The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

What makes anybody think that we'll be spending at anywhere near the previous levels in 12 months time?

It seems to me that the wage bill as it stands is unsustainable, therefore removing the big earners we currently have will only serve to bring the wage bil down to what ti should be, leaving little or no room for new big money players.

Cant think of many up and coming managers that would be prepared to walk into a club that has no room for significant investment, the draw of a PL club can only go so far if you're likely to get fan protests half way through a season.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were able to sit down with Randy for five minutes our problem could be very clearly explained. "Swansea do not have better players than Aston Villa Randy, but they do have far, far, far better coaching. Simples!"

Thats what makes yesterdays defeat so much worse. It was so clear that everything about the set up swansea had was better than us. The players were clear about what they were doing and their movement and passing was clearly from good coaching and having it drilled into them on a daily basis.

They taught us a lesson in how to play football.

Spot on BJ. If every Villa fan can see the blindingly obvious truth, then surely RL/PF can see it as well!

I wish they could.

Cant think of many up and coming managers that would be prepared to walk into a club that has no room for significant investment, the draw of a PL club can only go so far if you're likely to get fan protests half way through a season.

A manager is only going to get fan protests half way through a season if he is a clueless, boring, negative cock.

I think alot of up and coming managers would jump at the chance of managing our club regardless of the restrictions. It's the fact that the board didn't make an effort of trying harder.

What makes anybody think that we'll be spending at anywhere near the previous levels in 12 months time?

It seems to me that the wage bill as it stands is unsustainable, therefore removing the big earners we currently have will only serve to bring the wage bil down to what ti should be, leaving little or no room for new big money players.

Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert, Poyet etc are up and coming managers and good coaches who would love to manage the Villa if they were actually offered the job. (imo)

I don't think we're looking at one season of transition here. I think more likely we're looking at two or three.

Two or three seasons to get some of the high earners off the books, to establish some of the younger players as fully-fledged first teamers by giving them extended runs in the first team, and more importantly, two or three years of very limited spending so that the football club is more sustainable or even making a tiny bit of profit.

Randy has obvously taken a financial hit over the last two years. And things like that don't just turn around in a year unless you strike oil or something.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Heskey, Cuellar, Beye, Guzan and Marshall leave at the end of the season. We have Delfouneso and Weimann as back up strikers, and Siegriest into the first-team squad as back up goalkeeper. Then we may buy a cheap central defender to replace Cuellar, maybe a cheap right back too, but that'd be it.

Then the following season I think would be Petrov's last for Villa as his contract will be up. Might also see some of the defenders like Dunne, Collins and Warnock moved on that point.

So that'd be two seasons of little spending, so that by summer 2014 we can start spending a bit of money to replace the defence. Then players like Albrighton, Bannan, Delph, Herd, Delfouneso will have had more regular experience in the Premier League, so we can look at just improving the squad rather than replacing.

Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert, Poyet etc are up and coming managers and good coaches who would love to manage the Villa if they were actually offered the job. (imo)

I may be wrong but I thought that Martinez was offered the job but turned us down in favour of that bigger club Wigan!!

I may be wrong but I thought that Martinez was offered the job but turned us down in favour of that bigger club Wigan!!

Apparently we only offered him an interview and then Whelan turned it into a massive PR stunt.

A manager is only going to get fan protests half way through a season if he is a clueless, boring, negative cock.

You may want to believe that, but MoN was far from negative and boring and a fair few wanted rid of him despite relative success. IMO if we had Poyet or anybody else playing the best football possible and we lost 2-0 to Swansea at home and were 12th in the league there'd still be moans and boos, maybe not as widespread as with AMc but there'd be unhappy supporters.

The issue is we as Villa fans think that Villa should be one of the biggest clubs in the country whether correctly or not (that's another debate) I'm not convinced enough of the fanbase would have the patience to allow any manager to try to build the squad without an almost instant return in terms of results. And lets face it with the amount of money avaailable in fees and wages it would take even a decent manager a few seasons to shape our squad into anything resembling a good footballing side.

These boards and the ground would be inundated with people claiming the manager wasn't ready for the step up or wasn't experienced enough to handle the pressure of Villa etc etc.

I would be very patient if a manager like Rodgers came in and it took him years to get us like Swansea. Even if we got relegated.

