Gym Routine

olboydave

2 days after is the worst day. I did legs on Sunday. Monday I was fine, yesterday I was all over the place.

Always worse when I do RDLs too (I don't always do it). Sore hamstrings are horrible

What is the alternative to using numbers? Do you just lift the heaviest thing you can find above your head and squat until the sun sets?

Edit - If that is the case then you probably can outsquat me.

Edited by ArteSuave

I actually think CrossFit fulfills quite a clever niche in what is a very bloated and mature market.

It offers people the chance for group personal training sessions in Olympic lifting and other techniques. So they get regularly pushed and technique guidance for less money than it would cost to have that individually.

It has the added benefit of being a massive cult which people get really into.

The beauty of it is that people end up spending way way more than they ever would on a personal trainer because they do it more regularly and keep going.

I should add that I am not a crossfitter but know several people who hated going to the gym and lifting but love Crossfit.

So I do have a respect for the business model

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Crossfit is fitness franchised for maximum profit. Because they're franchises the quality varies but the quality control is nearly nonexistent, which is why there's the infamous videos where the xfitters seem to have a death wish.

The "my warmup is harder than your workout" schtick, posting of workouts on Facebook, "fran" times resulting in competitive exercising and massive plates that look heavy but weigh very little make for a narcissists dream, but that's not the only people who are attracted to it. That's just the ones who tell you about it incessantly.

BroScience called it perfectly, they're fitness gypsies.

Edited by ArteSuave

The one thing I like about crossfit is that it has introduced many people to barbell training and raised awareness of the importance of mobility.

Apart from that, I can't stand it. It doesn't help that it's generally undertaken by knob heads. You can spot the former crossfitters in my gym a mile off - absolute douche bags.

I've run a lot recently so I had tonight as a gym toner. This was tonight's routine:

run 1k to the gym

treadmill - 2 mins @ 7mph, 4 mins @ 9mph, 4 mins @ 11mph

35kg chest press machine - 3 * 12 reps

35kg leg curl machine - 3 * 12 reps

35kg leg extension machine - 3 * 12 reps

2 * 14kg dumbells bench free press - 3 * 12 reps

2 * 14kg dumbells reverse curl in lunge (dunno what it's called) - 3 * 12 reps

run 1k home

I know it's not the heaviest ever but it's to get a bit more core and upper body to support my running training.

I'd like to do more free weights as I always feel I get more from that than the machines but I never know what I'm doing. How I wish Stevo, BOF or DDID were around here to give me some tips :)

12 rep sets are for girls. 8-10 for growth or 4-6 for power. IMO of course.

Forget the leg extension, knackers your knees. Squats and leg press for legs. Lunges are great, but I struggle with balance when dealing with any kind of meaningful weight.

Dumbells are excellent for core strength. You use stabilising muscles that you wouldn't when using a bar.

Bent over rows and wide arm pull ups will give you wings.

Split your routine up so you're doing legs one day and upper body on another. Gives your muscle groups time to recover. That's at a basic level of course. I have separate days for chest, legs, arms, back and shoulders, depends how much time you've got. Abs and some general core as and when I fancy really. Random cycling gives me my cardio.

Listen to your body. Search the Internet.

• Like 1

Whilst DDID's advice is solid (apart from leg extensions, I love them) I'd advise finding a proper routine on a respected site.

Don't shy away from "beginner" routines because you've worked out before. They're there to maximise newbie gains, not to patronise.

Trying to tailor your own routine is unnecessary. Find a good, proven one and stick to it.

Check out muscleandstrength.com for some routines and info

• Like 2

Top guys. Thanks.

I _may not_ have finished the entire 12 reps on every exercise. 35kg on most things is about my limit so it's not easy.

I just want to get really fast at running, which calls for lots of core strength, a bit of upper body and lots of fast twitch in the legs. Like this:

1505L.jpg

I'm not that far off that now, just a bit more fat to go and the abs to tweak :)

Â