Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

Definate red card, any one who says otherwise, doesn't have a clue what they are on about.

Clearly not.

There is no rule that says two footed challanges are not legal.

For this one his studs were nowhere near the player and he only won the ball.

If the FA want to make changes to the rules and disallow this kind of tackle then so be it but at this stage not every tackle like that is against the rules.

I think they were both pretty tame.

Johnson gets the ball and is nowhere near the city player, in fact it is Johnson who gets stamped on after he has gone passed.

I think Kompany's was not a red either.

Whether you win the ball or not it's irrelevant. It's a shocking tackle and very dangerous even if he doesn't connect with the player. There is absolutely no reason for him to dive in off the ground two footed. There simply isn't. It's flat out dangerous.

The relevant part of the rule states:

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the

front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force

and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Whilst it's open to interpretation it's clearly serious foul play and could easily be given red.

Definite Red, in this day and age.

The rules may be open to interpretation, but it's generally accepted that two footed and/or both feet leaving the ground is reckless, and therefore a red card.

Johnson's certainly meets that criteria. As does Kompany's, fwiw.

The mentality that it is only a foul if somebody gets a broken ankle is something which has to change in football. It's like saying you should only need to wear a seatbelt on the days where you actually crash your car.

Definate red card, any one who says otherwise, doesn't have a clue what they are on about.

Clearly not.

There is no rule that says two footed challanges are not legal.

For this one his studs were nowhere near the player and he only won the ball.

If the FA want to make changes to the rules and disallow this kind of tackle then so be it but at this stage not every tackle like that is against the rules.

Technically you are right. There is no explicit rule against 2-footed tackles. But we have seen a clear move towards referees giving red cards to players where he has left the ground, both feet with studs showing, not in control of his slide. With this recent interpretation, Johnson got off very lightly.

The mentality that it is only a foul if somebody gets a broken ankle is something which has to change in football. It's like saying you should only need to wear a seatbelt on the days where you actually crash your car.

Something I've been saying for a while.

Just because on these occasions no-one got hurt doesn't mean the challenges aren't reckless.

It should also work the other way, mind you.

Just because someone gets hurt from a challenge doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad one.

Exactly. I used firing a gun in public as the analogy. It's like saying it's only a crime if the bullet hits someone. Err, no. That tackle was a leg-breaker and was worse than what Milijas got his for.

Kompany's wasn't a red and Johnson's was imo. As has been mentioned the key part of the rules cite 'excessive force' and 'endangering safety'. To my viewing, Kompany's lunge was not out of his control or excessive. His legs were somewhat spread in an attempt to only utilise one leg in getting the ball, with the other reacting mainly to trap it. He changes speed and direction just before the lunge to get the timing right and travels in with less momentum than Johnson. It's somewhat dangerous, yes, but whether it was excessive or significantly more dangerous than any other full-blooded fair tackle is a question I'd answer with 'no'.

Johnson's challenge was more like a wrestling dropkick targeted at the ball. He gets there a split second ahead of Lescott and only because he's off the floor, at full speed, full stretch with both feet. The smallest error in judgement would smash Lescott's ankle. Red all day, errday.