I wouldn't be patient with McLeish's philosophy even if we finished top half twice. Because sooner or later it'll damage us long term just like what MON's legacy is doing right now.

Unfortunately RL's archaic approach to Martinez was by letter through Dave Whelan, requesting permission to invite Martinez to put himself forward for a shortlist interview.

Whelan being the savvy media streetfighter that he is, turned it into a 24 hour ultimatum to RM to decide on keeping his job at Wigan (with a considerable raise in salary) or join an unspecified shortlist for a job he may or may not have got. Not surprising that RM didn't actually get to talk to Randy under those circumstances.

Its not a simple as changing the manager IMO. Its the vision the upper management has for the club thats important.We have had 2 managers that the present management team have picked, GH and AM, both had their fans and also their enemies within our fans.

GH had heart problems, was out of the game for some time. AM, relegated blues, was our rivals manager and his team played ugly boring football. (he was also ginger......... :winkold: ) Can someone tell me who has the football knowledge (at senior level) to make these major decisions? We seem to have no direction.

As someone pointed out earlier, how can we go from interviewing Martinez to appointing AM or from having GH as our manager? They are completely different beasts, at least IMO. If AM was a risk then why not point him on a rolling contract? Who sacked MON? Who carried on with signing Ireland when we was managerless?

All the succesful clubs have a strong upper managerment team, Spurs, Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea spring to mind. Infact Levy, ATM, would be my dream signing for Villa.

Now im not sure if Randy Lerner has a really active roll in these decisions (i would doubt it very much). He does however have power over his managment team, ie the people who make these kind of decisions.

Randy ownership of the Browns shows us one thing.......

"On December 21, 2009, as Mangini's first season was coming to a close, former Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren was hired as team President and was given authority over the team's football operations. This hire was made after Browns owner Randy Lerner announced that he wished to bring in a "serious, credible leader" to steer the team in the right direction"

See here

Randy..... Villa need a "serious, credible leader" to steer the team in the right direction"

Rodgers

I know from Chelsea he was highly rated and it was Mourinhio that helped get him the Watford job

didn't work out for him there , but maybe Watford didn't give him enough time ?

That could be the problem with any of the "upcoming" managers being banded about here , would they be given the time ?

McLeish's decision making is some of the worst I have ever seen. His team selections are poor to say the least.

After the Chelsea game I cant believe he reverted to playing Bent up front alone at home against Swansea. Everbody else seems to realise that Bent needs to play in a 4-4-2 with a strike partner. Everybody knows gabby is wasted out wide.

Everybody knew what substitutions needed to made against Swansea yet he takes off Ireland and leaves a tired Petrov and ineffectual Clark on the pitch.

He didnt bring Bannan on till 85 mins???? I honestly have no idea what he is doing at times, sadly neither does he. 4 home deafeats on the bounce is poor, we all know we should play differently at home and be on the front foot. 4-5-1 counter attack is not the way to play at home.

The guy is a complete baffoon

Rodgers

I know from Chelsea he was highly rated and it was Mourinhio that helped get him the Watford job

didn't work out for him there , but maybe Watford didn't give him enough time ?

It did work out for him at Watford, its what got him his move to Reading where it didnt work out for him, in fact he was fairly awful there.

McLeish's decision making is some of the worst I have ever seen. His team selections are poor to say the least.

After the Chelsea game I cant believe he reverted to playing Bent up front alone at home against Swansea. Everbody else seems to realise that Bent needs to play in a 4-4-2 with a strike partner. Everybody knows gabby is wasted out wide.

Everybody knew what substitutions needed to made against Swansea yet he takes off Ireland and leaves a tired Petrov and ineffectual Clark on the pitch.

He didnt bring Bannan on till 85 mins???? I honestly have no idea what he is doing at times, sadly neither does he. 4 home deafeats on the bounce is poor, we all know we should play differently at home and be on the front foot. 4-5-1 counter attack is not the way to play at home.

The guy is a complete baffoon

I tend to agree with this the only question and problem is is can Stephen Ireland play in a 442, I'm not so sure.

Not quite sure what you mean claret75?

Let me clarify lol

Mcleish was arrogant before kick-off and had the stuffing well and truly knocked out of him by the end of the match, you'd think he'd be old and wise enough to know how quickly things can change wouldn't you? No? Fair enough...

Â