The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

The main problem is AM inherited an average team which then lost it's two most effective players.

I don’t know how one defines average, but I think we were a better than average team with Downing and Young. Not a great team by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely better than average. We are now average in most respects

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle are better than us now..To think we were getting it together at the end of last season, playing nice football beating Liverpool and Arsenal. We now look a shadow of that same style and have declined into a side where as a fan you dont even have hope anymore..

Newcastle are better than us now..To think we were getting it together at the end of last season, playing nice football beating Liverpool and Arsenal. We now look a shadow of that same style and have declined into a side where as a fan you dont even have hope anymore..
Form-wise? Yeah, probably. Squad-wise I'm not so sure. Their midfield is better but that's about it.

Form-wise? Yeah, probably. Squad-wise I'm not so sure. Their midfield is better but that's about it.

If your a fan that goes by names, then Newcastle dont have a better squad than us..I mean we have a Internationals and Experience of Premiership ouzing from our squad on name basis..

But if you judge playing style, technique, quality football etc then Newcastle are streets ahead of us. We just dont cut it under McLeish and its very rare as fans we get to our team playing nice football that we can enjoy. Its a shame.

Yeah, I think our squad is better on paper but in terms of tactics, style of football they are miles ahead.

I agree Newcastle have a much better midfielder which is why their football is much brighter.

I think they have a much better manager in Alan Pardew too, I actually quite like him

To think we were getting it together at the end of last season, playing nice football beating Liverpool and Arsenal.

I wouldn't let those two results under Gary Mac, when it is my understanding that the players were already aware he was being **** off alongside the inept manager that appointed him so playing with a fair bit of freedom, mask what was a shite season littered with gutless displays. It should of course also be remembered that Ash and Downing our two best players were playing in those two games.

Bollocks. They will hit the wall eventually as the fixtures start to kick in. Lets see where we both are come the New Year, I reckon Newky Broon will have dropped a bit down the league.

We were getting it together at the end of last season because a massive weight had been lifted from the player's shoulders with the imminent managerial demise of the two clowns we had in charge.

As for your last sentence, get a grip of yourself man. I wonder whether you are actually a bluenose on a wind-up sometimes.

I wonder whether you are actually a bluenose on a wind-up sometimes.
:confused:

What's to be confused about? The posts are so hilariously negative they are almost a parody of themselves.

In all fairness you were pretty negative last season. I don't think it's right to accuse other members of being bluenoses just because you don't agree with them.

not signing a strong athletic defensive central midfielder in the summer instead of wasting the limited cash and wage capacity I had on Hutton and Jenas

Hey lets nto let reason get in the way of a good rant shall we?!

Whilst I'm no McLeish fan I feel thats being overly critical, for a start on paper Luke Young and Huttin look similar, in fact many were appluading the deal as a good bit of business with Hutton costing us less each week and being younger than Young.

As for the defensove midfielder comment I assume you can back that comment up with detailed accounts of all the negotiation we entered into with clubs and agents for players? Everyone can see what our midlfied is lacking, and if you and I can I'm certain professional manager can regardless of what we all think of him. But there is big difference between identifying a gap and being able to fill it, especially in light of the way we appeared to be conducting our business over the summer.

No problem with Hutton BUT if we only had limited cash/wage capacity I would have stuck with Cuellar, Lichaj and Herd.

As for the DCM, Newcastle managed to find a decent one for £3.5 million I think? We could have got NRC back for nothing potentially - you might not be a fan but he is better than anything else we have. We wouldn't have been pinching De Jong off Citeh or Mascherano of Barca but there must have been something out there that would have been better than nothing!

The main problem is AM inherited an average team which then lost it's two most effective players. We have now gone from being an average team to one which has fallen into the third tier of the Premiership. Couple that with a manager who is well known for his teams playing dour football and who is tactilly inept, then what you see now is what we have to put up with for the forseeable future unless a new owner comes in with a new manager.

