What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I had to go into town before for work, oh dear, records were bought

Still in work but I have this on now as I couldn't wait to get home to listen to it

Two rediscovered Jean-Claude Vannier soundtracks from the '60s. La Bête Noire (complete) and some more from Paris N'Existe Pas (incomplete)

Thought to be lost forever but again dug out by Andy Votel's wonderful Finders Keepers label

Jean-Claude Vannier is known for his collaborations with Serge Gainsbourg (who was involved on Paris N'Existe). Known as the arranger's arranger, he created the blueprint for French Symphonic Psychedelia, this leans heavily on his liking for Free Jazz too. 

NzQtODY5OS5qcGVn.jpegNTQtMjU4OS5qcGVn.jpeg

More purchases to follow later.

So, I'm home and this one was the first to be played

New album from The Comet is Coming - Hyperdimensional Expansion Beam

MTgtNDM1NC5qcGVn.jpeg

On first play, it doesn't hit you as immediately as their previous releases but I think it'll definitely be a grower. I like it, there's more subtle textures going on  in the background compared to the previous albums

• Like 2

Next up is this not really an album, a 2 track 10" but it's also a soundtrack to a graphic novel, which is a bit unusual in itself and as it plays at 33 and we don't really have an EP topic, it's going in here

A favourite of mine, the Bristolian Krautrock inspired Beak>

With KosmiK Musik, soundtrack to a graphic novel of the same name by Joe Cume and Ben Wheatley

@osmark86This might be up your street

NjQtNzgzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Another new release. Double LP compilation of Garage music (no not that dance bollocks), thats runs from the early stuff in the 60s like Psychotic Reaction by The Count Five and the 13th Floor Elevators, through to the current day, via stuff like Weed Bus by The Stairs (Edgar Jones) to Tame Impala / Pond / Oh Sees

By the same label (Two Piers) that also gave us the Pop Psychedelique compilation of French Psyche

This is not full of hidden gems but it is full of top tunes

Garage Psychedelique.

GaragePsychedelique_Cover_480x.jpg?v=165

• Like 2

I think I posted this before but as I have it on right now and for the benefit of @osmark86 Minami Deutsch and their eponymous debut from 2015. Now on their 3rd album, digital released a while back, physical about to hit shops very soon

The label says it all. Japanese motorik driven Krautrock

NjgtNzU4Mi5qcGVn.jpegNjktNzIyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bickster said:

I think I posted this before but as I have it on right now and for the benefit of @osmark86 Minami Deutsch and their eponymous debut from 2015. Now on their 3rd album, digital released a while back, physical about to hit shops very soon

The label says it all. Japanese motorik driven Krautrock

NjgtNzU4Mi5qcGVn.jpegNjktNzIyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

yeah this is a great album. I love their other newer LPs as well :)

30 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Danish jam rock with psychedelic, space vibes. Also some stoner and jazz thrown in for good measure.

Been jaming through their summer session LPs (there's 3 of them). Fantastic stuff!

Didn't know they'd released new stuff, my wallet will not enjoy this  :D

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2022 at 19:35, bickster said:

Next up is this not really an album, a 2 track 10" but it's also a soundtrack to a graphic novel, which is a bit unusual in itself and as it plays at 33 and we don't really have an EP topic, it's going in here

A favourite of mine, the Bristolian Krautrock inspired Beak>

With KosmiK Musik, soundtrack to a graphic novel of the same name by Joe Cume and Ben Wheatley

@osmark86This might be up your street

NjQtNzgzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

This is pretty cool. Nice mix between electronic driven tracks and guitar driven tracks. The EP flows together as one seemless song with multiple movements and the arpeggiated motif throughout is nice and melancholic. Solid stuff!

Slipknot - The End, So Far.

image.thumb.jpeg.e810ae46d3fc8257ae207c03c6525cbb.jpeg

Weird. Not taken with it on first listen but it’s not bad either. Going to take a few listens before I understand it I think. Strangest opening track on any of their albums so far. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Weird. Not taken with it on first listen but it’s not bad either. Going to take a few listens before I understand it I think. Strangest opening track on any of their albums so far. 

That's where I'm at with the album too.

It's their final album with Roadrunner Records and it very much feels like a contractual obligation album. This was album 7 of a 7-album deal and it just feels like they polished up some B-sides from the previous album cycle and released it. 

It's not a bad album by any stretch, but it's definitely not their most inspired work. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daweii said:

That's where I'm at with the album too.

It's their final album with Roadrunner Records and it very much feels like a contractual obligation album. This was album 7 of a 7-album deal and it just feels like they polished up some B-sides from the previous album cycle and released it. 

It's not a bad album by any stretch, but it's definitely not their most inspired work. 

Didn’t know they were leaving RR. Guess it’s an apt title name then.

Im halfway through my second listen and one thing I’ve just realised and glad about is the lack of indulgent interludes after every couple of tracks on WANYK. A couple are ok but it took up half the track listing before.

Also, Medicine for the Dead, possibly my favourite track on the album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e810ae46d3fc8257ae207c03c6525cbb.jpeg

slow start, hits one or 2 really good songs like hive mind and warranty then to some really weird ones like heirloom, which is just a poor song that should be nowhere near a slipknot album.

and the likes of de sade and the dying song just sound like stone sour

the fact that jim root has even said he's not really happy with it says it all though. even the good songs i don't see being a regular on setlists. it's not bad, just a bit forgettable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Also, Medicine for the Dead, possibly my favourite track on the album.

yeah i should've given this an honourable mention too - those 3 tracks with the 2 i mentioned are definitely the best part of the album

Compilation of original period Jamaican Ska released in 1989. - The Liquidators Join the Ska Train

There were lots of Ska compilations but few of them put all the songs popular during the 2-Tone revival in one place. This one did even though it was released ten years after the start of the 2-Tone period.

I guess it really is Now Thats What I Call Ska Volume 1

And if you want a shit front cover, this one is shitter than shit. The music more than makes up for it though, with a double album like this you expect filler but the filler here is great

NS02NzUyLmpwZWc.jpegMC0zMjY5LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 3

Picked up this compilation today - Beautiful Freaks - When Music was the Counter Culture

£19.99 reasonable price fro a double album these days and a proper double album not a pretend one

Picture for illustrative purposes only, the wording is different on the actual cover (I may have to head for a Discogs argument here). Here's the tracklist

A1    Allen Ginsberg–    Footnote To Howl
A2    The Grateful Dead–    That's It For The Other One (Pts I-IV)
A3    The Fool–    Fly
A4    Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band–    Music For The Head Ballet
B1    Third Ear Band–    Earth
B2    Brigitte Fontaine–    Le Goudron
B3    The Incredible String Band–    Way Back In The 1960s
B4    Witthüser & Westrupp–    Nimm Einen Joint Mein Freund
C1    Gong–    Fohat Digs Holes In Space
C2    Hapshash & The Coloured Coat–    A Mind Blown Is A Mind Shown
C3    Hawkwind–    Be Yourself
C4    Yoko Ono–    Why
D1    David Peel & The Lower East Side–    Up Against The Wall
D2    The Holy Modal Rounders–    The STP Song
D3    Country Joe And The Fish–    The Fish Cheer / I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag
D4    Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band–    That Cat Is High
D5    Timothy Leary*–    Part II: One Final Word
D6    The Fugs–    Exorcising The Evil Spirits From The Pentagon, October 21, 1967

NzktNDgzMy5qcGVn.jpeg

Â