Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Some TalkSport guy just RT this:

RT @MRiemen: @VillaMatt According to Sky in Italia Ancelotti is gonna turn down Roma and will be named avfc (manager before saturday.

Probably bullshit.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some TalkSport guy just RT this:

RT @MRiemen: @VillaMatt According to Sky in Italia Ancelotti is gonna turn down Roma and will be named avfc (manager before saturday.

Probably bullshit.

Turns down Rome from Birmingham.

The poor bastard. He's clearly mental.

I **** love him more :lol:

:likeit:

Hmm looks like not Hughes then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13628221.stm

If its Ancelotti great but if its not missed a trick there with Hughes.

McClaren or Benitez names keep springing up .....*shudder*

Tbh all that report says is that we haven't contacted him...... yet. Doesn't say we won't or aren't interested.

Actually if you read the quotes its a completley differently story to the opening paragraph.Basically faulkner has said the new manager hunt has started. He doesn't mention hughes - let alone rule him out.

Couldn't see Faulkner wanting hughes - Faulkner would be to intimidated\frightened of him. If the decision is Faulkners then its Mclaren or Benitez.

Still hope it hughes - but don't think its anywhere near certain.

FWIW, here's my thoughts:

Moyes: The fan's favorite. Seems to be regarded as highly successful without having actually won (or done) anything spectacular. Sure he had a top 4 finish with Everton, but I fel that was partly due to Liverpool's failings that season. (They were unusually awful for large parts of the season and by the time they were trying to catch up with Everton it was too late). But fair play to Moyes, he got them there....only for them to fall at the first hurdle in the CL qualified I believe. His total points tally which got Everton to 4th was 61 pts, which is fewer than MON achieved in his final two seasons with us. I would, however welcome this guy with welcomed arms as he seems to get his team working for him. They want to play for him and they want win for him - much like we had with the great Ulsterman MON. We need to get back what we had under MON, a solid team capable of winning anywhere, strong at the back with British quality throughout who work extremely hard. Moyes is one of them managers who has great respect in football and is an honest guy. I like that and I think our fans will like that. Who knows with more money available he may prove to be an even better manager than he is regarded as. Looking at his team's final positions over last 8 or so seasons, there's a few 5th place finishes, one 4th, one 17th and a few mid table - so barring that one blip year, its a decent enough record I fell, esp in a league which now has to fight against the monopoly held by Chelsea, Man City and the improvement of Spurs and Liverpool etc. Overall, id be chuffed with Moyes and would hope to see him bring Cahill and Arteta with him. Cahill is, and has been for ages, my favourite midfielder outside of the avfc. Im sure I read that Moyes was qwuoted as saying he "is not interested" in the villa job. Cant see him leaving Everton unless RL offers him big money in his pocket and big money in his budget to spend. Even then I get the impression he gets on very well with Everton's chairman and is loyal to the blues of Merseyside.

Ancellotti: Im just surprised this guy is even a potential option to be honest. Im sure there's massive interest in Italy for this guy, but it appears he wants to stay in England and with Fergie and Wenger going nowhere, Liverpool revitilised under Kenny and 'Arry 'im a dodgy word removed' Redknapp only willing to leave Spurs for the England job, who else could he join? Man City? Possibly...and almost definitely in my book if City failed to clinch CL football as there's no doubt that Manchini would have been shown the door. So perhaps if he does want to stay in England then we are arguably a favorable team - he has spken highly of us before games before and we are a team that he has not beaten last season and showed tremendous fight against Chelsea at their place - so he may, and I repeat may think about it. Unfortunately I think his agent will be demanding masses of money for this guy which may sway things the other way if RL sees Hughes, Moyes etc as more of a bargain. My only concern with Ancellotti would be that he wouldn't be here for the long game, a couple of years to a few years at best - thats how these Italians role. However he seems to have an excellent resume and a CV that can boast great success - didnt he lead Palma to a CL/European Cup win previously? (could be wrong on the specifics of that mind..) and there's no doubt it would be a statement of intent to bring Ancellotti in. Who in avfc wouldn't get excited seeing the silver fox and the master of eyebrows Ancellotti wearing a villa tie at a press conference after being unvelied as our new boss? I think he's more likely to come than Moyes, but less likely than Hughes to be appointed. On a side note, I feel the appointment of Ancelotti would probably bring about one of the finest coaches in the country in Ray Wilkins. Love everything about this guy, he speaks pure sense and seems to drive this through his team and you could see how Chelsea had failed dramatically without him. They may well have got the league if they kept RW on. He, I fell would be equally as important a signing as Ancellotti.

Hughes: Mr. Angry. There's no denying this guy is decorate in medals from his playing career, but his managerial record hasn't been so glowing...yet. I like the guy, he has sincere passion on the pitch and kicks every ball that his team does. He was shafted at Man City, no doubt about it and his tenure there was always going to be shortened when the tea towel wearing moneybags clan who took over joined the club. He was always up against it at City. He built a very strong team at Blackburn and made them extremely hard to beat especially at home. His signing s havn't been too bad, although he has just brought in Sidwell to Fulham (who has scored a couple of times I may add...still a ranga though). He brought Kompany and De Jong to city I believe and Samba at Blackburn. Id be extremley happy if he brought Samba and Hangeland to us should he arrive at P. I like this guy and feel he will have a big job on his hands - but much like Moyes I think Sparky H wants a team he can build and gain some longevity with. And that is what we should be aspiring to achieve with our managers. Id welcome this guy to our club and as far as I know he hasnt renewed his one year rolling contract at Fulham so the chance to take the position at Villa should appeal to him. We have a solid team with some great talent. We need to keep the youngsters coming through and bring in some genuine talent to make us a force once again.

Other options:

Steve McLaren: would be worth getting him in purely to hear him attempt a Brummie accent...but seriously, no thanks. Close the door behind you, and take your umbrella with you.

jesus, im getting quite excited with this ancelotti talk - and if it's not huges, then who is back up going to be? I need to mentally prepare for the disappointment of not getting Carlo - and i am somone who wondered about the "fit" of someone like ancelotti to us!

Get Carlo & Wilkins

The thing with Wilkins at Chelsea is he was an ex player and had been at the club for a long time and had an affiliation to the club ... in that regard IF we went the Ancelotti route we'd be better with Cowans or Kev Mc as his number 2

Don't we always do this though? Human nature I suppose but all this talk of Carlo means that when it's not him, we're going to be disappointed with whoever it is. If Moses came to my house, I'd be well excited but if I was expecting Jesus, it'd probably feel like a let-down.

I'm still hoping that against all the odds, it is Ancelotti but I do hope that if it turns out to be someone else, we won't slam the board for not being ambitious enough. Unless, of course, that someone else is Shteeeve.