Gym Routine

olboydave

Succeeded at 5x5x75kg bench this evening but **** me that 25th lift was hairy. Anyhoo onwards and upwards. I'll be happy enough to get back into the mid 80s as that's kind of where I was back when I stopped in August. Would be nice to hit the magic triple figure for a 1RM though.

• Like 1

Has anyone done any martial arts before?

I've recently started at a class, which so far has involved punching hand held pads.

I've previously had a steel pin in my twist following a break.

After doing the punching my wrist is starting to hurt, is this just because my muscles aren't used to like that or do people think it is related to the previous injury? Both wrists do hurt but the one with injury more so.

Been weird lifting In kilos whilst I've been home. But glad I'm keeping it up. Slowed down in the heavy weight after tearing my pec. But next Monday gonna do an nfl combine max of 225lbs x? To see where I am.

I've always found it weird that they test strength through max reps with a relatively low weight (for athletes anyway)!

It's probably more relative to monitor strength over a period of time than in one go. Especially for an NFL player.

Surely by definition that's actually testing endurance and stamina.  Strictly speaking, strength is what you can lift in one rep, not how many times you can lift it.

Surely by definition that's actually testing endurance and stamina.  Strictly speaking, strength is what you can lift in one rep, not how many times you can lift it.

Yeah, i'm sure your right. I just think unless you are a power-lifter knowing how much you can lift in one rep or in one go probably isn't a practical test for strength in terms of it being able to transition into the actual sport being played.

I disagree. Surely the purpose should be to test maximal strength and power in relation to body weight? Pressing for reps simply doesn't do that. NFL is an explosive sport. Doing sets of 20+ has zero carry over.

I agree about 1rm being greater test of strength. I was benching 365lbs and was on my fourth rep when my pec blew. I was out for 3 months :( so I'm not gonna be able to do one rep max. I usually finish in bench day with 285x2. Last time I did 225lbs I think I hit 21 so looking to beat that.

Any of you train on your lunch break from work? I was gyming straight from work before but a lot has changed with work/uni/home life so considering using my Flexi to the best possible extent and taking a good lunchtime session in. Biggest concern is whenever I've trained in the mornings before I've literally eaten all day long after, I seem less inclined on an evening workout

I wouldn't get enough done during my lunch break but it might mean I don't go in the evening, so no I've never gone during lunch.

Love Friday night training! Place pretty much to myself apart from a couple of other fellow losers haha.

Surprisingly enjoyable leg session...

1 Front squat 115kg x 5,5,5,5

2A Slow eccentric glute-ham raise x 8,8,8,8

2B DB straight leg deadlifts 60kg DBs x 12,12,12,12

3 Hack squat 160kg x 10,10,10

+drops 120,100,80kg x 10,8,10

4A Lying legs curls 80/45kg superset x 7/11,6/11,7/10

4B 1.5 rep extensions 65kg x 15,15,15

5A Barbell hip thrust (5 second holds) 60kg x 15,15,15

5B RKC plank

Front squat has stalled for a few weeks since starting them again post-injury but finally made some progress tonight!

I've recently started at a class, which so far has involved punching hand held pads.

After doing the punching my wrist is starting to hurt, is this just because my muscles aren't used to like that or do people think it is related to the previous injury? Both wrists do hurt but the one with injury more so.

I did for a few years and although it was primarily kicking based, soreness with repeated striking especially when starting out is completely normal. Obviously the first thing to check is that your technique is proper or this could be your issue otherwise It'll be because the muscle isn't used to it and I'm guessing the previously injured wrist was hurting more as that muscle is weaker. If it doesn't improve or the discomfort is too great maybe consider getting some hand wraps.

• Like 1

Same reason I love training on a Saturday morning at my gym. No **** in there!

My old gym was rammed on a Saturday. My current one is empty. It's great

The gym on a saturday round here is full of skinny clearings in the woods in vests who train in groups of 3, gets me in a rage

I did for a few years and although it was primarily kicking based, soreness with repeated striking especially when starting out is completely normal. Obviously the first thing to check is that your technique is proper or this could be your issue otherwise It'll be because the muscle isn't used to it and I'm guessing the previously injured wrist was hurting more as that muscle is weaker. If it doesn't improve or the discomfort is too great maybe consider getting some hand wraps.

Cheers bud, yeah I thought it was because not used to it. The old injury does hurt a bit more. Too be fair the club have been very accommodating and are showing me how to elbow instead of punch at times which is really helpful.

The gym on a saturday round here is full of skinny clearings in the woods in vests who train in groups of 3, gets me in a rage

This is why many people hate going to the gym. The fact youre judging people for wearing an item of clothing and linking it to their body type. Especially when vests are perfectly fine gym clothing (well i would think it would be). well done. Maybe its more comfortable for them?

So anyway, tomorrow im going to join a gym. I have really skinny limbs/chest but starting to get quite a bit of fat on stomach/face. What should my calorie intake be? Should it be the standard 2k-2.5k cal for getting bigger or should i aim for around my daily burn # to get rid of the fat on face/stomach??

Also, how bad are machine weights compared to free? I heard some people say free weights work more muscles but machine helps with the "fundamental muscles"? Do both or start with machine or just go straight to free weights? Im weak as ****.

Finally, Im a vegetarian in Philippines which means the food options which are protein is even more limited (quorn and linda mccartney have quite high protien #'s, and im an awful cook)...how bad is heavily using shakes to get my protein? say 4-6x a day? I dont really know the difference between shake protein vs food protein. Supposed to be 100g+ of protein per day right? no idea how i can hit anywhere close to that number in this country unless for a lot shakes

sorry if these questions are easily found in google...theres just so much different and potentially false information i dont know whats legit and what isnt. thanks 

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

This is why many people hate going to the gym. The fact youre judging people for wearing an item of clothing and linking it to their body type. Especially when vests are perfectly fine gym clothing (well i would think it would be). well done. Maybe its more comfortable for them?

So anyway, tomorrow im going to join a gym. I have really skinny limbs/chest but starting to get quite a bit of fat on stomach/face. What should my calorie intake be? Should it be the standard 2k-2.5k cal for getting bigger or should i aim for around than my daily burn # to get rid of the fat on face/stomach??

Also, how bad are machine weights compared to free? I heard some people say free weights work more muscles but machine helps with the "fundamental muscles"? Do both or start with machine or just go straight to free weights? Im weak as ****.

Finally, Im a vegetarian in Philippines which means the food options which are protein is even more limited (quorn and linda mccartney have quite high protien #'s, and im an awful cook)...how bad is heavily using shakes to get my protein? say 4-6x a day? I dont really know the difference between shake protein vs food protein. Supposed to be 100g+ of protein per day right? no idea how i can hit anywhere close to that number in this country unless for a lot shakes

sorry if these questions are easily found in google...theres just so much different and potentially false information i dont know whats legit and what isnt. thanks

The main problem is people like that training in groups of 3-4, hogging equipment and using the squat rack to bicep curl. Doesnt matter what they wear

Â