• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

I love these types of arguments, so you're trying to tell me that different seasons don't have many variables like teams around them strengthening, while they also lose playes and are not able to replace them. We finished 6th under Oleary one season then scrapped for relegation another, same with Leeds. So does this mean DOL>DOL??? People should try and look at things more objectively sometimes. Having said that I still want Ancellotti, but would also welcome Martinez.

Well you haffi luk pon di facts. And facts tell yu dat Steve Bruce mek Martinez luk like novice!

Because he's Jamaican-Villan, right?

yehman 8)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick to death of 'the board are a disgrace, the way we've gone about all this is a disgrace' talk!! Shut up pissing and sodding moaning! We haven't got any confirmations that we have a new manager in place! So far it's been Hughes' job, Ancelotti's, Coyle's, McClaren's, Rafa's, Jol's, Moyes' and now Martinez's. We've got one of the classiest boards in the country, ok we may come across as slightly naive at times, but just look at Whelan's comments as an example, acting in a very professional manner. Disgrace?? Some of the fans' views that I have to put up with on here are far more disgraceful.

****!

Balls - you dont have to put up with it - if you dont like other people views than play somewhere else

We've had the chance to go for Hughes or Jol and we havent gone for either

Instead we've interviewed Steve **** McClaren and on the verge of appointing Martinez, who is probably a very nice man,but has finished 16th twice, got dicked 4-1 at home to blackpool first game of season and has a win % of 24%...weve been pissing in the wind for weeks - the board have known for **** ages that GH wasnt going to come back so weve gone and headhunted a manager whose side nearly got relegated (twice) - its **** bullshit

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

I love these types of arguments, so you're trying to tell me that different seasons don't have many variables like teams around them strengthening, while they also lose playes and are not able to replace them. We finished 6th under Oleary one season then scrapped for relegation another, same with Leeds. So does this mean DOL>DOL??? People should try and look at things more objectively sometimes. Having said that I still want Ancellotti, but would also welcome Martinez.

Well you haffi luk pon di facts. And facts tell yu dat Steve Bruce mek Martinez luk like novice!

:shock: . Weh di patois come from chief? 8)

:winkold:

MM...bent style meltdown......there goes his credibility. and dont talk nonsense, he meant a positive meltdown. but, i'd be happy if it was martinez.
To be fair, these are just rumours, so we'll have to wait and see until the Villa manager is actually unveiled before saying that.

Personally I think and hope that this is just more smoke and mirrors.

there it is again,'smoke and mirrors'. you're right its ancelotti. its not some eliteist secret society. its the aston villa board trying to appoint a manager of a football club.

MM...bent style meltdown......there goes his credibility. and dont talk nonsense, he meant a positive meltdown. but, i'd be happy if it was martinez.
To be fair, these are just rumours, so we'll have to wait and see until the Villa manager is actually unveiled before saying that.

Personally I think and hope that this is just more smoke and mirrors.

there it is again,'smoke and mirrors'. you're right its ancelotti. its not some eliteist secret society. its the aston villa board trying to appoint a manager of a football club.

I think more realistically it could be Moyes.

So to summarise some of the posts of who people want going by majority

1. Ancelotti - Big european manager, can walk into most jobs which he knows he can - Villa don't fit that bill.

2. Moyes - Won't leave Everton, clearly waiting for the Man U job, understandable.

3. Hughes - Has walked out on 2 clubs aswell as national team manager, up sticks whenever he thinks the grass is greener, which does give Lerner good reason to think this is a stable appointment. Good eye for a player though.

Who we don't want

1. McLaren - was assistant to Fergie, took boro to the uefa cup final and had 1 very poor season at boro but took them to their best position as a club ever, was awful for England. Went away though, Won the Dutch title with Twente which was their first ever. Didn't work out at wolfsburg

2. Rafa - Managed 3 massive clubs in Inter Liverpool and Valencia, made dodgy signings at Liverpool but also brought in some good players. Won 2 La Liga's, UEFA cup final, 2 champ leagues finals which he lost with valencia, won champs league, FA cup.

