dudevillaisnice

Ordinarily AG I would agree.. I don't think a cup run, especially against good opposition of the EL, is anything but great for morale.. but when your squad is already stretched, it could potentially upset your PL form. You can't expect players to come back from a tough game in Romania on the Thursday and then play on the Saturday and be at 100%.

Don't think us Villa fans are happy about our exit from the EL, by the way. We certainly not doing a Wenger and saying 'well, no-one cares about that anyway'... but we're taking the positives that without the tricky away games we can push for that 4th spot, which is more up for grabs this year than ever before I think, with Liverpool slipping and Arsenal now without RVP.

Wish you all the best in Europe, of course, but I certainly wouldn't mind you getting a couple of nice tricky games in a far away cold part of the continent.. :P

I think you missed my point AG, I'm not knocking the value of the competition I'm saying that in your current situation if an Everton fan I think I would perhaps have welcomed not going through for the reasons I already stated.

I would in your circumstances rather rest some players in an already stretched squad and avoid further injuries rather than continue in a competition you are highly unlikely to win.

Sure players are attracted by playing in it and sure I'd love to see Villa win it or go close to winning it, I'm just not sure I would sacrifice our league form or position in doing so.

I think you missed my point AG, I'm not knocking the value of the competition I'm saying that in your current situation if an Everton fan I think I would perhaps have welcomed not going through for the reasons I already stated.

I would in your circumstances rather rest some players in an already stretched squad and avoid further injuries rather than continue in a competition you are highly unlikely to win.

Sure players are attracted by playing in it and sure I'd love to see Villa win it or go close to winning it, I'm just not sure I would sacrifice our league form or position in doing so.

Well, let me put it like this, I'd happily finish 10th this season to win the Europa League, ok?

no, I ain't blonde, but I might as well be sometimes :oops:

Well, let me put it like this, I'd happily finish 10th this season to win the Europa League, ok?

no, I ain't blonde, but I might as well be sometimes :oops:

:cool:

AG sees it as light hearted - good to see the difference in reaction to taking the piss of a 39 year old MALE spurs fan and a 20 year old FEMALE everton fan on an internet forum.

reminds me of a scene in futurama when they go to a chatroom on the 'internet' ;)

to be honest, if any club finishes outside of the top 4 and relegation zone, i think they'd rather win a trophy and finish lower, than win nothing and finish higher.

what do villa fans remember more from our 96 season? was it the coca cola cup win, or the fa cup semi final, or the 4th placed finish? personally - CCC win. Obviously that was when you finished top 2 (I believe) to get to CL?

Trophy win is far better than a better than average (but still, not spectacular) league finish.

:cool:

AG sees it as light hearted - good to see the difference in reaction to taking the piss of a 39 year old MALE spurs fan and a 20 year old FEMALE everton fan on an internet forum.

reminds me of a scene in futurama when they go to a chatroom on the 'internet' ;)

The reaction may have been slightly different in real life... :lol: :winkold:

to be honest, if any club finishes outside of the top 4 and relegation zone, i think they'd rather win a trophy and finish lower, than win nothing and finish higher.

what do villa fans remember more from our 96 season? was it the coca cola cup win, or the fa cup semi final, or the 4th placed finish? personally - CCC win. Obviously that was when you finished top 2 (I believe) to get to CL?

Trophy win is far better than a better than average (but still, not spectacular) league finish.

I agree... finishing 10th and winning the FA Cup would be better than finishing 6th. But the big prize is finishing 1st-4th, and you can't really do that AND win a trophy without real squad depth.

This is the dilemma Martin O'Neill faced when he kicked in our EL competition last year.. it's a case of putting all your eggs in one basket, and his basket broke.

exactly - 1-4 is the big, big prize (provided of course you win the playoff when you've finished 4th - group stages is where its at)

after that, provided not relegated, winning trophy >>>>>>>>> everything else.

everything you win gets you into the EL anyway so why settle for a league finish? :)

Yet league finish clearly is important.. prize money aside, it gives us fans bragging rights over fans of other clubs... and how many times do we have to bring out the 'look how many times Villa have finished above Spurs in the PL' card...

So, I guess the question is, how many positions (5th - 17th) is a League Cup worth? And an FA Cup?

Would you sacrifice, say, 7 league positions, to get to the semi-final of the EL?

Would you rather win the EL and escape relegation on the last day of the season, or finish 5th?

Actually, scratch that last one, that'd be an amazing finish to the season! :D

Yet league finish clearly is important.. prize money aside, it gives us fans bragging rights over fans of other clubs... and how many times do we have to bring out the 'look how many times Villa have finished above Spurs in the PL' card...

So, I guess the question is, how many positions (5th - 17th) is a League Cup worth? And an FA Cup?

Would you sacrifice, say, 7 league positions, to get to the semi-final of the EL?

Would you rather win the EL and escape relegation on the last day of the season, or finish 5th?

Actually, scratch that last one, that'd be an amazing finish to the season! :D

Aren't trophies bragging rights over other fans too?

"Whilst you were busy finishing 2 places above us in 8th, we was winning the Europa League"

I know what I'd prefer...

On the other points you make, well, it's entirely upto what an individual sees as satisfactory...

"Whilst you were busy finishing 2 places above us in 8th, we was winning the Europa League"

'Whilst you were busy finishing 12 places above us in 5th, we won the Carling Cup!'... doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it? :P

'Whilst you were busy finishing 12 places above us in 5th, we won the Carling Cup!'... doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it? :P

No, but as I said, it depends what you determine as satisfactory...?

Â