Photography?

trimandson

The technique I use for Grads is to do it in its own layer using the gradient tool vertically from the top of the skyline, usually to the horizon) and set the layer blend mode to multiply (I think its multiply, I kind of do it without thinking and PS isnt open right now)

I don't know why people get so uppity about Photoshop, in the right hands it's a great tool. The basic photo has to be good enough anyway, and in Bicks' case, the 'shopping has made a good photo really dramatic, the clouds in particular look great.

but doesn't it take it from a 'Photo' to a 'Picture'?

No, nothing I've done in that photo is new and different, its just a different way of doing things traditional film photographers always did. Grad Filters for example are an exact transport from film to digital as it dodging and burning (making parts of the photo lighter and darker), people seem to be of the belief none of this kind of thing went on before digital and those people would be very wrong. Nowhere does it say that a photo is an exact representation of what is in front of you it cant be a camera (film or digital) isn't capable of that. Is a photo a picture because its deliberately out of focus in places?

• 3 weeks later...

A shot of my youngest daughter taken by my wife (the photographer of the family)...

spa228411480x334.jpg

Worth pointing out it was taken on her camera phone. I'll post some of her SLR stuff when I get a chance.

Not feeling the black t-shirt with grey suit tbh.

Duly noted. I was trying to be a professional artist / smart but not too smart. I didn't want to go full on shirt n tie, but fancied making more effort than jeans etc. Stand out from the crowd as it were. A few ladies commented on it though ;)

Not feeling the black t-shirt with grey suit tbh.

Duly noted. I was trying to be a professional artist / smart but not too smart. I didn't want to go full on shirt n tie, but fancied making more effort than jeans etc. Stand out from the crowd as it were. A few ladies commented on it though ;)

Bro's before Ho's i'm afraid.

Is a photo a picture because its deliberately out of focus in places?

Perhaps. Is it an intentional distortion of the actual to represent what the taker wishes to portray?

Well yes, sort of, photographers have been "doctoring" their photo's since photography began. Photography is an art form and as such it is down to the artist to interpret and manipulate the medium how they see fit, after all the literal translation of the word is painting with light. Some people prefer their photography "unadulterated" some prefer it the other way, to varying degrees , its a matter of taste. But my point was that altering a photo doesnt turn it into a picture, it is still a photo, it was always a picture

Is a photo a picture because its deliberately out of focus in places?

Perhaps. Is it an intentional distortion of the actual to represent what the taker wishes to portray?

our own eyes focus selectively as well, it's just a lot more noticeable in many photos

A shot of my youngest daughter taken by my wife (the photographer of the family)...

spa228411480x334.jpg

Worth pointing out it was taken on her camera phone. I'll post some of her SLR stuff when I get a chance.

it's not a photo i would take , that's not aimed as anything against the photo ,as I kinda like it..... Just for whatever reason when I take photo's I like my subject to be face toward the camera .. it may be a lack of imagination on my behalf as much as anything ... I'm the same when i take pictures of monuments etc If i can't fit the whole thing in i tend not to bother , where as my mate will take some weird angle and have a small selection of the monument in it

Is that just me ? do i lack imagination :-(

If any of you guys are interested I am selling my Dslr as I have decided to upgrade. Its a canon EOS20D that I have had from new, about 5 years. I no longer have the box for it but it does include the original canon strap, battery, charger, instructions and a 512mb card. I have checked the shot count on the menu as it has never been reset and according to that it has done just under 9000 shutter actuation's. From what I can gather, modern dslr's are rated at between 70,000 and 100,000 actuation's. Don't know how true that is but thats what i found on the net. It is still in very good condition, obviously there are marks showing general wear, on the hotshoe and around some on the main controls.........like the steering wheel and gear stick when u buy a used car. Overall it is in very good condition. As to price, I had a look at the buy it now prices on ebay and they started at £220. If you are interested make me an offer. BTW I'm in Wolverhampton.

Here is what Canon have to say about the EOS20D:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_20d/index.asp?specs=1

Here is a link to my website, all the pics on there at the moment have been taken with this camera.

http://www.fraserpaintainphotography.moonfruit.com/

UTV

it's not a photo i would take , that's not aimed as anything against the photo ,as I kinda like it..... Just for whatever reason when I take photo's I like my subject to be face toward the camera .. it may be a lack of imagination on my behalf as much as anything ... I'm the same when i take pictures of monuments etc If i can't fit the whole thing in i tend not to bother , where as my mate will take some weird angle and have a small selection of the monument in it

Is that just me ? do i lack imagination :-(

I think that's one of the reasons I like it so much Tony. She (the wife) takes very good 'natural' photos, and has a very good eye for that style.

Damians photos appeal to me for the same reason.

Â