• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a life-long Browns fan and became an American Villan when Lerner bought the club. I can share my feelings on Randy having watched him run the Browns for the last few years.

I believe that he is an honorable man who cares about doing business the right way and also about the history, fans and legacy of both of his football teams. His nickname over here is 'Jammies' because when he took over the Browns from his recently deceased dad, he related a story of how he proudly wore his Browns pajamas as a kid. I honestly believe he has the same passion for Villa, and has shown it in his willingness to invest in the club.

The story behind the Browns' last coaching change gives you an idea about Randy's weakness, however. Long story short: Randy hired Eric Mangini (not a popular choice with fans or media) Eric 'cleaned out' the Browns of high-priced, troublesome players and consequently had a terrible start to his first season...resulting in much wailing from fans and media. (American football is a bit different in that it takes much longer to turn around a team that's gone on hard times...Mangini's struggles didn't surprise some of us more level headed fans) Halfway through Mangini's first season, Randy cleaned out the General Manager that Mangini had appointed (with Randy's blessing) and hired in a football legend named Mike Holmgren as team president. Essentially hiring in a guy who would have firing power over the coach Randy had hired a half year before. To his credit, Mangini did his best to make it work but eventually failed.

So, as a fan, what am I to think of Randy? The whole episode smacked of panic and knee-jerk reaction, but at the end of the day the Browns suddenly have the strongest leadership structure we've seen...well, in my 30 years of watching the team. Mind you, Holmgren and his new GM and coach haven't won anything yet, but we feel like we finally have stability.

And what does this mean for Villa? Dunno. Maybe I'm trying to say that although this seems like a total clusterf*ck, I know Randy is not trying to insult fans or drive Villa into the ground. He is trying his best to get the right guy.

Also, keep in mind that over here team owners usually interview many coaches before making the hire. From what I've read Randy has only interviewed McLeish...it seems everyone is assuming that automatically means an appointment, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Anyway, sorry for the length of the post. Hope it sheds some light.

I just want the villa to challenge. I think the graffit ws very harse I really hope that Randy does not take it too badly and leave the club because ti be honest if I was him id be so disgusted and have to walk

I'm a life-long Browns fan and became an American Villan when Lerner bought the club. I can share my feelings on Randy having watched him run the Browns for the last few years.

I believe that he is an honorable man who cares about doing business the right way and also about the history, fans and legacy of both of his football teams. His nickname over here is 'Jammies' because when he took over the Browns from his recently deceased dad, he related a story of how he proudly wore his Browns pajamas as a kid. I honestly believe he has the same passion for Villa, and has shown it in his willingness to invest in the club.

The story behind the Browns' last coaching change gives you an idea about Randy's weakness, however. Long story short: Randy hired Eric Mangini (not a popular choice with fans or media) Eric 'cleaned out' the Browns of high-priced, troublesome players and consequently had a terrible start to his first season...resulting in much wailing from fans and media. (American football is a bit different in that it takes much longer to turn around a team that's gone on hard times...Mangini's struggles didn't surprise some of us more level headed fans) Halfway through Mangini's first season, Randy cleaned out the General Manager that Mangini had appointed (with Randy's blessing) and hired in a football legend named Mike Holmgren as team president. Essentially hiring in a guy who would have firing power over the coach Randy had hired a half year before. To his credit, Mangini did his best to make it work but eventually failed.

So, as a fan, what am I to think of Randy? The whole episode smacked of panic and knee-jerk reaction, but at the end of the day the Browns suddenly have the strongest leadership structure we've seen...well, in my 30 years of watching the team. Mind you, Holmgren and his new GM and coach haven't won anything yet, but we feel like we finally have stability.

And what does this mean for Villa? Dunno. Maybe I'm trying to say that although this seems like a total clusterf*ck, I know Randy is not trying to insult fans or drive Villa into the ground. He is trying his best to get the right guy.

Also, keep in mind that over here team owners usually interview many coaches before making the hire. From what I've read Randy has only interviewed McLeish...it seems everyone is assuming that automatically means an appointment, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Anyway, sorry for the length of the post. Hope it sheds some light.

Excellent post mate. :)

i think we might hear something in the next hour.

Talksport 23hrs ago stated that AM would sign and an announcement would be made within the next 24hrs. This announcement started this whole episode proper. Time will tell.

We all love the Villa but the highest profile manager is need with isnt AM. Randy has a bucket full of money if we get a major high profile manager or even someone with abit of difference to most manager. My choice is Rijkaard he was a awsome player who graced the biggest stages he would have the same desire as us villans. UP THE VILLA

We all love the Villa but the highest profile manager is need with isnt AM. Randy has a bucket full of money if we get a major high profile manager or even someone with abit of difference to most manager. My choice is Rijkaard he was a awsome player who graced the biggest stages he would have the same desire as us villans. UP THE VILLA

I would also rather have Reijkaard than Mcleish, but what is to say Reijkaard is even interrested? Because Tribalfootball says so??

If Randy sees McLeish as the best man for Villa, I support him.

Just had a call that it has just been announced that an announcement tonight

The dreaded announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes with a 'I AM LEAVING AVFC from RL.' Wouldn't be surprised after what has happened today. How will fans react then?