Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

What kind of reception did he get at Wigan? Did he act like it was his last game?

I know Benteke is better but I can't help but feel that Bent has been royally screwed over here. My only gripe with Lambert is the way he dealt with the Bent situation. To give him the captaincy and then strip him of it for no reason (other than the fact that he probably didn't realise how ready Benteke was for the PL) was crazy. From what I can tell Bent seems like a really good guy. And for all his critics you simply cannot argue with his record.

Personally I'll be very sad to see him go.

I think he's a victim of the manager merry-go-round that has been Villa Park over his time here.

Signed by Houllier with delivery coming from Young and Downing, he was exactly what we needed - a "fox in the box" that could put away the opportunities. That changed when Young and Downing left and McLeish played anti-football and changed again with Lambert's more "work for the team" ethic, meaning he had to create as much as he received.

Good player and, in the right system, a prolific one. We didn't make the best use of him over the last 2 years, but I think a move away is the best thing for him and us.

You know its funny. Lambert keeps on talking about Bent & Benteke not playing well together which was true for Southampton.  But they did and very well  together for half the Swansea game of Bentekes debut. Bent even set him up for his goal.

Seems weird we cant just keep him and have 4 high quality forwards competing for places.

You know its funny. Lambert keeps on talking about Bent & Benteke not playing well together which was true for Southampton.  But they did and very well  together for half the Swansea game of Bentekes debut. Bent even set him up for his goal.

Seems weird we cant just keep him and have 4 high quality forwards competing for places.

Competing for places is not what Bent wants to do at 28 years of age - he wants regular football. A fit Benteke would always get the nod over Bent. It's not a tenable situation.

Sorry, am I losing my mental grip here?

1. We should keep him if he agrees to cut his wages to £25k

2. No-one else will take him at £80k (if that's what he's really on)

3. Er... doesn't that mean we get to keep him at £80k?

Who else will pick up his £80k a week ???

Probably a fair amount of clubs abroad, from Russia, to the Ukraine ending up in Turkey. Don't know what he will pick up in England, but given that his transfer fee will be pretty low I guess that will make his wages easier to handle for a club like Everton, Newcastle or another club. Darren Bent equals goals and most teams would spend the highest proportions on their strikers, especially if they have a good midfield and lack goals. Imagine Everton last season with Darren Bent on top, that would have taken them into concideration for top 4 IMO. They have a decent striker in Mirallas, but he is no goalscorer.

To be fair on Bent, I think his reputation of being motivated only by money is false. He has behaved very well this season when he has had plenty of opportunities to take out a grudge on the manager and the club. When he scored on Sunday he didn't do what many others would do, kind of gesturing "why am I on the bench?" sort of stuff. When Bent comes on the pitch people love to say that Bent was crap for 90 minutes, even though scoring a goal. If Gabby or Weimann plays badly for 6 straight games nothing is being said really, the only difference is that Bent was seldom given a stretch of games to get into fitness.

I think he will be sold, and I think we will regret it next season. People talk about the system and how he does not fit in. Well, I think that is a weak argument seeing us score very few, letting in many and creating few chances. We are extremely bad at creating chances when we have the ball in control in the other team's half, we kind of created some momentum the last few months when we went for the old "pace and counter"-routine, but that is also a system that will never give you anything against the top 10 teams over time. Take out Gabby and Weimann and we are screwed basically, as well as leaving enormous amount of room for the other team to counter us the other way.

The system, whatever it was, was a problem last season. Not Darren Bent. Besides, we changed tactics several times last season because nothing worked. Again, it kind of shows that you play to the strength of your players - not trying to fit them into roles they cannot perform.

Bent even set him up for his goal.

I thought Ashley Williams set him up.

Bent knocked it on first then WIlliams under pressure did his crazyness I think? But anyways they played well together I thought.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

A knock on followed by a defensive howler hardly warrants high enough praise to keep him in the team. He has not been royally screwed over. He has not been good enough to get in the team and when he has come on he certainly has not shown enough (don't think he has influenced one game positively since West Brom at home). He clearly was not showing Lambert enough in training. Hes not going to think, Oh Ive got Darren Bent, hes good but il screw him over for the sake of it.

Darren bent has not shown enough for well over a year now. I really don't understand how anybody can see it differently.

Il take a fully committed Jordan Bowery over a half arsed Darren Bent any day of the week. 

Â