3. Martinez - up and coming manager, plenty to prove, can get a bargain, does well with limited resources and plays good football

4. Coyle-pretty much the same as Martinez.

So apart from the managers who we can't get. What are we actually expecting as fans if we don't even want managers who have actually won things.

Good post! Sums this thread up perfectly

I think some people are missing the point about Martinez. It's his footballing philosophies which make him an attractive proposition.

You could give Steve Bruce a better set of players and be would produce the same mid table muck. Give Martinez a better set of players and his ideas would at least achieve top 6-8.

where do all the papers get this tight budget shit from

we spent £24m on one player in Jan and have constantly spent money since Lerner took over

As a life long Villa fan living in Swansea (father born and bred in Aston) I have first hand knowledge of Martinez which I would like to share with you.. He is Mr Personality plus,could sell ice to an ice cube,if appointed to Villa he will without remorse asset strip Wigan of their best players and will be constantly active in the transfer market looking out for jewels at low cost. In addition to personality plus he is as ruthless under the suave public face as you could get,sometimes for the wrong reasons his own ego.He his hated amongst many,many Swans fans for the way he left the club in the lurch talking to Wigan covertly at the same time as saying he would never leave the Swans unless he was sacked. His teams play lovely football,quick and incisive and pass,pass,pass so be prepared.However,he hasn't a clue how to organise a defence so the goals against column will be ticking over. I have my reservations about him,but have a sneaking feeling that he could do a very good job at our beloved Villa,has a very agile football brain and with a good pot of cash to spend could turn out to be an inspired appointment.If he is appointed do not be surprised that if Real Madrid come calling and Villa are in the top 6 in the Premier League he will be off before Randy's plane touches down to stop him,such is the nature of the beast.

I'm sick to death of 'the board are a disgrace, the way we've gone about all this is a disgrace' talk!! Shut up pissing and sodding moaning! We haven't got any confirmations that we have a new manager in place! So far it's been Hughes' job, Ancelotti's, Coyle's, McClaren's, Rafa's, Jol's, Moyes' and now Martinez's. We've got one of the classiest boards in the country, ok we may come across as slightly naive at times, but just look at Whelan's comments as an example, acting in a very professional manner. Disgrace?? Some of the fans' views that I have to put up with on here are far more disgraceful.

****!

Balls - you dont have to put up with it - if you dont like other people views than play somewhere else

We've had the chance to go for Hughes or Jol and we havent gone for either

Instead we've interviewed Steve **** McClaren and on the verge of appointing Martinez, who is probably a very nice man,but has finished 16th twice, got dicked 4-1 at home to blackpool first game of season and has a win % of 24%...weve been pissing in the wind for weeks - the board have known for **** ages that GH wasnt going to come back so weve gone and headhunted a manager whose side nearly got relegated (twice) - its **** bullshit

I'm all for people having their opinion, it makes it all the more interesting. But, the constant slagging off of the board from a select few before anything has been set in stone is what pisses me off. Over reactions to every name that has come up in the past week, until things are confirmed from the club itself what is the point tearing strips off Randy because of what you read in a forum, a blog, newspapers and **** Twitter??

after reading that http://tinyurl.com/68lvt6p

I feel a little bit harsh on mclaren

we are so quick to make a decision without thinking it through.

pay compensation (reducing transfe budget) for Martinez or get mclaren for free.

cant help but feel we have made our own bed we will have to lie in it.

martinez or mclaren?

if they were the two what would you do?

True BUT they aren't the only two. In fact, there are numerous better candidates!

I think some people are missing the point about Martinez. It's his footballing philosophies which make him an attractive proposition.

You could give Steve Bruce a better set of players and be would produce the same mid table muck. Give Martinez a better set of players and his ideas would at least achieve top 6-8.

Based on what?

Look at the facts.

Steve Bruce outperformed Roberto Martinez at Wigan Athletic.