dudevillaisnice

On the subject of Jo I think he is woeful. Shame that Everton have to keep playing him because of other strikers who aren't fit. A fit Yakubu and Saha would be a very good partnership, but sadly it won't happen too often because of injuries. Arteta and Jagielka will be a huge bonus to Everton when fit again, I can see them climbing up the league again if they can get players back but not to the heights of last season.

I have no doubt Everton will recover and will be top 8 come the end of the season, last season should have taught us that. They have a squad of players who have been consistent over 40 odd games in the last 4 or so seasons, thats important come March onwards.

Out of all the youngsters breaking through at Arsenal, West Ham, ourselves.......... I believe Rodwell has the best chance of success. For his age he looks very steady, when he has a good game he can be the main man on the pitch, even at his age.

By the way. I thought the referee for today's game was excellent. It could have been a very difficult game with lots of stoppages, but even though the tempo was high and tackles were fierce, he managed to keep the game flowing.. was even to both teams and got all the key decisions right..

Just saying this because it's not very often you get a chance to praise a referee these days.

Ref was crap, as usual, gave us fook all, whilst giving them free kicks for similar challenges that were made on us but went unpunished. I ain't even arsed about refs anymore, same old, same old it is.

You two fallen out or something

:winkold:

Seems to have gone under the radar what with the League Cup but Everton playing this evening and heading through in Uefa Cup but at a cost, 3 injures apparantly. I would imagine Moyes will be perhaps wishing they weren't in the competition given their current league standing.

Seems to have gone under the radar what with the League Cup but Everton playing this evening and heading through in Uefa Cup but at a cost, 3 injures apparantly. I would imagine Moyes will be perhaps wishing they weren't in the competition given their current league standing.

Plenty of Everton fans at work laughed at my mere suggestion that the Europa League was a con designed to keep the second tier clubs at a level below the CL clubs, to enhance the current status quo as it were. I was apparently talking out of my arse and only saying it because we weren't in the competition and despite me pointing out that we were only going to play the kids if we had qualified they didn't believe me at all. Even if they win it they'll only get 6mil which is probably less than they'll lose from their fall down the league positions, What is it for a league place again?

19 extra games with a small squad for £6 mil

Drop 6 places in the league and you've kissed the £6mil prize money away and played an extra half a season

Some of those people in work are very quiet now, its beginning to sink in

Plenty of Everton fans at work laughed at my mere suggestion that the Europa League was a con designed to keep the second tier clubs at a level below the CL clubs, to enhance the current status quo as it were. I was apparently talking out of my arse and only saying it because we weren't in the competition and despite me pointing out that we were only going to play the kids if we had qualified they didn't believe me at all. Even if they win it they'll only get 6mil which is probably less than they'll lose from their fall down the league positions, What is it for a league place again?

Drop 6 places in the league and you've kissed the £6mil prize money away and played an extra half a season

:lol:

What a shit tournament it is anyway...nobody remembers the winner except the winner.....

I'd gladly bow out of Europa League to focus on the league and cup runs every year.

I agree with you in principle Bicks, I've said many times before that the current CL & UEFA cup format is European super league in all but name made up of two divisions. Yet some how the powers that be (I'm not sure that is UEFA anymore due to the increasing power of the top clubs) they have enginereed it so that those who drop out the CL are 'relegated' to the UEFA but also made it even harder for those in the 2nd tier to get promoted.

There is little doubt in my mind that the being in the UEFA cup seriously harms your ability or the ability of a lot of clubs to perform consistantly. I think this season Spurs and Man City have already seen the benefit of not being in it, we will see the benefit of going out while Everton and Fulham are both suffering from being in it.

I do though think if you can actually win the UEFA cup then it is worth while having a below par domestic season, a trophy is a trophy after all. I can understand why Everton fans think its sour grapes on our part but given we are in a domestic cup semi final in a competition we've not taken seriously for two years because of the UEFA cup I'm actually very happy.