In AM's defence though does anyone think that having Fergie, or 'the special one' in charge of our current squad would make the present situation any different?

Yes I do, do you know why? Charisma and personality, someone like Fergie/Mourinho lift the club with their very prescence, experience and personality.

McLeish.........well.............meh.

So yes, I strongly believe that even with this squad, staff and board both Fergie/Mouriho would make a massive difference.

Absolutely.

Saying Fergie or Mourinho couldn't do any better than mcleish just because our squad isn't that good is like saying Mike Tyson couldn't knock me out because his gloves are too small.

Of course the manager makes the difference..Who would have thought Aberdeen could win the European Cup?

If the manager didnt matter and its just about getting a great squad of players...Why bother appointing a manager in the 1st place?

Fergie at Villa? We would be in the top 4. What we see from Jones/Smalling we would now be seeing from Clark..What we see from Cleverly we would now be seeing from Bannan..Delph would be turned into a player like Fletcher.. I doubt players like Heskey, Petrov, Hutton and Collins would even be at the club. And like under Houllier, Bent would be scoring for fun under Fergie..You are talking managers that know how to move clubs forward..

As for the DCM, Newcastle managed to find a decent one for £3.5 million I think? We could have got NRC back for nothing potentially - you might not be a fan but he is better than anything else we have. We wouldn't have been pinching De Jong off Citeh or Mascherano of Barca but there must have been something out there that would have been better than nothing!

Yes but it appears Newcastle had the £3.5m to spend plus whatever the wages were for his services where as we apprantly did not, we had to let one of midfielder's go out on loan just to get another loan signing in!!

As for NRC I actually quite liked him in the side, couldn't pass for toffee but no worse than Delph has shown thus far and at least he could mix it up without the fear of a red card. However, reports were he wanted a significant pay rise in order to sign a new deal and the club didn't see fit to grant it. So I'd argue that we couldn't afford to resign NRC either.

What I'm objecting to is the blame being laid on AMc's doorstep, when I am sure there were probably a few names he would have liked to have signed if he could have.

But I guess it's much easier for those that like the simple answer to pin the blame on the man from sha that nobody really likes!!

Yes but Stan, McLeish had 4m plus whatever wages Hutton is on. Yet McLeish seen more sense for some reason, in buying a RB,yet we already had, Beye, Cuellar, Herd and Lichaj that can all do a good job(we got 6th with Cuellar as RB). Would Pardew have bought a RB or would he have replaced NRC in midfield instead? Especially after letting Hogg go, we dont have any cover in defensive midfield whatsoever.

If we are having to be careful with money...Buying Hutton was not careful.

SnC,

I dont know enough about the thought process to give a definitive answer but there could be any number of reasons why a RB was bought and defensive CM wasn't.

It could well be that AMc regarded the CM options at the club with the addition of N'Zog and Jenas to be sufficent, whereas he might have considered a PL quality RB to be more important.

You mention Cuellar doing a job but he's been injured and if it were not foe the injury he may well be north of the border right now. I certainly wouldn't trust Beye, Herd and Lichaj for a whole season.

It may be that we attempted to sign a DCM but couldn't find an available player that met the requirements of club, perhaps we did and he didn't want to move with 30 miles of the training ground??

It might be we could find a DCM for £4m but his wage demands were too high, and given that we couldn't afford a DCM he decided the next priority was a RB??

All I'm saying is it isn't fair to simply point the finger at the manager.

I see Cuellar more as a CD than a RB, although he did stand in there for some tome to good effect.

Hope he gets fit soon as he still has a future. Good at set pieces too, unlike Hutton, of whom I still am not convinced, despite being a regular for Scotland(shows more of the lacking in Scotland for good players really).

We could do better, like Bouhlarouz in Stuttgart, who`s contract expires end of season. Good player, just in the wrong team....

Who would have thought Aberdeen could win the European Cup?

I'd imagine McLeish did, seeing as he was there at the time.

:lol:

Also isn't it the Cup Winners Cup not the European Cup?

Â