Photography?

trimandson

I'm thinking of a good idea for a photo book, though I'm not a photographer. ;)

It's quite a good idea for while I'm in Africa, and for traveling in general. But I need a good camera, (under $600) that is an SLR that I can take good wideview

photos with...Suggestions?

Seeing as this thread has popped up again i shall ask if anyone has/has used a fisheye lens?

Looking to get one but they are outrageously priced so i want to know if its worth it. As in, i'll know i'll use it but are they worth +£400

Sorry only just seen this, of limited use I reckon, I do have one but rarely use it, though because mines a Nikon and I can use NX Capture I can use the software to "unfisheye" the image so it can act as an ultra ultra wide angle lens so its slightly more useful than a normal fisheye

A normal fisheye has its uses but for the average amateur snapper I would say it has limited use, unless of course you are a real fan of the effect

Seeing as this thread has popped up again i shall ask if anyone has/has used a fisheye lens?

Looking to get one but they are outrageously priced so i want to know if its worth it. As in, i'll know i'll use it but are they worth +£400

Sorry only just seen this, of limited use I reckon, I do have one but rarely use it, though because mines a Nikon and I can use NX Capture I can use the software to "unfisheye" the image so it can act as an ultra ultra wide angle lens so its slightly more useful than a normal fisheye

A normal fisheye has its uses but for the average amateur snapper I would say it has limited use, unless of course you are a real fan of the effect

I find mine very fun, it's true that you have to be careful to not overuse the "effect" and for the amount of amateur use you might get out of it in the end, it might not pay off. For me it's a great little weapon in the tool bag.

You're even less patient than me :P I found one review. It seems fine for the money.

I looked around for reviews but couldnt find one.

Fine for the money or do you think theres better for the money?

It was the £100 off that amazed me but at the same time made me wonder....

I think you can't go wrong with it at that price. It's a muchness really once it gets down to a certain level. That's a decent brand for a compact, decent spec for a point n shoot, and a good price.

Some of you may know (from questions in the past) that I am interested in photography, although I don't really have a clue about it. Basically I am a noob and am looking to get into taking better photographs. Anyway, I received a new digital camera for Christmas and will hopefully buy an SLR in the near future, when I get a job.

Anyway, if any of you could give me any advice on good ways to take pictures then that would be great. Here are some pictures I took today on my new digital camera:

20573_746000612245_61401742_44965311_441523_n.jpg

20573_746001300865_61401742_44965329_3908284_n.jpg

20573_746001620225_61401742_44965375_1272537_n.jpg

20573_746000786895_61401742_44965314_7604843_n.jpg

Thanks Bicks, sadly, the kids weren't allowed on the slopes - no doubt someone fearing someone would slip into the icy water and there'd be all sorts of forms to fill in.

Brigga - couple of suggestions.

First one is potentially quite interesting, as a clash of colours, textures etc. But all the twigs in the background make it a bit confusing. Maybe find a standpoint where there is less background, to make the main subject stand out more?

Trees shot is something which can be quite dramatic. The angle you have has started to make them look quite overbearing and threatening. Going in a little closer to the base of a tree would make it more so - and black and white for that sort of shot can work well.

The duck is in the centre of the frame, which is where most people place it, and most photography teachers say not to, because it makes the shot quite static, like a mugshot. (I know one of mine above has the subject in the centre, my excuse is that it's because it looks like he's taking a photo). Placing the duck off-centre gives a different effect, worth experimenting with.

The plant with snow on is potentially really interesting, in terms of the contrast between the natural shape and texture of the plant, and how it finds itself at the moment, with an alien weight on it. Again, the background doesn't help it, and perhaps confuses the eye by giving lots of extra information which doesn't add to the quality of the image. Try finding a place to stand (or more probably, lie) where you can shoot it against a clear sky, and see if you think it looks better one way or the other. I think that against a clear sky, all the viewer's attention would be drawn to the outline of the plant and the snow. It would be stark, but it would say a lot about the season.

Â