Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Reminds me of what Delph went through.

Although both have had severe injuries at young ages, Delph showed far, far more than Gardner at a younger age. All Gardner has done is rip up a youth league and dine out on his "good prospect" tag for several years. In his handful of appearances for us he hasn't looked anything special, and that was before the injury.

Delph was tearing up League One + the Championship for 2 seasons before coming to Villa, playing week in week out. He was being linked with teams far better than us, hence why MON paid £6m for him!

If Gardner's rotten luck with injuries continues he'll have to retire. It took Delph around 18 months to come back fully from his injury, but he had more time on his side than Gardner. I just can't see any future for him here - he may be offered a new contract out of sympathy however.

• Like 4

I agree 100%, I could never see why people were praising him as our saviour. It's the same with this Carruthers kid, he's doing alright in the reserves and stuff but he's not pushing for a starting place yet people are calling him for him to play, hailing him as our salvation...much like we did with Wiemann, and look how that has turned out...a decent season followed by a damp squib...

I can honestly say i have no idea whether the hype is justified. I would love to see him make it but all the evidence says to me he will not. He has an outrageously bad injury record, he is 22 in June and made just a handful of experiences for the first team. 

I hope I am wrong but sadly he is probably another player we can add to the list of those who are just not good enough. If we do keep him he needs a season long loan with a Championship side to prove one way or another whether he has what it takes.

• 1 month later...

So any word on his contract situation? Would be livid if we released him.

Not saying it's the right or wrong decision. But how can you really be expecting to see anything else?

• Like 1

Why?? He spends 90% of his time injured and when he does play he is utter bollocks

Not saying it's the right or wrong decision. But how can you really be expecting to see anything else?

Because hes a very good (potentially) young player who is talented and has had a terrible run of luck? Guess we should have released delph a few years ago by that logic.

Why?? He spends 90% of his time injured and when he does play he is utter bollocks

When has he ever played enough to be considered "utter bollocks", please try and make a valid point because that one is utter bollocks!

• Like 1

Because hes a very good (potentially) young player who is talented and has had a terrible run of luck? Guess we should have released delph a few years ago by that logic.

When has he ever played enough to be considered "utter bollocks", please try and make a valid point because that one is utter bollocks!

He's a 6th or 7th choice central midfielder even when he's fit. If you really like him, you should want him to leave in my opinion, because he's never going to have a career with us.

Anyway, you need to wrap your head around the fact that he's gone. Next year he'll be old enough that we have to name him in the squad. That isn't going to happen, and frankly, nor should it. 

He's a 6th or 7th choice central midfielder even when he's fit. If you really like him, you should want him to leave in my opinion, because he's never going to have a career with us.

Anyway, you need to wrap your head around the fact that he's gone. Next year he'll be old enough that we have to name him in the squad. That isn't going to happen, and frankly, nor should it. 

I'm not saying thoriw him in the squad i'm saying sign him up and lets see if he can fill that potential, doesnt have to  be at villa next season aslong as hes a villa player. I'd hate another Cahill situation and i think IF and ok i agree they are big if's he stays injury free and gets some gametime somewhere i think he'll start to get there like Delph did when everyone was convinced he'd be injured his whole career.

He played 16 times for us one season and did not show anything at all.

A whole 16 times? Thats ridiculous to judge from if he had played the 90 in all but im guessing he probably had about 4 games worth of minutes on the pitch in those 16 games and he was playing in a mcleish team that didn't use a midfield other than to defend but if thats enough for you to have formed an opinion then fair enough.

• Like 1

Â