Gym Routine

olboydave

I went this morning to the gym and went over to the lat pull down.

There was a guy stood next to it with his mates who were also occupying the squat rack as well just having a chat.

I asked him if he was using it and he said yeah so I went over to do something else. 5 minutes later the **** is still not using it so I asked again "Are you finished?" he says "No, I have one more set"

So I replied with "Ok, well i've only got 2 sets to do. I'm going to do them now whilst you rest"

Probably not the smartest thing i've done but at the same time I was done with my workout, just had my last sets to do and I couldn't be arsed with waiting around for him to finish his chat.

My bollocks also grew slightly in circumference as a result. Massive gains in all departments.  :D

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

I leave one plate each side of a barbell when I'm done. Assumign we're talking about one on a squat rack. If I'm deadlifting it gets put away completely.

But yeah, my logic is the majority of the time the next person will want at least 1 plate on each side. So I'm probably saving them work.

I'd agree with that but also with removing them completely. Gotta know your audience so to speak. I'll strip them completely only because its a proper mixed bag at my gym ranging from steroid using monsters to little old ladies who walk around having a conference call on their bluetooth headset whilst busting out some bar only squats at 5:30 in the a.m.

She's my favourite.

• Like 1

I never enjoyed gym mainly because of the idiots in there so decided to join a pricey one to see how it is. I didn't plan to stay longer than 3 months but am still there 7 months later. But I find there are group of completely obnoxious loud mouths that go every day and all you hear is effin and Blinding while trying to relax in sauna or hot tub. I know I may sound like a snob but it's these kind of idiots I pay so much money for to avoid! Really gets my goat.

I never enjoyed gym mainly because of the idiots in there so decided to join a pricey one to see how it is. I didn't plan to stay longer than 3 months but am still there 7 months later. But I find there are group of completely obnoxious loud mouths that go every day and all you hear is effin and Blinding while trying to relax in sauna or hot tub. I know I may sound like a snob but it's these kind of idiots I pay so much money for to avoid! Really gets my goat.

Do you bring your goat to the gym? Because that would be pretty tacky, in and of itself.

Do you bring your goat to the gym? Because that would be pretty tacky, in and of itself.

Hey I pay my money so can take my goat!

I went this morning to the gym and went over to the lat pull down.

There was a guy stood next to it with his mates who were also occupying the squat rack as well just having a chat.

I asked him if he was using it and he said yeah so I went over to do something else. 5 minutes later the **** is still not using it so I asked again "Are you finished?" he says "No, I have one more set"

So I replied with "Ok, well i've only got 2 sets to do. I'm going to do them now whilst you rest"

Probably not the smartest thing i've done but at the same time I was done with my workout, just had my last sets to do and I couldn't be arsed with waiting around for him to finish his chat.

My bollocks also grew slightly in circumference as a result. Massive gains in all departments.  :D

This :D

Okay, so I've been working out with weights for about six months and it's made a pretty massive difference in my fitness. I'm not anal retentive about counting calories or keeping a journal or following a strict programme, but combined with running, the results have been undeniable. However, one thing I've been shying away from that I would actually like to do more with is squats and dead lifts; I just don't know what I'm doing and they terrify me, so I stay away. I feel like my form would be wrong and I'd slip a disc or something. Any advice on easing into something like that?

Okay, so I've been working out with weights for about six months and it's made a pretty massive difference in my fitness. I'm not anal retentive about counting calories or keeping a journal or following a strict programme, but combined with running, the results have been undeniable. However, one thing I've been shying away from that I would actually like to do more with is squats and dead lifts; I just don't know what I'm doing and they terrify me, so I stay away. I feel like my form would be wrong and I'd slip a disc or something. Any advice on easing into something like that?

Best advice would be to ask someone on your gym to show you as its hard to explain in writing, also watch youtube videos aswell. Then just start with the bar only on both exercises until you feel you've got the form correct and the movement feels natural

Best advice would be to ask someone on your gym to show you as its hard to explain in writing, also watch youtube videos aswell. Then just start with the bar only on both exercises until you feel you've got the form correct and the movement feels natural

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I guess I'm anxious to start something new when everybody else over there is lifting small trucks like Bulgarian Olympians. But I'll start slow.

How do people work them into their routine? In terms of grouping them with other exercises, are there ideal times to do them or things to avoid?

Edited by JamieZ

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I guess I'm anxious to start something new when everybody else over there is lifting small trucks like Bulgarian Olympians. But I'll start slow.

How do people work them into their routine? In terms of grouping them with other exercises, are there ideal times to do them or things to avoid?

