Gym Routine

olboydave

Haha sorry that wasn't the clearest description! I meant using both hands to push the bar up, then taking one hand off the bar and just using one arm to resist the negative. Means you can do negatives on the bench without a spotter.

Haha sorry that wasn't the clearest description! I meant using both hands to push the bar up, then taking one hand off the bar and just using one arm to resist the negative. Means you can do negatives on the bench without a spotter.

There was me thinking you had 3 arms.

Made me feel better! 

Just coming off the past page regarding deadlifts how important are they in routines? I don't do them and I've never done them specifically for the reason I'm scared of doing them wrong. What is a reasonable weight to start on?

EDIT: Is it true they are the 'king' of mass builders?

Edited by Warnock

No single exercise is vital for a good routine. There seems to be a form of snobbery amongst some people in the fitness world who think that everyone should deadlift. Deadlifts are great and I'd recommend them to anybody who is physically able to do them but they're certainly not essential. Those with lower back or spinal issues would certainly be better off ditching them. I'm not sure there is any such thing as a king of mass builders, although it's quite fashionable to claim that about the deadlift as it requires the activation of loads of muscle in the posterior chain, as well as grip strength which will help build forearms. I was unable to deadlift for about 2 years due to some spinal issues and didn't notice any difference in my overall muscle mass.

A reasonable weight to start on is something light that would help you get used to the movement. Watch some of the tutorial videos, learn to hip hinge, practise, be consistent and the weight will take care of itself :).

• Like 1

That's answering a slightly different question though JB. No one said they're essential. Just that your body will get more from one of them than it gets from one of anything else.

Squats are safer I think but they're not easier to do. In a deadlift you lean over, grab the bar, stand up and put it back down again (proper form etc etc).

Squat is hugely technical. Starting with where on your back you place the bar. Where you grip the bar so as to flex the back muscles for it to rest on. Then raising elbows behind you to extend the 'shelf'. That's before you even lift it. Then there's the pre-lift check. That you have the right stance. Feet far enough apart to get your arse down but not too far to pull the groin. All the weight on the heel of the foot so you don't lean forward and put pressure on the knees. Balance and straightness being crucial. Again that's before you've even started the exercise.

That's answering a slightly different question though JB. No one said they're essential. Just that your body will get more from one of them than it gets from one of anything else.

Hmm, see I think it is answering the question. He asked how important deads are to a routine. 'Essential' would be a point (the highest) on the scale of importance surely? Saying they're not essential and that it's possible to build a solid routine without them, but to do them if you're able/don't hate them gives an idea of where they would figure on this imaginary importance scale that I seem to have invented :). Perhaps I didn't express myself very clearly. I tend to ramble a bit sometimes :).

Also, I probably wasn't clear enough when I addressed the part about it being the king of mass builders. It could be considered as much, in that it requires the usage of more muscles than pretty much any other exercise. It gives you a lot of 'bang for your buck' so to speak. However, there are individual exercises that activate every single one of those muscles to a higher extent. So you don't need it to get big. If that makes more sense (probably not) :).

Edited by JB

No that does make sense. I was answering his edit. The bang for buck question. Which they are. You'd spend a long time doing all the individual exercises that make up the deadlift but as you say if someone doesn't like them or they're injured (or they've hours and hours to burn) then fire away.

Morning lads,

A question, obviously everyone is different and require a different programme but for the average person, starting from scratch, in what order would you place each muscle group in terms of volume required?

Personally I have it as:

1) Back

2) Chest/Quads/Hamstrings

3) Delts/Triceps

4) Calves/Biceps

Any other opinions?

Looks good to me. For someone starting from scratch, I might not bother with bis, tris and calves, though. Maybe not delts either. I'd probably stick some direct glute work in there.

Â