Gym Routine

olboydave

I've not been able to afford any supplements for a long period of time, and I shan't be buying any in the near future. I have to say that I notice very little difference either way. Granted i'm no bodybuilder, but I can hold my own in the gym and make a habit of going 5 times every week.

Personally, and this is just a personal opinion, I find that eating a bowl of porridge with a black coffee prior to workout is enough to see me through my routine. Beyond that, plenty of eggs, meat and fish appear to supplement my diet with all the protein I need.

Granted, I could have gone harder and possibly seen better results through use of supplements, but i've never been in better shape than I am now and that comes off the back of 6 months without any supplements.

(I posted this just to add balance to the conversation, not to criticise or cast doubt on those who do take supplements).

Edited by Shillzz

That's what I mean though, protein shakes have to be used as part of your goal.

If you're getting enough protein for whatever it is you're aiming for from food, then having a protein shake isn't going to make a difference.

But if, like me, you're aiming for 200-250g of protein a day, that's a lot of food. So supplementing diet with protein shakes is a much cheaper and easier way of achieving that.

Like I said, the pre workout might be as much of a placebo effect on me as anything else. But I'm ok with that. Some say it's £20 every 3 months down the drain. If it keeps my strength up, even psychologically, it's worth it for me.

So yeah, for a lot of people, supplements aren't necessary. It all depends what you're aiming for. They should always be used with a clear intention. Don't just take something for the hell of it.

• Like 1

Yeah supplements are extrinsic. They're for optimisation rather than the basis of your diet. I agree with Steve (Mr. Benson) about protein though, I'll be damned if you can consume enough protein through food sources.

PS - Coffee is a supplement IMO.

Edited by ArteSuave

Fair and good points both.

I doubt that I am consuming 'enough' protein, but my strength continues to increase very (very) gradually. The bottom line is that i've not been able to afford it lately, and i've been pleasantly surprised with my results in it's absence. That said, if I had the money available I would probably have a big bag of Hurricane xs tucked away in the cupboard.

I've been told that your body can't actually process more than about 50g of protein a day anyway and that any excess just comes back out.

I probably get close to that with my normal diet. Humans have never needed supplements in the past.

I've been told that your body can't actually process more than about 50g of protein a day anyway and that any excess just comes back out.

I probably get close to that with my normal diet. Humans have never needed supplements in the past.

Nah, there's an argument that says you can't process more than that in a single sitting but even that's disputed.

You can certainly process more than 50g per day. Much more.

Bro science.

It's nonsense.

I don't go to the gym. Self congratulatory wank.

Is the second sentence a critique or a suggestion for an alternative?

:D

See, just like the wrestling and rugby threads - I don't understand why people bother coming into a thread about a common interest other people share, just to slate it. With a pretty cutting remark at that.

Seems to be a pretty common attitude towards training for people who can't be arsed to take of themselves. I get it a lot - people saying stuff like I must be on steroids, or that's it's pathetic that I watch what I eat and always make time for training.

Regardless of getting stronger, increasing bone density, reducing risk of cancer etc. etc., we must just be a bunch of rocket polishers eh? :)

Hmm seems I've misheard and misread stuff.

I've always gone by 50g as it's the max you can consume in a day and that fitted in with magazine recommendations of 0.5-0.8g / KG body weight. Apparently 1.2-1.5g / kg is the recommended for training athletes. So for me @78kg I need about 100g a day.

Hmm seems I've misheard and misread stuff.

I've always gone by 50g as it's the max you can consume in a day and that fitted in with magazine recommendations of 0.5-0.8g / KG body weight. Apparently 1.2-1.5g / kg is the recommended for training athletes. So for me @78kg I need about 100g a day.

That sounds more reasonable.

If you wanted to build muscle (I know you don't) then I'd be saying aim for 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight.

This 50g per day stuff is definitely not true. Jay Cutler didn't get to how he looks now through eating 50g of protein a day.

See, just like the wrestling and rugby threads - I don't understand why people bother coming into a thread about a common interest other people share, just to slate it. With a pretty cutting remark at that.

Seems to be a pretty common attitude towards training for people who can't be arsed to take of themselves. I get it a lot - people saying stuff like I must be on steroids, or that's it's pathetic that I watch what I eat and always make time for training.

Regardless of getting stronger, increasing bone density, reducing risk of cancer etc. etc., we must just be a bunch of rocket polishers eh? :)

Laura was making a point ;)

Bro science.

It's nonsense.

This.

50g of protein is only 200 calories. Alan Aragon is awesome for debunking the bro myths.

Sorry, that's gone right over my head! Typical gym monkey :).

• Like 1

What point?

This thread is one of the most sensible on here!

I'm with JB. Unless that was sarcasm Ben, in which case it needs to be added as a parenthesis in case we didn't get it, idiots that we are ;)

She was making the point that whatever thread you go in, it's full of miserable bastards moaning about whatever the title is. She posted in like 20 threads saying something you'd usually expect from CED (hence the "Self congratulatory wank")

Â