Ill always do the compound lifts first so you would do deadlift first on backday, squats on leg day.

Dont worry about what other people lift, just worry about getting the correct form on the movement.

Alot of people ego lift in the gym anyway rather than getting form right and really working the muscle fibres.

• Like 1

Agree with Gabbana.

Deadlifts on back day and do them first (after your warm up, which is usually just a few sets of pullups for me)

Squats do on leg day and do them first. Occasionally I'll do some leg extensions first to warm up, but squats will be the first big lift I do.

Start light. That way any incorrect form won't be damaging and you'll have chance to correct it. Gabbana's advice about youtube videos is good too. There's loads out there. Spend half an hour studying some videos about how to do them correctly

• Like 2

Regarding deadlift and squat.  Jamie I was the exact same as you at the beginning in that I was very worried about doing them wrong and doing some damage to myself.  So I studied and studied a lot of youtube videos on form and technique.  On recommendation from the guys in here I found Mark Rippetoe videos to be very helpful because he explains it very simply but thoroughly and he doesn't assume that the viewer has any knowledge so he's giving little tips here and there along the way.

An example

What I will say is that the deadlift technique is a lot simpler than the squat.  There's a lot less to remember.  The most crucial thing about it is never ever 'round' your back.

Personally, those 2 lifts were the 2 lifts where I was lifting the most amount of weight at my peak, which means that everything you do must be correct.  As you go through the reps and sets you get more tired and this is when your form and technique might waver and you might be tempted to cheat or compromise on a lift - and that's exactly when you do NOT do so.  If in any doubt, especially when perfecting your technique, it is better to NOT lift a final deadlift than to do it and pull something.   At least with the squat you'll be in a rack so you can just 'drop' and the bar will rest.  But still, if you only barely stood up on the previous rep then it might be better to rack it.

• Like 2

Lots of good dead lift advice but I'd thought I'd chip in with a few other considerations.

The key to successful/correct deadlifting is learning the fundamental movement pattern involved - the 'hip hinge'. Many beginners make to mistake of thinking that the dead lift is a lower back exercise so the flex there when lowering the bar. It is actually all about the hips extensors (glutes and hamstrings). There are lots of excellent drills available to teach you how to hip hinge and I advise really grooving this pattern before adding weight to the bar.

The best deadlift tutorials I've seen have been by Joe Defranco and Eric Cressey.

https://www.onnit.com/academy/defranco-fitness-tips-how-to-practice-proper-deadlift-form/

http://www.ericcressey.com/learn-how-to-deadlift-detailed-deadlift-technique

With regards to where to fit it in on your training days, it really depends on your goals and your split. Contrary to popular belief, the deadlift is a lower body exercise. Whilst muscles in the back are used as stabilisers and synergists and it can definitely help build a big back, the prime movers are the hamstrings and glutes. Therefore, if you're following an upper/lower split, then deadlifts will be best placed on lower body days. If you're following a typical bodybuilding split then they fit best on leg days. However, lots of people don't like doing them on the same day as squats so shifting deadlifts to back day is a good option. This is actually what I'm doing at the moment.

Edited by JB

Oh and I agree in the strongest possible way with YGabbana and Stevo when they say do the deadlift and squats as the very first lifts on their respective days.  They both take a lot out of you and I never want to be doing those lifts having done anything else because of the tiredness and risk to form that I mentioned earlier.  You want your 'fuel tank' full, so to speak, when you're doing those big ones.

Oh and you'll see massive improvements very quickly with them too.  That's the main beauty about them.  They're the 2 single most all-encompassing lifts you can do IINM, and particularly with the squat working the glutes and thighs, everything else will benefit from the extra testosterone <- I know that last point gets disputed but personal experience certainly confirms it from my POV.

But to bring it all back.  The most important thing is to enjoy it.  Keep the weight LIGHT until you have the technique down proper and it becomes second nature to you to lift correctly.  Then when you go through the weights you won't have to THINK about how to do them, you'll just do them naturally and properly. 

• Like 2

Thanks, guys. I'll start slow, maybe ask the pretty girl who is always over there doing different types of squats like a freaking champion for some tips, and work from there.

In the past, I've avoided doing these things since I run as my primary lower-body exercise, but I've been injured and really want to rebuild some strength in the area before I ease back into serious running. I can only imagine a decent lower-body routine would improve my general fitness, anyway.

Squats and deadlifts are awesome exercises. But I made the mistake of once of lifting to heavy on deadlift with poor form. My back was killing for a weak.

Also I see people doing squats using the smith machine. It looks so unnatural and dangerous.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â