James Collins

AngelGabriel

Please, no Scott Dann, and no Roger Johnson either. I can honestly see us being lumbered with them two if Dunne and Collins leave in the summer.

In an ideal world we'd keep Cuellar, get rid of Dunne and Collins and go out and buy a decent centre-back who's not just a clogger. Unfortunately I can't see us keeping Cuellar, selling both Dunne and Collins or buying a decent centre-back.

As for Collins, Ive never been a fan. Seems to be a Championship quality defender at best

You say that, then go on to suggest Championship defenders to replace him :?.

I only suggested Championship defenders to replace him as a) which decent Premiership defenders would come here, and B) they've got more potential to be better than he is.

To be honest, we should just give Cuellar a new contract, but that doesn't seem like it's going to be happening at all.

As for next season, probably depends what league we're in as to who we'll be looking at.

• 4 weeks later...
Please, no Scott Dann, and no Roger Johnson either

Both been dreadful this season playing apart at different clubs, even though they were actually a very decent pairing at the heart of SHA's defence under McLeish.

However if reports are even half true... I don't think there is anyway we'll be signing Mr Johnson. Might as well keep the CDs we already have!

• 2 months later...

Aston Villa hope to offload James Collins to Sunderland when they bring in fellow defender Ron Vlaar.

Villa are closing in on the signature of Feyenoord centre-back Vlaar, but while the 27-year-old has a buy-out clause, new boss Paul Lambert still has to balance the books.

Collins, 28, is ripe for being moved on because he has just 12 months left on his contract.

The Wales stopper was signed for Villa by then-boss Martin O'Neill, who is now in charge at Sunderland and remains a big fan of Collins.

Villa now hope to do a deal with the Black Cats - who have already snapped up centre-half Carlos Cuellar on a Bosman this summer following the expiration of his Villa contract - for the Welshman.

However, the acrimonious nature of O'Neill's exit from Villa two years ago means his former employers are likely to drive a hard bargain.

Here

Looks like the monkeys have been let loose on the keyboards again over at The Mirror as this just looks like a load of guess work based on the arrival or potential arrival of Vlaar.

Anyway if true I for one won't miss him.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as experienced cover, as he kinda gets a bad rap here. But Vlaar in - Collins out, with minimal net spend is excellent business.

Agreed we need experience cover.

Who would you rather rid of? Collins or Dunne?

If your only going to use one of them as cover, then i would rather keep Colins and ship out Dunne. Collins is younger, on less wages and in my opinion on his day as good if not slightly better than Dunne.

Ive just completely contradicted my previous post havnt i? :lol:

We need to keep one of Dunne or Collins IMHO. We need to have at least one tough experienced defender. I still have nightmares about Carroll destroying Clark in that 6-1 win.

We need to keep one of Dunne or Collins IMHO. We need to have at least one tough experienced defender. I still have nightmares about Carroll destroying Clark in that 6-1 win.

I still have nightmares about Carew's woeful penalty. Wonder if it's still in orbit...

Nobody is going to take Dunne off our hands at his age, with his wages and 12 months left on his contract and I doubt very much he would be willing to go. He will be here another year, leave on a free and probably go to the US to play for a couple of years.

Collins on the other hand is more likely to be willing to move and far more likely to be of interest to other clubs due to his age and wages.

I would love to see them both go but it won't happen and as others have said we should probably keep one so for the reasons above I think that was always going to be Dunne.

Besides all this it's Collins who appears to e the one who strikes me as being more problematic in terms of his behaviour.

Oh and if O'Neill does want him we should make him wait until the end of August and he is willing to spend silly money to get him :)

Knowing MON's speed of signings, it'll be him keeping us waiting until late August, even if no-one else is in for him, and we want to sell.

Then he'll swoop for him at an inflated price, hours before the deadline. :lol: :winkold:

Â