I'd be interested to hear AG's view on this as from an outsider looking in I think as an Everton fan I'd have been hoping we'd gone out last night.

Arteta and Jagielka will be a huge bonus to Everton when fit again

These are the two reasons why I think Everton will still be up there. Take these two players away and Everton will always strugge imo

Arteta is a huge loss without question but as an outsider looking in I'd say the loss of Jagielka has been the bigger of the blows to their season as its the defensive solidity on which their game has been based which has been lost.

I think Jagielka is a far bigger loss than Arteta or Lescott and when he returns if he can find the form he was in prior to his injury he will have a big impact on their season although it was a bad injury.

By the way. I thought the referee for today's game was excellent. It could have been a very difficult game with lots of stoppages, but even though the tempo was high and tackles were fierce, he managed to keep the game flowing.. was even to both teams and got all the key decisions right..

Just saying this because it's not very often you get a chance to praise a referee these days.

Ref was crap, as usual, gave us fook all, whilst giving them free kicks for similar challenges that were made on us but went unpunished. I ain't even arsed about refs anymore, same old, same old it is.

You two fallen out or something

:winkold:

Not at all. We're as much in love today as we were the moment our eyes first met across the crowded lynch mob.

Congrats to Everton on reaching the last 32. Was delighted to see them through. With their small squad, the more European away games they have the better.

Well, it's not really worked then has it? There's a lot of different teams in the Champions League this season than normal, no?A lot of big named teams in the EL? Well there ya go. I do agree in some respects, but let's be honest here, there is more money in it than it was as the Uefa cup....

The Uefa Cup has always been around, everyone knows it is a 2nd tier competition to the CL, it's not like it is anything new, but what is the point in working ALL year round for something and then throwing it away so easily and not giving a crap about it. It is bad for team morale, and actually often ruins your form in the league getting knocked out. I can't see how you are blaming the EL for us being crap in the league, how about we are just being crap in the league? How do you know it is directly related to us being in the EL? The other year, when we were in the Uefa Cup and went on a great run, it did wonders for our league form and actually helped to be playing games so regularly, our players preferred it(which they admitted)! When on a good run they were still on a high from the previous game and so carried it on, and when they lost, they had a game so soon after it as not leaving them time to reflect on the loss. We got to the Carling Cup semi's that year, as well as within a penalty shootout of the last 16 of the EL, oh yeah, and we finished 5th. I'm not buying into this damaging your league form, it's just an excuse for me.

For clubs like us, who ain't won stuff for a while, every competition is a chance of winning a trophy. It's also providing valuable experience to our players, only a few of which have played in the CL before, should we ever qualify for it. Oh yeah, and it IS an attractive proposition for players coming in.

I dunno about you but European nights, whether they are EL or CL, are a little bit different...It's great to play against new teams, big clubs from other countries – Fiorentina, Benfica, etc. I love it. I don't give a crap whether people see it as second rate, for me, it's an opportunity to win a trophy, a european trophy. For many teams, scratch that, most teams, it is a VERY realistic chance of winning a European trophy. Same can't be said for the beloved CL...

The thing UEFA need to do, if they want to really recognise the EL as a big competition and give it more credibility for doubters, as they say, is they need to put the winners in the CL.

Just comparing this like but, yous will all be buzzin, over the moon, etc., if yous won the Carling Cup. Well EL is Carling Cup as opposed to CL is FA Cup, only European level. Your not gonna go up after you've won the Carling Cup and go “Oh no sorry, don't really want this, it's a pile of crap and doesn't mean anything, it's no FA Cup”, are you fook!

I don't care what yous think, I'm gonna enjoy my european trips for as long as they last (Next round is mid Feb – plenty of time to get new players in/injured players back). Fook your CC semi's, your Wembley, your domestic finals, been there and done it ;)

Winning the EL would be the happiest day of my 20 years.

Apologies if this sounds like a rant, I probably don't even realise half of what I've written, very tired, only just got back.

Â