Gym Routine

olboydave

I've finally FINALLY(!!!) put the deadlift back into my routine (yay). It's now the compound lift for my day 2 routine which, co-incidentally, is today :D Starting it off slowly just to get the technique right. I watched Rippetoe again and it's scary how many of the little things I'd forgotten from previously. The things that would be the difference between tweaking your back and not tweaking it. I also had someone come over and point out the error of my ways with the lat pulldown (I 'taught' myself and had it all wrong. It's actually easier now than I was doing it). So day 2 is coming together now.

Ooh, do elaborate.

I've been trying to perfect this for some time, having received contradicting views from different members of staff.

Infront of the kneck, don't lean back and bring the bar to your chest seems to be the best way. That said, i've pretty much sacked them off in favour of wide-arm pull ups.

Did you do it behind the neck?

No I was sitting relatively upright and concentrating on pulling the bar down parallel with the front of my torso, which made it predominantly a shoulder and then a tricep exercise. He made me lean back, chest out and bring the bar to my chest (basically where a bench press would normally end up). That instantly made it an exercise right across the top of my back and sides. And made it easier, because that's a pretty strong area to start with. It's odd because despite now doing it right, it actually feels like cheating compared to the way I was doing it.

Yeah sounds right.

A lot of people think you have to do it behind the neck. Which is a valid exercise but it's hard to get the form right.

Just don't lean back too far or you turn it into an elaborate row

ugpulldownleanback-300x224.jpg

Did you do it behind the neck?

No I was sitting relatively upright and concentrating on pulling the bar down parallel with the front of my torso, which made it predominantly a shoulder and then a tricep exercise. He made me lean back, chest out and bring the bar to my chest (basically where a bench press would normally end up). That instantly made it an exercise right across the top of my back and sides. And made it easier, because that's a pretty strong area to start with. It's odd because despite now doing it right, it actually feels like cheating compared to the way I was doing it.

This is the way I used to do it, but got told that leaning back would focus strength across the top and middle of your back rather than your lats. God knows.

Like above, you have to lean back a bit, but imo it should be, like, 10 degrees.

If you're too upright you'll end up being all arms.

Edit: I also find putting your thumb over the bar helps. Like this

south75dbig.jpg

I find I grip the bar a lot looser which means I use my biceps less and focus the effort into the lats.

Also, try holding it at the bottom (i.e bar at your chest) for a second. You should feel it in your lats then.

Edited by Stevo985

This is the way I used to do it, but got told that leaning back would focus strength across the top and middle of your back rather than your lats. God knows.

I suppose it all depends on the angle you lean back, as Stevo says above. I think it will all do your lats to some degree. I can feel it where I want to feel it now, so I know I'm doing it right for me.

ugpulldownleanback-300x224.jpg

Hehe, no, not even nearly that far.

EDIT : Re- grip. The lat pulldown was the specific exercise that I originally bought gloves for. But I'll try the thumb thing to focus the lift on different areas.

:thumb:

I've found the key to a good pulldown is to make 100% sure you don't hunch your back in an attempt to drag the bar down. If you can push your chest towards the bar and pinch your shoulders at the back, then that seems to do the trick.

Getting ready to go back hardcore on my workouts, got a schedule that means I can get after it, and gonna try and get my diet right, aiming for 220lbs by April 1st, currently 236lbs. I'm not fussed by numbers per say, but I def want to drop some fat from the old derby.

Gonna have to drop the deadlift again I think :-( Only got 4 lifts in and felt something I didn't like. Got out before doing damage. Every other lift was great though. Very very frustrating.

bad news bro .......will you have to give up the squat as well

Might you be better off with a belt?

Squats are long gone. Belts pinch my back. Bench is the only original compound that I do. I could probably do the overhead but I don't see the point in what to me was probably the 'worst' of the original 5 lifts.

Gentleman..and Ladies,

A little advice required,if you could spare a reply.

At present I'm on a running fix,actually going quicker and further than when I joined the Royal Navy, 27 years ago.

However,possibly due to this,possibly a lack of effort/care on my behalf,I've lost an awful lot of upper body definition and strength,to the point where my 12 year olds commented.

Obviously I'd like the easiest and least time consuming method of regaining arm/upper body strength off some of you gym goffers,preferably with being able to carry on my running 5/6 times a week.I'm 43 btw.

Thanks in advance.utv

Edited by avshipscat

How did you get the upper body definition in the first place? Is it a background in lifting? I assume you lifted weights in some capacity in the Navy? My advice for 'quick' strength and (re-)definition; again assuming you know how to eat properly given your background in the services; is to do the compounds. They're less time-consuming given that you're obviously spending a lot of time running. Bench press, deadlift, military press, barbell rows, lat pulldowns, chin-ups. I'd probably avoid squats simply because you're probably putting enough work through those knees already and they don't need any more stress.

The brutal answer is you're going to struggle to maintain muscle mass if you're running often and for long distances.

Cardio, especially endurance cardio, diminishes muscular gains.

But if you're determined, I'd advise looking at a routine that incorporates compound lifts (google Starting Strength or stronglifts). You're usually looking at 3 sessions a wekk and you shouldn't be in the gym for more than 90 minutes at the absolute max (personally I'd say you should be done in under an hour)

Importantly, eat a diet that includes a lot of protein as well as a calorie surplus, quite possibly a LARGE surplus if you're doing so much running.

This and this are good articles to give you some info about diet.

Â