Photography?

trimandson

I have a HOOOOOGE zoom lens

I find I get camera shake using a large zoom lens .. 300mm ..if you are going to use a big lens my advice is a tripod ..

I've since upgraded to a 450D which has an image stabilizer and I've also purchased a 200mm lens as it 's slightly smaller and less prone to shakes

just be careful that's all ....

Rule of thumb with longer lenses to avoid shake

Make sure the shutter speed is faster than the focal length you are using, so if its a 200mm lens make sure shutter speed is 1/200th sec or faster

When it has to be lower you need some form of support, beanbags can be more useful than tripods sometimes (absorb more shutter movement) and try and use an off camera shutter release if your camera allows it

Thanks everyone :)

I'm really looking forward to shooting at the wedding - no pressure because a photographer is there but hopefully I can get a couple of really special shots. Did my brothers wedding and the photo on their mantle piece is one of mine, not the photographers, makes you feel very good.

Thanks for the picture Damian, that makes it all a bit more clear, I will have a play around with this elusive f stop business then.

I'm quite lucky with the shake Bicks, I tend to manage to keep it steady, I've not had a blurred image using it yet, so fingers crossed. I would get a tripod if I start to suffer from that though, so good call.

And is THAT what the little spinner on the view finder is for Vipers? Cool. I am a glasses / lenses wearer so I might have a play around with that, thanks.

You are going to attempt reportage photography Laura (which is B23's speciality or one of them) doing it with a tripod would be impossible, you need to press the shutter release at the crucial moment not when everything is neatly in place.

Not taking a tripod! I just meant in future if I was going to use it for anything else & I had developed the shakes - doubt I will though, I have a pretty steady hand.

Should be a good day. And failing that - it's Indian cuisine as the bride is Indian - bring it on.

Thanks everyone :)

I'm really looking forward to shooting at the wedding - no pressure because a photographer is there but hopefully I can get a couple of really special shots. Did my brothers wedding and the photo on their mantle piece is one of mine, not the photographers, makes you feel very good.

Thanks for the picture Damian, that makes it all a bit more clear, I will have a play around with this elusive f stop business then.

I'm quite lucky with the shake Bicks, I tend to manage to keep it steady, I've not had a blurred image using it yet, so fingers crossed. I would get a tripod if I start to suffer from that though, so good call.

And is THAT what the little spinner on the view finder is for Vipers? Cool. I am a glasses / lenses wearer so I might have a play around with that, thanks.

If you've got a spare £100 go buy Canon's 50mm 1.8 lens! That thing was made for weddings! "80% of the time it works all the time!" 8)

I feel the followers of this august topic are about to suffer, I apologise in advance

I promise I'll do the photos in batches, Firstly some from France this year

picassoeyesbwo.jpg

Tribute to Picasso I

tributetopicasso.jpg

Tribute to Picasso II

uzesart.jpg

Uzes Art

I should say, the first picture above is probably my favourite photo of the year so far (that I have taken obviously), so much so, its now my wallpaper on the Mac

But so people dont get bored of France (because there are many more to come :mrgreen:), here's a few from the other day in Wales too

llynglaslyn.jpg

Llyn Glaslyn

(its not bad when you consider it was taken through glass on a moving (and rattling) narrow gauge railway)

waunfawr.jpg

Waunfawr

dieselandsteamdoublehea.jpg

Diesel and Steam

• 3 weeks later...

Wales knocks the socks off France imo :winkold:

Went to Bristol for the Banksy exhibition - took one look at the queue and thought not a chance! Ended up snapping squirrels in the park instead lol

3865072531_6c02e5087f_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

in order....

1) excellent candid shot

2) as is this but I have a question, I recognise it bt cant remember the name of the passage

3) the Tattoo I presume

4) Nice shot - well observed (and again I'm curious as to where it is)

5) Taken from the Camera Obscura?

6) You had a Picasso exhibition, bustards, I went to three in france this summer and not one of them was as good as that poster (though I did get my shot of the year at one (see up there somewhere)

Peter

in order....

1) excellent candid shot

2) as is this but I have a question, I recognise it bt cant remember the name of the passage

3) the Tattoo I presume

4) Nice shot - well observed (and again I'm curious as to where it is)

5) Taken from the Camera Obscura?

6) You had a Picasso exhibition, bustards, I went to three in france this summer and not one of them was as good as that poster (though I did get my shot of the year at one (see up there somewhere)

2) Neither can I! It's off the royal mile, just up from the Mound.

3) Yes, the stage is still there.

4) The art gallery on Princes St/The Mound, the terrace around it, taken from below in Princes St gardens.

5) No, as above, reflection of Scott Monumnet in a window of the art gallery lower level, from Princes St gdns.

6) We did indeed. If it's any comfort, last time I went to Amsterdam the Van Gogh museum hardly had anything as it was all out on tour, and in Madrid the Prado had almost no Goya on display as it was all locked away in vaults for accredited scholars' eyes only...

Â