The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Ok gotcha John, yes that's a fair point.

I think we have to give McLeish the summer and if by January things haven't improved then yes, we should begin the process of hiring a new manager again. That in turn may lead to another 12 months of uncertainty of course.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think it makes sense to give the guy the summer and whatever cash we have to invest in developing his squad and then give him until January?

If we are that unsure about him we should get rid in the summer.

No, I never said that. IMO he should get the summer to shape things and if we're struggling come Xmas, then a rethink is needed

...I remember not too long ago when opposition teams were lucky to get a point at Villa Park ! now they must look forward to it as an easy 3 points.

am sure under MON many teams came here and left with points as we struggled to break them down

There's some truth in what you're saying, but this season is already as bad stats-wise as any of MON's seasons at home. Six have already been lost which equals MON's worst home record (2007-08...) for the whole season.

In truth, it is probably some years since Villa Park was the fortress that people remember, but under McLeish the situation has got much worse.

So you think it makes sense to give the guy the summer and whatever cash we have to invest in developing his squad and then give him until January?

No, I never said that. IMO he should get the summer to shape things and if we're struggling come Xmas, then a rethink is needed

That is the same thing.

That is the same thing.

Of course it isn't, you're saying we're "that unsure", I'm saying, he needs more time. He's had a difficult first season under a really difficult situation.

Let's see how he goes in season 2

That is the same thing.

Of course it isn't, you're saying we're "that unsure", I'm saying, he needs more time. He's had a difficult first season under a really difficult situation.

Let's see how he goes in season 2

But you aren't saying give him season two, you said give him until January so clearly you aren't sure.

You are saying give him the summer and then get rid in January which personally I think is utter madness if he has been given the summer to build a squad of his players.

He should go in the summer.

It doesnt really work as simply as that, He'd only go at Xmas if day we were say 17th or below

In an ideal world he will get the full 2nd season

No manager (other than perhaps SAF) is only ever 6 games away from the sack

He's either given money in the summer to fill the obvious gaps that will be left in the squad and allowed next season to see what he can do or he's sacked. Giving him money in the summer to do the rebuild and then only giving him until January is sheer madness as Trent says.

Me I've always been fairly ambivalent about the current managerial situation, I don't think he's that good though I don't think he's as bad as he's painted by some. He's clearly been given a brief to vastly reduce the wage bill this summer and to fill the gaps by cheaper means, using whatever younger players he can to achieve it. He's also been set a target of survival, anything more is a bonus for the club I suspect who in private probably have more "realistic" aims than they publicly state. He'll achieve both of his objectives for his first year in charge, so I can't see how he can be under threat, he'll get his second year whether we like it or not.

Best get used to it I think.

It doesnt really work as simply as that, He'd only go at Xmas if day we were say 17th or below

In an ideal world he will get the full 2nd season

No manager (other than perhaps SAF) is only ever 6 games away from the sack

In an ideal world he would never have been appointed.

Still think Lerner gets off far too easily.

We have a manager who has been given the target of just surviving and all the negative focus is on him, the players and a man who left the club over 18 months ago.

Unacceptable IMO that Lerner got us into this mess and unacceptable that his only ambition for the club now is to survive in the premier league.

Â