• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

When we sell players it tends to be because they want to leave for the Champions League football that we're still some way off being able to offer, when your players leave it seems to be because you need another 50p for the 'leccy meter.

I can't buy into this at all. Our players have left recently for exactly the same reason as yours have. The most high profile player to leave recently was Lescott, who left in exactly the same reasons as Gareth Barry. Pienaar left as he wanted CL football, and go it.

We need to sell to buy, we dont need to sell to keep the club afloat. Our finances are a problem but are not the endemic some make them out to be.

Everton and Villa are both in the same position where we're stuck under the glass ceiling of the top 4. Players leave our clubs for the same reasons. Either they're greedy or their tired of waiting for our clubs to make the great leap forward.

Here's a "rumour" for you. Leighton Baines is going to Arsenal and he is being sold because you need the money as he has years left on his contract. The Arsenal bit is pure conjecture on my behalf but the Baines family will be living in London isn't (Arsenal being the logical choice on the need-Baines-O-meter)

I'm not really sure what your getting at here or where this notion that Baines family is moving to London. If you've genuinly got inside info then fair enough.

For my money Everton will sell Rodwell this summer to fund our transfers, as well as clearing away the dead wood (That being Yobo, Yakubu and Vaughn, if we could sell Anichebe i'd be delighted as he's beyond woeful). Baines only recently signed a 5 year deal and can;t see him forcing a move anywhere. I do agree with you that Arsenal would seem a logical move for him, as they are in dire need of a decent left back, the only problem i see with Arsenal is that i can't see Wenger wanting to spend the kind of money that Baines would cost. It's hard enough to imagine Wenger spend a large amount on a player, let alone an English player!

People may come in for Baines but it will take big money for him to go due to his value to Everton and the ridiculous way that the price of English talent has been inflatted. £20m for Phil Jones? Football really is going mad!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people thinking that maybe managers dont really fancy this job because of the shitstorm Houllier faced last season??

Gotta be slightly off putting.

This

Probably coupled with the fact were selling our best players for yet another season in a row and the rumoured transfer kitty isn't meant to be big either.

If they are turning this job down because of a "rumoured" transfer kitty they are mental. I would assume they'd at the very least would talk to Lerner first and hear his views, and as far as I know we have no clue at all who Lerner have met with and interviewed for the job.

Are people thinking that maybe managers dont really fancy this job because of the shitstorm Houllier faced last season??

This

Probably coupled with the fact were selling our best players for yet another season in a row and the rumoured transfer kitty isn't meant to be big either.

You need to stop living in rumourland and belt up.

This

Lets face it, rightly or wrongly, Houlliers reputation is pretty much in tatters. Would another 'high profile' name be willing to come here and risk doing that to his own reputation? I doubt it.

Get Billy Davies in.

On the 'Ambition of being a top side':

Anyone expecting us to miraculously transform into a 'top side' in the next 4 or 5 years needs to take a reality check. We havent been a top side for the best part of 20 years, so expecting it like it's some kind of god-given right is over-shooting the mark somewhat.

If it upsets anyone that we may not imminently be challenging for the top 4 because we appoint a manager like Hughes or Coyle, then said people are probably following the wrong club. We are an upper-mid table side, with aspirations of finishing higher. The likely hood of us breaking the top 4 is slim, and get's slimmer by the day with the advances of Man City.

What we need is a manager with a long term vision for the club, who can start building a footballing philosophy back into the way we approach matchdays. A manager who can stick around long enough to feed a footballing ethos right through the club, back to the Youth teams and into the senior squad.

Ancelotti would have been nice, but let's not kid ourselves, he would have been off to a champions league outfit at the first opportunity. Moyes isnt realistic, we were far short of Everton last year. Hughes or Coyle though would be about right; Good, young managers who should be able to achieve all they want to at a club like Villa.

This

Nail on the head. Your point has no worth once you put rumoured.

What is that based on...Rafa rejecting us because he wanted more funds? We didn't even speak to the guy! Pure and utter rubbish!

People have to start learning that the top brass at the club run a tight ship! They let slip little snippets of information to select people but the big, real news, they keep quiet.

People are being impatient here. At the end of the day, they don't want to get it wrong and it is not as easy as picking a name out of a hat! I know other teams have got managers pretty quickly but that means nothing...I forgot a quick appointment brought success.

Although frustrating for us fans who want someone in now I think the club are doing the right thing. How are we a laughing stock ? Martinez did not reject the Villa job as we never offered it to him, hell we never even got to speak to him so how can he reject a job that wasn't offered ? What he did was decide not to be interviewed.

We are doing exactly what we said we would do. We are looking at all the available candidates. Interviewing those we deem suitable and then when we are ready we will make an appointment. I think this is 100% the correct approach. Wether we will appoint someone I or you personally agree with is another matter.

The press aren't being fed and are getting hungry so they just make shit up. We all know this.

The longer it drags on though the more likely Hughes seems but the fact is nobody (who is talking) knows anything at the moment.

This

Lets face it, rightly or wrongly, Houlliers reputation is pretty much in tatters. Would another 'high profile' name be willing to come here and risk doing that to his own reputation? I doubt it.

Get Billy Davies in.

Houllier's reputation is not "in tatters". Outside of the Premier League he's still a respected European coach who lets not forget was working for the French Federation before joining us.

Less than a season in charge of Villa over what, 20 years, is hardly going to kill his reputation.

As to whether a high profile manager would "risk" coming to Villa? Of course they would. Any damage to Houllier's reputation was only a reflection of his own shortcomings, nothing to do with how Aston Villa fans treated him.

What, getting an illness ....not sure that was because he was at Villa.

I wouldnt be so sure about that!!

Seriously though, i mean the way the fans turned on him. If the new guy comes in and doesnt hit the ground running then that could be another disaster. I think we need somebody who doesnt come with too much expectation.

That's fair enough, and obviously I am of a persuasion that Moyes won't leave, as is my right. And people on here may be of the persuasion that Moyes will join Villa, as is there right.

I'll probably stop posting now as some seem to be taking this all the wrong way. Just wanted to try and help out with what i've heard. i live in Birmingham so have alot of time for Villa and go along to Villa park when i'm not at Goodison so thought 'd just try and bridge a divide slightly.

Stay on mate. Your views are appreciated. Don't mind the perpetually grumpy people, they'll never be happy no matter what. :)

I agree. Most of us appreciate fair and independent comments from other fans, and it's a pity if one or two replies give a different impression.

This

You need to stop living in rumourland and belt up.

Wow! i apologise for speculating about something nobody knows anything about at this point! if thats the case there would be no point in having a debate would there...

It won't be McLeish - RL has shown that he does things above board and McLeish's resignation does not fit with that

The fact that the bookies odds are swinging so wildly shows that no-one has a clue whats going on.

I've still got massive faith in Randy (although I really would like him to pull his finger out to give the new manager time to work in the transfer market)

Personally I think it will be Moyes or Hughes although I would love it if they gave Poyet a chance - I worked down in Brighton for a few months and the guy is the messiah down there. I think he will turn out to be a top, top manager and is exactly the type we should go for - young, ambitious, played at the top level, ultra-professional, well-respected in the game and maybe could unearth a few gems from the lower divisions