurs an easy route back into the game, following Ciaran Clark's fortunate opener. Villa have now dropped 22 points from winning positions this season. Had they never relinquished a lead, Alex McLeish's side would be one point behind Chelsea. If that were the case, furiously daubed banners would be in short supply in the Holte End.

The reality is that Villa have scored fewer than all but Stoke, and have won fewer games than doomed Blackburn. It is possible they will fail to reach 40 points, surviving only by others' shortcomings. McLeish has been fighting an uphill battle since his move across the second city, yet he has done little to stem the tide of ill feeling. He has introduced several young, promising players, yet they have transferred from a vibrant, successful youth team to a dispirited first XI that is ritualistically set up simply to avoid defeat.

One protest sign unveiled at full time summed the fans' feelings up: "It's not where you came from, it's where you're taking us." For now at least, the destination seems to be nowhere, rather than down. There may be hope for renewal somewhere amidst the frustration and recriminations, but McLeish seems the wrong man to lead the recovery. NM (link to article)

Lets go through some of those points again.

Scored fewer goals than everybody but Stoke.

Won fewer games than everybody but Wolves, who were relegated ages ago.

Failed to win back to back games all season.

Worst sequence of home results in the clubs entire history.

Lost more points from winning positions than anybody else in the league.

If we draw next week then we break the record for number of draws in a 20 team league. The current record holders are also us btw.

between November 2007 and May 2012, out of almost 150 games, a team managed by Alex McLeish managed to score more than two goals in a game on a massive 10 different occasions

Guest av1

With player decisions been made for next season (the Holman signing and release of culler) sadly i think decision on Mcliesh has also already been made.

As has been pointed out in the Randy Lerner thread, whilst there is absolutely no chance of being relegated this year, we head into the final game of the season not mathematically safe.

I often hear about Mcliesh being 'a nice bloke' well resign.

Act now Randy before its to late.

The idiot has to go, simple as.

Problem is, as we all keep saying, will Randy admit that he has **** up and actually grow a pai in order to sack him? It took medical advice for him to agree to let Houllier go!

I just don't see how he can be defended. Worst ever home record. Lowest points total in a Premier League season. No goals from set plays. Shit football. Can't hold onto a lead when we do fluke a goal.

It's just utter shit.

We've been lucky that there have been three worst teams than us, and if this idiot is still in charge next season, we probably won't be so lucky.

He's got to go. His position is untenable, although I'm still not 100% convinced that we haven't been sold a smoke screen and he'll still be here next year.

Eck has gotta go now, makes no sense to keep him on for the Norwich game. We are safe now, we should be readying Villa for after McLeish. Setting manager targets and swiftly appointing at the end of the season so that a new boss can have a full preseason and plenty of time to improve the squad. They'll be a much more positive atmosphere around the Villa fan base if he isn't in charge this week!

I'm a little concerned he's not off.

Lerner will bang on about continuity etc.

The stupid newspaper advert only helped in keeping him here I think as well.

This was my fear that any protest by the fans would rebound on us and i have stated as such previously in this thread.

Lerner has shown that he doesn't care what we think and any fan protest would only have steeled his resolve. The man doesn't admit when he is wrong and the only thing he is going to listen to is results, performances, which in turn will affect ticket sales.

Â