• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

We don't/never have attracted top players though...the best way forward for us is to find the top players when they are young and develop them ourselves.

And sell them when they reach their prime? We also need to buy established stars to convince these younger players the club have ambitions to reach top 4. We havent and as a result have lost our best players 3 years in a row. That philosophy you mention hasnt worked at Arsenal under Wenger, so what makes you think it will work at Villa?

You say that, but if Martinez is seen to be building something, then he might be able to keep his players.

Let's not forget, Rodallega and N'Zogbia were both strongly linked away to other teams last summer and in January, but they stuck with lowly Wigan.

Maybe Martinez's friendly approach with the players keeps them on his side? Who knows.

I don't think many managers would struggle to think of established Premier League players to buy. It's just a matter of whether the board will finance it. We showed in January that we're not afraid of spending big money on established players. This is what Arsenal lack.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we took on a manager like RM and downing didn't want to stay because of it and left but RM then picked up some unknown young players that were the next best thing and he became a great manager who could then attract the best in the world then so what about Downing. Sometimes a risk/gamble needs to be taken to get there. I think most of you a deluded into thinking the club is bigger than it is and that we deserve on merit to be mentioned in the same breath as the top 4's

Bang on the money. We are a club that haven't won anything (except Intertoto and the peace cup) since 1996.

Loads of teams in England have history but it don't mean that you attract massive names, give the guy a break before he has even got in the job, maybe have a bit of faith that this guy can do something with the right resources.

Sounds like Randy is after a YES man. No wonder he wouldn't entertain Rafa.

Do people think Martinez would work for Villa? He likes continental style very slow build up from the back. No offense but we have a very uncultured/neanderthal fanbase. I can just imagine the Holte going mad because we weren't going forward quick enough, he even used to get this at Swansea. He's also been on the end of some severe beatings which at Wigan maybe acceptable but at Villa it's a definite no-no. Whilst I have no doubt he is a very dignified man who goes about things the right way, he's never won anything as a player or a manager. I like the idea of building a dynasty but not sure RM is the man for the job.

He's only managed Swansea and Wigan and is only 37. Give the poor guy a chance.

1) Get an average/good manager who will establish us in the top half by playing kick-n-run football. Yay. We'll all be loving it. Until we realise that we can't get higher than 7th by playing that style of football.

2) Get a manager who plays with a footballing philosophy, give him time to build a team and instill this philosophy with all HIS players. Then this team will be able to push for greater honours - even if it takes time to build that team.

Unfortunately football fans, especially at our club don't have the patience for that and it worries me. We could be 10th 10 games into the season and the fans would already be on his back.

Yeah, that's my worry too.

I'll just continue to stick by whoever is appointed. But I'll definatly make it known that I'm happy with someone like Martinez, if he is appointed!

I'd appoint him just for his flashy suits and his cheeky smile.

Sounds like someone's falling in love! :winkold:

Whilst I have no doubt he is a very dignified man who goes about things the right way, he's never won anything as a player or a manager

Didn't he win the league with Swansea? I know it's a lower league, but you can only win the one you're in.

Whelan's assertion that Martinez is destined to be manager of one of the Top 6 clubs in the world is laughable

His win % is 26 **** %

Id say Dave Whelan knows more about Martinez' ability/potential to manage a top club than you do!!

Do people think Martinez would work for Villa? He likes continental style very slow build up from the back. No offense but we have a very uncultured/neanderthal fanbase. I can just imagine the Holte going mad because we weren't going forward quick enough, he even used to get this at Swansea. He's also been on the end of some severe beatings which at Wigan maybe acceptable but at Villa it's a definite no-no. Whilst I have no doubt he is a very dignified man who goes about things the right way, he's never won anything as a player or a manager. I like the idea of building a dynasty but not sure RM is the man for the job.

I don't think he's after a yes man its just that Rafa talked himself out of the job. He probably didn't want to hear from a manager in their first conversation ' I need £30million to consider the job'

Agree that it might take some getting used to however if the results ome from that style I don't see it being an issue for too long.

As for him never winning anything as a player - that doesn't matter, there's loads of top managers that haven't done this. As a manager again its about putting things into perspective regatrding who he has managed.

Dress it up how like - this appointment is a disaster for Aston Villa.

Yes he will have access to better quality players - but the flipside is that these better players are more difficult to manage. I think a bloke with only 4 years management experience will quickly crumble under the pressure.

Like he crumbled in arguably the ultimate pressure cooker situation, relegation?

And our team is hardly filled with egoistical players like Ronaldo or Tevez that he would face such difficulties managing them...

Hate to be a party pooper kids, but last time I checked we hadn't actually appointed Martinez, or anyone else for that matter?!

But don't let that get in the way of slagging Randy and co off now will you! ;)

Absolutley - Randy is after a Yes Man - thats why Hughes has been discounted so quickly - he wouldn't be Faulners Puppet like RM will be.

1) Get an average/good manager who will establish us in the top half by playing kick-n-run football. Yay. We'll all be loving it. Until we realise that we can't get higher than 7th by playing that style of football.

2) Get a manager who plays with a footballing philosophy, give him time to build a team and instill this philosophy with all HIS players. Then this team will be able to push for greater honours - even if it takes time to build that team.

Unfortunately football fans, especially at our club don't have the patience for that and it worries me. We could be 10th 10 games into the season and the fans would already be on his back.

I'll just continue to stick by whoever is appointed. But I'll definatly make it known that I'm happy with someone like Martinez, if he is appointed!

Ha. LOL'd at that.

The fans can like it or lump it. If he gets appointed then the neanderthals need to get it in his head that he's here for the long run because we want to build from the ground up.

"This is the guy who unearthed gems like Jason Scotland, Angel Rangel, Jordi Gomez and Ferri Bodde"

Hardly a ringing endorsement

He picked them up for a couple of magic beans each though. I'm just putting it into perspective.

Would you rather he asked clubs to name their price on players like Sidwell, Warnock and Shorey etc?

Ha. LOL'd at that.

and what? Me and the gf split up a few months ago, Roberto's smile gets me through the day..

:winkold:

We don't/never have attracted top players though...the best way forward for us is to find the top players when they are young and develop them ourselves.

Exactly - it's CL football and outrageous wages that attract the top players. Anyone think Van Der Vaart went to Spurs because of Harry Redknapp?

Well its not outrageous wages with van der Vaart as spurs have a wage cap

Fair enough - but he'll still be getting at least what we pay our top earners.

My point is when Van Der Vaart was told of Spurs' interest, I doubt being managed by Redknapp was the major attraction. It was cash and CL football.

Absolutley - Randy is after a Yes Man - thats why Hughes has been discounted so quickly - he wouldn't be Faulners Puppet like RM will be.

What utter bollocks this is. And the quoted text above it.

Whilst I have no doubt he is a very dignified man who goes about things the right way, he's never won anything as a player or a manager

Didn't he win the league with Swansea? I know it's a lower league, but you can only win the one you're in.

Yes, it was his first season in management and they absolutely ran away with it, finishing with 92 points. He then won manager of the season too.