330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you consider what has happened with transfers since Oneill left us, it's really not that difficult to figure out why he decided to quit AVFC.

how? id say the fact Eck hasnt had much to spend was because of MON reckless transfer policy. MON was only asked to tidy up the wage bill which seems reasonable when he helped spiral it out of control.

I personally think MON quit as he knew he wouldnt get 6th again and was protecting his reputation

how? id say the fact Eck hasnt had much to spend was because of MON reckless transfer policy. MON was only asked to tidy up the wage bill which seems reasonable when he helped spiral it out of control.

I personally think MON quit as he knew he wouldnt get 6th again and was protecting his reputation

:thumb:

When you consider what has happened with transfers since Oneill left us, it's really not that difficult to figure out why he decided to quit AVFC.

Can't really blame him either.

This, When Milner was aloud to leave the writing was on the wall. MON built a team that was based around Milner, Young and Downing. Watching England play the other day was sickening to me......

GH was a nice bloke but a joke, his fitness trainer was labled thrush by the players...........He would never attract players to any club, he caused problems at the Villa and with France.

Mcleish is here to do a job, as requested by the board, hes not here to please us........

I wouldnt call Oneills transfer policy wreckless personally. He made a few mistakes, but everyone does. At the end of the day, he assembled a squad who currently make up most of the england team.

Anyway, that's quite subjective.

Tidying up the wage bill would be fine, but selling our best players every year without fail, is a little different. We're not running at a level anywhere near the likes of Spurs and Liverpool, and it's quite clear that the focus has changed from Champions League qualification to one of financial stability.

I wouldnt call Oneills transfer policy wreckless personally

personally i think he wasted more than he got value for. For every Young, Downing or Milner their is a Davies, NRC, Heskey, Sidwell, Cuellar, Beye or Shorey

His transfer policy was definitely reckless though Shillz. Signing players on 30/40k a week just to put them on the bench? Not even good players either. Terrible players actually. Utter madness.

No wonder Lerner has put a stop to it and wants the wage bill sorting.

Oneills transfers had pros and cons, undeniably.

The great signings were absolutely great, and the poor signings were woefull. I'll concede that.

Still, Lerner should have kept tighter reigns on the financial side of things. It's not particularly good business governance to let someone run away with your club, paying very little attention to the goings on behind the scenes, then one day realise that it's gotten out of hand and turn the financial tap off.

Why can't he blamed? Regardless of whether or not he was justified in quitting he was definitely not justified in quitting in the manner that he did. It was completely unprofessional and it's no wonder that he's still out of a job with grossly unprofessional behaviour like that.

personally i think he wasted more than he got value for. For every Young, Downing or Milner their is a Davies, NRC, Heskey, Sidwell, Cuellar, Beye or Shorey

Davies, NRC, Cuellar all played their part and at times have been first team regulars. Dont let the last season of his tenure cloud your judgement.

I doubt he ever signed anyone on £30-40k a week with the intention of putting them on the bench, but sometome signings dont work out, that's football.

What we should be asking ourselves is why the likes of Shorey, Beye and Sidwell demanded such high wages to join us in the first place? Or do you think Martin looked at their £20k a week demands and decided to double them out of the goodness of his heart?

Oneills transfers had pros and cons, undeniably.

The great signings were absolutely great, and the poor signings were woefull. I'll concede that.

Still, Lerner should have kept tighter reigns on the financial side of things. It's not particularly good business governance to let someone run away with your club, paying very little attention to the goings on behind the scenes, then one day realise that it's gotten out of hand and turn the financial tap off.

I'm not sure he payed little attention, I just believe he trusted O'Neill to achieve what they set out to achieve and that was CL football, MON didn't seem like the type of manager where someone would say no to him and he'd sit back and allow it. I think O'Neill told Lerner to trust him and allow him to do it his way and he'd achieve it. Once Lerner realised it weren't going to happen, he pulled the plug on the idea of spending their way to success.

Well it could be he wanted to stop trying that 'route' and in order to go down a new route, wages needed to be sorted out or he just decided the goal wasn't achievable and he well sell up. it remains to be seen.

Why can't he blamed? Regardless of whether or not he was justified in quitting he was definitely not justified in quitting in the manner that he did. It was completely unprofessional and it's no wonder that he's still out of a job with grossly unprofessional behaviour like that.

He can't be blamed for wanting to leave at that stage IMO. We hardly had managers queuing up to take the job over the summer. Ofcourse leaving at that time was pathetic on the face of things, but personally, I'd want to hear Oneill's side of the story before criticising him too much.

He can't be blamed for wanting to leave at that stage IMO. We hardly had managers queuing up to take the job over the summer. Ofcourse leaving at that time was pathetic on the face of things, but personally, I'd want to hear Oneill's side of the story before criticising him too much.

Leaving suddenly 5 days before the start of a new season is really irresponsible. Fair enough if left a month or two before but to leave at that particular time is unjustifiable, regardless of how justified he was in leaving. The timing of his departure **** us over big time.

Still, Lerner should have kept tighter reigns on the financial side of things

If Lerner had not fully backed O'Neill then he would have walked ages ago. He would have also had the fans on his back for not backing him.

Now we have the majority saying that he should keep a tighter reign on things.

I think thats whats called stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I dont think Lerner just switched off and gave MoN a blank chequebook. Certainly not.

What we should be asking ourselves is why the likes of Shorey, Beye and Sidwell demanded such high wages to join us in the first place?

Come off it. You cant blame a player for wanting the best deal he can get. At the end of the day it was MoN who thought those terms were acceptable and sanctioned the deal. Im sure though if Lerner was aware that those players were gonna be sitting asround on their arses for 3 years then he would have pulled the plug immediately.

so he quit 5 days before the start of the season to protect his reputation :?

If it was anything to do with his transfer budget being slashed then he's a proper word removed. Not so many months before his departure, he gave an interview about how he'd get on with things if the money wasn't there. What a load of bollocks that turned out to be.

If he'd have got on with it and proved his ability with a more limited budget then he'd probably still be touted as Fergie's eventual successor. He didnt, so now it seems that no club wants to go near him.

I wouldnt call Oneills transfer policy wreckless personally. He made a few mistakes, but everyone does. At the end of the day, he assembled a squad who currently make up most of the england team.

Well thats all well and good if it can be afforded. We couldnt.

Spending money you dont have, well thats reckless. Still, not his money, not his club, why should he care? Then, when the game is up, and the money runs out, and all you've done with 'most of the England team' is finish sixth, you can run off, not your problem any more. If he was doing it to protect his reputation then that was a massive fail wasnt it? His reputation went down the toilet just about as fast as Randy's bank balance.

To give both credit, Randy and O'Neill had a proper good go at getting Champions League football. Fact is we missed out and you can't sustain that level of spending without actually getting in the Champions League, unless your owner is willing to keep donating 10s of millions out of his own pocket. Randy isn't, which is fair enough. What O'Neill should never have done is leave so close to the start of the season and leave us in the shit.

Â