Gym Routine

olboydave

Haha and I'm the word removed that fell for it! Obviously need to read a few more threads!

I thought I was the word removed who fell for it.

The self congratulatory wank is a solid post workout option rather than an alternative as I naïvely suggested.

You are right in a way, just a bit can only off with your figures. You can only absorb a limited amount of protein per meal so you were half right.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that's a myth as well. There's an inherent flaw in the logic when you think about it... Pointed out early on in this article:

Thanks again, Alan :)

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

Haha and I'm the word removed that fell for it! Obviously need to read a few more threads!

I thought I was the word removed who fell for it.

The self congratulatory wank is a solid post workout option rather than an alternative as I naïvely suggested.

Let's just say we're both words removed :).

I'm off for an upper body sesh now to rev myself up for my now customary post-workout power wank!

You are right in a way, just a bit can only off with your figures.  You can only absorb a limited amount of protein per meal so you were half right.

Also not true, as far as I know

Edit: JB beat me to it

Edited by Stevo985

She was making the point that whatever thread you go in, it's full of miserable bastards moaning about whatever the title is. She posted in like 20 threads saying something you'd usually expect from CED (hence the "Self congratulatory wank")

Yeah I saw it.

It was wrong and out of order. If it was most anyone else making that post they'd have gotten what for, VT style.

Aaaaaaanyway...

• Like 2

You are right in a way, just a bit can only off with your figures. You can only absorb a limited amount of protein per meal so you were half right.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that's a myth as well. There's an inherent flaw in the logic when you think about it... Pointed out early on in this article:

Thanks again, Alan :)

Interesting theory, but barely conclusive.

I dunno, it seems fairly conclusive to me. I'd hazard a guess that he's only referenced a tiny, tiny fraction of the research in support of his argument (although I won't claim to have read it all myself).

Besides that, the inherent flaw that I mentioned would surely debunk any theories to the contrary i.e. if we can only process 20-50g (nobody can seem to put a concrete figure on it eh?) of protein per meal, then we would struggle to take onboard much more than 50-100g per day given that it takes so long to completely digest the protein ingested in previous meals and there would always be an 'overlap'. It would also render years and years of protein intake research, as well as the highly successful diets of countless athletes and bodybuilders, completely null and void.

Not sure how clearly I've managed to explain it (it's past my bedtime!) but hopefully you get the idea :).

There's plenty of articles debunking the 20g/30g/40g/50g protein limit (the mere fact there's so many differing versions of the myth should ring alarm bells)

Essentially, meal timing is pretty much irrelevant. The biggest myth going is the one that says you have to eat 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism going..

Its not true. Meal timings don't matter a whole deal.

I still have absolutely no idea who it was aimed at. Or if it was one of those amazing passive aggressive general aimed at no one moans that are so endearing.

it was aimed at VT in general. Not anyone in particular, certainly not in this thread.

She's right though, we are a bunch of miserable **** on this site.

Yep. And that's exactly the point of the article (and what I said pages back in this thread ;) ).

Some days I split my meals up into 6-8 separate portions, whereas on others I'll consume the same macronutrient ratios in 2-3 meals and I've noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Can't beat a bit of broscience though, eh? :) Not that I haven't been taken in by it plenty of times myself over the years mind...

I eat 3 big meals a day and 2 smaller meals in between them.

But I only do that because I find it stops me getting hungry and snacking on other things in between, especially at work.

Hit your macros, that's the thing that matters.

Incidentally, 175kg x 1 on deadlifts last night. That's down on last week. Maybe I jumped the gun in saying I hadn't lost any strength yet this year!!

Yesterdays set of Squats, dead lifts,  calf raise and leg press followed by a 5km run on the tred mill and an hour half playing football mean I have become an 80 year old man. Unable to control my own limbs. They just dont want to.

Incidentally, 175kg x 1 on deadlifts last night. That's down on last week. Maybe I jumped the gun in saying I hadn't lost any strength yet this year!!

Fair play mate, that's still really strong.

Something that I found helped when I got to a sticking point with my lifts was to take "2 steps back, 3 steps forward" - essentially, dropping the weight back a couple steps for 1-3 weeks before increasing it weekly again. I know it seems counterintuitive but dropping the weight gave me loads of momentum and helped me recharge a little bit. I was blasting past sticking points in no time. With deadlifts, I switched to snatch grip (lol) for a few weeks and that seemed to do the trick once I switched back. Also, I found deload weeks essential.

Yeah I'm gonna try that. Go back to 170 next week and go from there.

Thought about doing it last night straight away, but that 1 rep I did manage was one of those where I probably shouldn't have finished the rep, because it felt so heavy that my form was poor. So didn't want to risk my back on another set.

I also think there's a slight difference in barbell weights at my gym.

Don't notice it on a lot of stuff, but for deads where I'm literally right at my max, that extra couple of kilos can make a difference. It wasn't that I felt weaker this week, the weight just felt heavier. If that makes sense.

Definitely mate. Have experienced similar myself. I'm quite OCD about which barbell I use for deads.

Keep an eye on the plates you use, too. I'm quite lucky in my gym as we have massive amounts of matching sets but some places have the odd American plate knocking about which are 45lbs as opposed to our standard 20kg/44lb. Doesn't sound like much but like you say, the smallest things make a difference when you're around your max.

Also, I came across this tip for unloading the bar after heavy dead lifts, which is awesome. Apparently it's common knowledge but I've never seen/paid attention to anyone doing it before so thought it might come in handy for anyone else who hasn't seen it :).

• Like 1

Fair play mate, that's still really strong.

Something that I found helped when I got to a sticking point with my lifts was to take "2 steps back, 3 steps forward" - essentially, dropping the weight back a couple steps for 1-3 weeks before increasing it weekly again. I know it seems counterintuitive but dropping the weight gave me loads of momentum and helped me recharge a little bit. I was blasting past sticking points in no time. With deadlifts, I switched to snatch grip (lol) for a few weeks and that seemed to do the trick once I switched back. Also, I found deload weeks essential.

That's wonderful advice.

I also find that switching to a lower weight and doing a couple of pass throughs at higher reps to give the muscle a bit of extra volume can help.

That and a week off.

Â