Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Season.

6 better were (in order):

Forster, Fabianski, Lloris, Hart, Courtois, De Gea

Surprised that Pantillimon isn't in there.

Similarly, don't think Lloris has been that hot this season at all (very good keeper overall, of course).

Hope Guzan plays in the final. He made one mistake in over 100 games and gets dropped. Guzan will be better now he's had a rest a rest and isn't overplayed, and he'll have a point to prove "keep me master Tim, you do not have to buy a new goalie"

Also, best keepers in my opinion

1. Jed Steer

2. De Gea

3. Hart

4. Courtois

5. Forster

6. Ospina (controversial)

7. Begovic

If Sherwood starts Jed Steer then I will definitely start to question his judgment. Guzan has been a steady goalkeeper for us and deserves to be playing.

Played for Yeovil against Man Utd. If Given isn't fit, Sherwood doesn't have a decision to make!

If Sherwood starts Jed Steer then I will definitely start to question his judgment. Guzan has been a steady goalkeeper for us and deserves to be playing.

Played for Yeovil against Man Utd. If Given isn't fit, Sherwood doesn't have a decision to make!

What about Benjamin Sieg... oh wait :(

• Like 1

I've seen as much as I've seen of most goalkeepers in the premier league.

He's had a decent season by his standards, but he's still dropped a few clangers. And he still flaps at half the balls that come into the box. I've had quite enough of that with Given.

He's a decent shot stopper though, which seems to be all that matters to some people.

I can't say I've noticed that. He looks a lot more assertive and confident in his game. But just checking it up, he has a higher claim success and far better punch success than Guzan. Funny that. But then he is still being judged by his time at Arsenal, so nevermind. Look, I didn't rate him before either but credit where it's due.

I don't really look at stats for keepers. It's pretty hard to measure a keeper's ability through stats. But fair enough if the stats back it up.

From what I've seen he's still dropping clangers and he's still shakey in the air and on crosses. That's nothing to do with his time at Arsenal.

Offered a straight swap there's absolutely no way I would swap Guzan for Fabianski. 

Edited by Stevo985

I'd take Szczęsny if he's available in the summer, Think we could do what we did with James. My biggest issue with Guzan, his distribution at this level is diabolical. He hasn't improved on it either, In today's game you really need to be good with your feet and he simply isn't.

If we're buying a goalkeeper we either need to buy a young and upcoming goalkeeper who will be happy to be second choice for a while and will develop to become better than Guzan.

Or we need a significant improvement on Guzan.

Otherwise it's just money down the drain.

Szczesny is neither of those things.

If we're buying a goalkeeper we either need to buy a young and upcoming goalkeeper who will be happy to be second choice for a while and will develop to become better than Guzan.

Where do you rank Guzan for the keepers in the PL? Interesting how you completely ignored the point about his kicking and generally his footwork.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Where do you rank Guzan for the keepers in the PL? Interesting how you completely ignored the point about his kicking and generally his footwork.

This season I can't think of a single game where I thought Guzan saved us today and earn't us the points with some cracking games, he's an average keeper. Though I hope he is saving his match winning performance this weekend.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

I didn't ignore it. I wasn't aware we have to address every single point everyone makes.

But seeing as you asked so nicely, yes Guzan's kicking lets him down. it's probably the thing that keeps him playing for a team like Aston Villa and not a bigger club. Generally his footwork is fine in terms of positioning, but yes his distribution isn't great (although far form diabolical, which is very much OTT)

Where would I rank him? Most certainly in the top 10. I don't think Szczesny is any better. If he is (opinions and all that) I don't thin kit's a significant improvement, which was my point.

Why go out and spend the 6 or 7 million it would take to sign Szczesny for a negligible improvement in goalkeeper, when the one we have doesn't want to leave? It's pointless.

• Like 2

I didn't ignore it. I wasn't aware we have to address every single point everyone makes.

But seeing as you asked so nicely, yes Guzan's kicking lets him down. it's probably the thing that keeps him playing for a team like Aston Villa and not a bigger club. Generally his footwork is fine in terms of positioning, but yes his distribution isn't great (although far form diabolical, which is very much OTT)

Where would I rank him? Most certainly in the top 10. I don't think Szczesny is any better. If he is (opinions and all that) I don't thin kit's a significant improvement, which was my point.

Why go out and spend the 6 or 7 million it would take to sign Szczesny for a negligible improvement in goalkeeper, when the one we have doesn't want to leave? It's pointless.

No way is he in the top 10 Stevo.

Cech

Courtois

De Gea

Lloris

Begovic

Forster

Hart

Mignolet

Howard

Fabianski

Even if you look at Green, Schmeichel and Heaton all from teams struggling have been praised with match-winning performances. If we put Guzan on the market, He'd be a target for a Championship club IMO.

Cech

Courtois

De Gea

Lloris

Begovic

Forster

Hart

Mignolet

Howard

Fabianski

Even if you look at Green, Schmeichel and Heaton all from teams struggling have been praised with match-winning performances. If we put Guzan on the market, He'd be a target for a Championship club IMO.

He's better than Mignolet, Howard and Fabianski.

but it's a pointless debate because people will have differing opinions. We could argue until the cows come homw about whether he's 9th or 12th or 8th or 11th etc

My main point remains. Spending money on Szczesny would be the very definition of a waste.

Edited by Stevo985

Cech

Courtois

De Gea

Lloris

Begovic

Forster

Hart

Mignolet

Howard

Fabianski

He is better than Mignolet, Howard and Fabianski from that list and I wouldn't swap him for Begovic either. The last part is bonkers.

Edited by sexbelowsound

If we put Guzan on the market, He'd be a target for a Championship club IMO.

This, by the way, is complete and utter nonsense.

It's utter nonsense you thinking he's in the top 10. Better than Howard, though he can't bypass him for the US. Name me a game this past season where Guzan has made a mark and you think god if we didn't have Guzan we'd have lost that. I think an easier way to check is the VT ratings in the match threads.

It's utter nonsense you thinking he's in the top 10. Better than Howard, though he can't bypass him for the US. Name me a game this past season where Guzan has made a mark and you think god if we didn't have Guzan we'd have lost that. I think an easier way to check is the VT ratings in the match threads.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Yes but we will find out soon enough who wants Brad when Sherwood puts him up for sale in the summer.

He isn't top-ten because he doesn't get into the XI of any current top-ten side. Well maybe Palace, in that Speroni is mediocre too but then they overachieved to make it there.

Mignolet is better than Guzan - he just isn't good enough for a side aiming to be top-four regulars. Any non-bias observer knows that Fabianski has had an impressive season. Begovic has dipped for a considerable period but then he has been dropped now and will almost certainly be sold in the summer. Then you have keepers outside the top-half like Adrian, Pantilimon and Heaton that perform to a better standard too. I don't agree about Howard, he was complete dross for most of the season.

So in context, Guzan is just bang average at best and that's not good enough if we want to progress. It's true that there are bigger priority areas but ideally a new goalkeeper is signed and it seems likely that is exactly what Sherwood intends to do.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

Â