The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

The issue with McLeish's new signings is that they will be bought with consideration to his preferred tactics.

With the players he currently has, he DOESN'T have to play negative football. He could try and set his team up to win games, and create a strategy that best serves us winning games, rather than one that focuses on us avoiding defeat.

So I'm just assuming that if he's doing that now, then it's how he wants his team to play. So it wouldn't surprise me if he looks at players who will do this for him. So players like Nikola Zigic and Barry Ferguson are in that mould and it wouldn't surprise me if those were the sort of players he went for.

Well all you've got to look at is what he's done when he's had a squad of his players playing his way. That's what's so depressing. It's not like he just needs to get the right players in and then we'll be fine. Odds are that when he's molded (or should I say destroyed) into what he wants it to be then we'll be just as bad if not WORSE!

Why did the board think hiring McLeish would help our academy long term? Did they even do their research?

I don't know. Who knows what was going through their heads when they appointed him. Absolute disaster.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it , the 'any dross but McLeish' brigade will never be won over.

I look forward to seeing his own choice of players next season. This year reminds me too much of O'Neill's first year, the one with 17 league draws. This time five years ago we were going through a run of 12 league and cup games without a win.

My main concern is I think he has neglected Guzan and Cuellar such that he risks losing two excellent players for peanuts at most.

It doesnt remind me in the slightest of the ONeill first year. We actually had a gameplan which was counter attacking football. I have no idea what McGish's game plan is.

As for waiting for to see his signings I would rather wait for paint to dry. This ginger fool will do nothing good for this club and the sooner he goes the better.

The issue with McLeish's new signings is that they will be bought with consideration to his preferred tactics.

With the players he currently has, he DOESN'T have to play negative football. He could try and set his team up to win games, and create a strategy that best serves us winning games, rather than one that focuses on us avoiding defeat.

So I'm just assuming that if he's doing that now, then it's how he wants his team to play. So it wouldn't surprise me if he looks at players who will do this for him. So players like Nikola Zigic and Barry Ferguson are in that mould and it wouldn't surprise me if those were the sort of players he went for.

Well all you've got to look at is what he's done when he's had a squad of his players playing his way. That's what's so depressing. It's not like he just needs to get the right players in and then we'll be fine. Odds are that when he's molded (or should I say destroyed) into what he wants it to be then we'll be just as bad if not WORSE!

Why did the board think hiring McLeish would help our academy long term? Did they even do their research?

I don't know. Who knows what was going through their heads when they appointed him. Absolute disaster.
I'll tell you exactly what they were thinking (IMO) "thank god here is someone with recent premier experience who is cheapish and is willing to come and manage us under the restrictions we will place on him, lets hire him"

What I find most depressing is that I love this club so much, but I hold so little power over it. It's a bizarre feeling.
What's bizzare for me is that I asked a question here about 14 months or so ago which roughly went "how in touch with the club do you feel" and basically people said that they felt more connected to the club than at any time in recent years

What I find most depressing is that I love this club so much, but I hold so little power over it. It's a bizarre feeling.
What's bizzare for me is that I asked a question here about 14 months or so ago which roughly went "how in touch with the club do you feel" and basically people said that they felt more connected to the club than at any time in recent years

And when MON was in charge I felt like that, a community feel, we were all pulling in the right direction and understood what the club was aiming to achieve.

Now, I'm completely lost and find myself discussing the same points with friends over and over again. Why buy Bent for £18m then sell your two wingers 6 months later? Why hire a manager with a appalling record - especially when there was such outrage from the fans?

Something has gone drastically wrong, and unfortunately the fans are pretty powerless to change things.

I thought the performance against Stoke was interesting.

We played for the most part a kind of quasi-Houllier tippy tappy football. We kept the ball on the deck without any real penetration, drive or ambition but it was at least in the main watchable. It didn't have me gouging my eyes out. For the very first time as our manager I actually saw a little tactical nous from McLeish. We're not going to get anything from a side like Stoke by going toe to toe, so he tried something different. For the first time I thought, well done.

Now of course, one swallow does not make a summer. Even if he does adopt a more Houllier-esq style with us he lacks in so many other areas it still won't be enough. There are clear confidence and understanding issues within the squad. They look lost out there at times and don't have a built in plan b. But it was better. Still dull as dishwater, but better none the less.

I look forward to seeing his own choice of players next season. This year reminds me too much of O'Neill's first year, the one with 17 league draws. This time five years ago we were going through a run of 12 league and cup games without a win.

and MON never got this much abuse

and MON never got this much abuse

But MON wasn't hired from our most bitter rivals, having recently gotten them relegated because of the negative football they played.

In 35 years, I have never been so apathetic towards the club. It is part of my life and indoctrinated into my kids lives too.

Now, I cant be bothered to go to VP, I am not that interested if we win as it means that for just a few minutes it will make PF feel like he is a tactical genius to appoint McLeish, if we lose, I am not bothered as its sort of expected with McLeish in charge. My kids didnt get the kit this year, as not really bothered and to be honest, they dont want to be Villa on FIFA 12 anymore, they want to Barcelona or Madrid.

Totally apathetic and that is depressing in itself.

One game Dave, he is still a shite manager

I didn't allude that he wasn't. I don't trust him going forward at all. I'm a little more confident of staying up given the last few performances, Liverpool aside.

It's OK for even someone as vehemently opposed as myself to spot things in a performance that give them a little hope. I'd be interested in your thoughts on what I actually wrote Rich?

Although we've been through this a million times here MON's squad in his first season wasn't even close in quality to the squad that we have now.

We had an inexperienced 20 year old Gabby Agbonlahor playing his first full season, a shite Milan Baros, Gavin McCann, Steven Davis, Liam Ridgewell, Jlloyd Samuel and Aaron Hughes as starting players back then.

Like it or not Mc Leish is not likely to be leaving this job anytime soon, the club is probably in a position that they expect to be and finishing mid table is where the Board realistically will aim for this season. The top 6 is not on the agenda but would be an unlikely Bonus, The top 4 is now a pipe dream that will not be achieveable as we all know.

The best we can hope for is a more attack minded approach but we simply do not have enough creative players to sustain that type of play and have the confidence in the back 4 at the same time. It is a vicious circle that until better players arrive we have to accept i'm afraid.

Â