Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad news is that Gary McAllister has, according to Timothy Abraham, NOT left the club.

Doesn't that usually happen when a new manager is in place and chooses their own backroom staff. You don't expect him to have the morals to walk himself?

Well usually the staff the manager hired leave the club when the manager does.

It would be different if McAllister was at the club before Houllier so I just find that weird. It's not like there's any training to take charge off.

I think it's a shame Ged's gone.

I think our goal has to be CL qualification and though we have a lot of money, we can't buy it like C£ty. Thus I think we need to be bold with our decision on who to appoint as manager.

Assuming we don't go with a DoF model we need a manager with the following qualities:

1. Strength in transfer market – have a global view with strong contacts. Able to pick out promising youth players and have the gravitas and reputation to attract upcoming and established stars. Able to buy good value players from Europe & beyond so we don't have to rely on overpriced UK based players. Trading players can provide valuable revenue – see Arsenal and Spurs

2. Build ‘bottom up’ – instil a club wide football philosophy and promote youth development

3.Implement technical style of football, based primarily on skill and possession (but also pragmatic due to the physical nature of the Prem). Hoofball might get us to 6th but not int into CL spots. Football is also a commodity and attractive football will win praise, fans and hopefully revenue

IMHO that rules out the likes of Huges and Moyes - I think they'll hit the PL glass ceiling.

I think we need to go for the likes of Ancelotti or Benitez (possibly van Gaal)

Let's be bold and take a risk and get someone with gravitas who at least gives us a chance to get to the CL spaces; it will be more exciting than the alternative

I think it's a shame Ged's gone.

I think our goal has to be CL qualification and though we have a lot of money, we can't buy it like C£ty. Thus I think we need to be bold with our decision on who to appoint as manager.

Assuming we don't go with a DoF model we need a manager with the following qualities:

1. Strength in transfer market – have a global view with strong contacts. Able to pick out promising youth players and have the gravitas and reputation to attract upcoming and established stars. Able to buy good value players from Europe & beyond so we don't have to rely on overpriced UK based players. Trading players can provide valuable revenue – see Arsenal and Spurs

2. Build ‘bottom up’ – instil a club wide football philosophy and promote youth development

3.Implement technical style of football, based primarily on skill and possession (but also pragmatic due to the physical nature of the Prem). Hoofball might get us to 6th but not int into CL spots. Football is also a commodity and attractive football will win praise, fans and hopefully revenue

IMHO that rules out the likes of Huges and Moyes - I think they'll hit the PL glass ceiling.

I think we need to go for the likes of Ancelotti or Benitez (possibly van Gaal)

Let's be bold and take a risk and get someone with gravitas who at least gives us a chance to get to the CL spaces; it will be more exciting than the alternative

Well said, although I think the 'Stability' Police might get you!!

Lock this thread and start a new one minus Houllier options and Allardyce.

New candidates:

Hughes, Moyes, Jol, Benitez, Ancelloti, Lambert, Coyle, McAllister (there is always the risk!) and McLaren.

If Deschamps would be interested, I would be over the moon with him as manager.

Proven himself at all the clubs he's been at and got connections to get players above our reach.

Proven himself at all the clubs he's been at and got connections to get players above our reach.

Well I hear he wants to leave Marseille.. Just hope Enrique gets the Roma job and it leaves the path clear for us to get him...Thats if the board are ambitious enough..

Well I hear he wants to leave Marseille.. Just hope Enrique gets the Roma job and it leaves the path clear for us to get him...Thats if the board are ambitious enough..

I have a similar man crush on Beckham but I really am struggling to see the allure of Deschamps but each hetro to his own.