The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

he did infuriate when he was buying the likes of Harewood and Knight in his first summer window

Knight's tenure is persistently and erroneously viewed with malign when he was, in truth, pretty solid for us. We've had worse defenders.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong he did ok for us while he was here, and we did alright out of the transfer overall making back the fee at the end. It was just that I was hoping for some world/top class players during the first summer window with the Lerner funding, and we end up with Harewood and Knight who lets face it are average players at best. I especially remember the disappointment with the Harewood signing, and the will we unveil a secret signing at the kit launch. :lol:

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he did infuriate when he was buying the likes of Harewood and Knight in his first summer window

Knight's tenure is persistently and erroneously viewed with malign when he was, in truth, pretty solid for us. We've had worse defenders.

I'd agree with this. Zat did pretty well for us, never gave less than his all and for 3.5 mill was a good buy. We also made half a mill profit when we sold him to Bolton.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong he did ok for us while he was here, and we did alright out of the transfer overall making back the fee at the end. It was just that I was hoping for some world/top class players during the first summer window with the Lerner funding, and we end up with Harewood and Knight who lets face it are average players at best. I especially remember the disappointment with the Harewood signing, and the will we unveil a secret signing at the kit launch. :lol:

Granted, the acquisition of Knight (and especially Harewood, though God bless him for that goal against Liverpool) lacked a certain... prestige. Given our relative stature/status at the time though, I'd even go as far as to say it was one of O'Neill's canniest moves.

ive got to be honest. im geeky enough to knock up a quick Excel Sheet about Prem Manager stats. I will try and update this after every game... (Memory permitting)

So as we know: Mcleish has the worse win Ratio of the lot....

Mcleish 13 4 31%

Houllier (Full Term - He did pick McAllister!) 39 14 36%

Houllier (not counting illness) 34 12 35%

O'Neill 190 80 42%

O'Leary 131 47 36%

Taylor 60 19 32%

Gregory 190 82 43%

Little 164 68 41%

Atkinson 178 77 43%

BUT points per game ratio all his boring Draws have helped him!

Mcleish 1.38

Houllier (Full Term - He did pick McAllister!) 1.36

Houllier (not counting illness) 1.32

O'Neill 1.58

O'Leary 1.34

Taylor 1.18

Gregory 1.57

Little 1.52

Atkinson 1.55

So there we have it.... he's going to draw us to death!

:lol:

Geeky Doc Here

The one thing we can all agree on from that second set of figures is surely that GT MkII was by far the WORST Villa manager of Premiership times. By the cringe - barely over 1 point per game.

Granted, the acquisition of Knight (and especially Harewood, though God bless him for that goal against Liverpool) lacked a certain... prestige. Given our relative stature/status at the time though, I'd even go as far as to say it was one of O'Neill's canniest moves.

The acquisition of Knight also had dire consequences as it pretty much sealed the departure of Gary Cahill.

The acquisition of Knight also had dire consequences as it pretty much sealed the departure of Gary Cahill.

I think that was a good thing all round. Cahill went off to a lesser club where he could secure the regular first team football he craved, he stopped being a troublesome, disruptive influence at Villa, and we got a decent price for him.

Cahill has now turned into a decent centre back but I doubt whether he would have been able to progress in that way if he had stayed at Villa.

Dont think was Knight signing that got rid of Cahill it was signing Davies as both were of similar enough ages and MON chose him ahead of Cahill which in hindsight was a poor decision

Cahill went off to a lesser club where he could secure the regular first team football he craved, he stopped being a troublesome, disruptive influence at Villa

disruptive influence? think he just wanted to play football

Dont think was Knight signing that got rid of Cahill it was signing Davies as both were of similar enough ages and MON chose him ahead of Cahill which in hindsight was a poor decision

Cahill went off to a lesser club where he could secure the regular first team football he craved, he stopped being a troublesome, disruptive influence at Villa

disruptive influence? think he just wanted to play football

Exactly. He wanted to play first team football week in, week out and that we couldn't guarantee him. We ran out of short term loan options for him and it got to the point where a parting of the ways was the only sensible course.

I honestly dont think it's fair to blame MoN for the Cahill thing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but then again how long ago did he leave us and it's only in the last season or 2 Cahill has really started to attract an interest.

At the time the manager wasn't prepared to pick him regularly, at the time our defence was solid and I dont recall seeing many people calling for his regular inclusion in the team either. That season the Davies we've grown to hate was being comapred favourably to Rio Ferdinand and all was good.

Now a few years down the line Cahill improved and Davies never fully recovered from an injury (possibly because he played through it for so long) it has become yet another weapon for the I hate MoN brigade.

It happens, I bet a fair few Barce fans were upset they let Fabregas leave theri youth academy to join Arsenal, it's just one of those things in football.

I really dont get the whole Cahill love in, scores some nice goals but as an actually defender, really? I just dont see it, ive only seen him play well once against us, he plays for a Bolton team shipping goals for fun and he has made less tackles per game than any, yes any, defender in the premier league.

Arsenal put a bid in though but it was rejected by Bolton over the summer.

He will leave in Jan in my opinion, or else they risk losing him on a free I think in the summer.. I think he'll go Arsenal.

And if theres one thing Arsene knows its how to spot a good defender

He will leave in Jan in my opinion, or else they risk losing him on a free I think in the summer.. I think he'll go Arsenal.

:D

Arsenal dont need him they have Veramelen, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Djourou adn Aquillaci. they are well covered there

Now a few years down the line Cahill improved and Davies never fully recovered from an injury (possibly because he played through it for so long) it has become yet another weapon for the I hate MoN brigade.

think its the price that people beat him with

Mertesacker isn't as bad as some people make out (yes he lacks pace) but he is in the germany squad and it isn't because they lack quality defenders or need to make up numbers, Vermaelen is quality and is easily better then what we have currently at this club imo.. he is very hit and miss when it comes to defenders but it's more how they defend as a unit that is just as bad as some of his purchases.

Â