Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion I think we would have had a poor season like this even with MON in charge. There's a reason he walked and this season was it. He got out at the right time to save his CV.

No **** way would we have been flirting with relegation if MON has stayed. Not a chance. He may have left in part to save his CV, but whilst we may have gone backwards, I very much doubt we'd have even dropped out of the top half.

This. We are now on 42 points which would equal our worst points total in a 38 game Prem season with Arsenal and Liverpool to play. Last season we achieved our best ever points total in a 38 game Prem season. We lost Milner, gained Ireland, Bent and Makoun. No way should the drop be so drastic.

We will never know but you cannot guarantee we would not be flirting with relegation under a manager who left an evident sinking ship to save his CV.

The majority of the trouble behind the scenes that has gone on this season was happening in pre-season and even towards the end of last season so some of the hate towards Houllier is a little unnecessary as I think some of you will find it was your favourite manager ever MON who caused quite a bit of it. Players hated him. Staff hated him. He was very much a short term manager who was never going to last longer than five years at the club - he would purchase players who were the wrong side of 30, or approaching 30, and barely plan for the future. And now look what we've been left with - just to name a few a 40 year old goalkeeper, a clueless CB who is more interested in pies and pints and a bunch of over paid average players on 40k+ a week resulting in 80% of our turnover going out on wages.

At least some of the troublemakers are out of the club now.

I'm not one of the Houllier haters but it just seems that you are determined to defend him in anyway possible and to blame this mess on MON is absurd.

MON left us at a bad time but we have to accept that the appointment of Houllier was a mistake.

In my opinion I think we would have had a poor season like this even with MON in charge. There's a reason he walked and this season was it. He got out at the right time to save his CV.

No **** way would we have been flirting with relegation if MON has stayed. Not a chance. He may have left in part to save his CV, but whilst we may have gone backwards, I very much doubt we'd have even dropped out of the top half.

This. We are now on 42 points which would equal our worst points total in a 38 game Prem season with Arsenal and Liverpool to play. Last season we achieved our best ever points total in a 38 game Prem season. We lost Milner, gained Ireland, Bent and Makoun. No way should the drop be so drastic.

We will never know but you cannot guarantee we would not be flirting with relegation under a manager who left an evident sinking ship to save his CV.

The majority of the trouble behind the scenes that has gone on this season was happening in pre-season and even towards the end of last season so some of the hate towards Houllier is a little unnecessary as I think some of you will find it was your favourite manager ever MON who caused quite a bit of it. Players hated him. Staff hated him. He was very much a short term manager who was never going to last longer than five years at the club - he would purchase players who were the wrong side of 30, or approaching 30, and barely plan for the future. And now look what we've been left with - just to name a few a 40 year old goalkeeper, a clueless CB who is more interested in pies and pints and a bunch of over paid average players on 40k+ a week resulting in 80% of our turnover going out on wages.

I'm not one of the Houllier haters but it just seems that you are determined to defend him in anyway possible and to blame this mess on MON is absurd.

MON left us at a bad time but we have to accept that the appointment of Houllier was a mistake.

Yes appointment a mistake.

and if you believe what you read - he will be here to cause further havoc on our team next season.

what the f*ck is Randy thinking of.

I guess i focus on the positives but MON improved us every year. i dont see why that would change. We were never impacted by injuries in the same way under him, no one really knows if this was due to a change in routine or not. I think he'd have got more out of Ireland, would necessarily have stuck with Young in the hole and we wouldnt have been leaking the same amount of goals. MONs team were nearly always set up well defensively, and always pumped up for the derbys. Areas weve struggled with this year.

I'm honestly not defending Houllier at all, we've had a terrible season - one of my worst following the club and I've had a season ticket since 1997. Houllier was probably the wrong appointment to make given the circumstances, he would have been better if there were no problems going on behind the scenes. I'm simply saying no matter who the manager was I believe this season would have been the same as the majority of players were on a backlash as it is. They knew MON would leave but none of them expected it to happen so abruptly when it did.

This. We are now on 42 points which would equal our worst points total in a 38 game Prem season with Arsenal and Liverpool to play. Last season we achieved our best ever points total in a 38 game Prem season.

I feel as though I've read this before.

Oh wait..

I wouldnt be surprised if we had this under MON, wasn't it Warnock, Friedel, NRC, L.Young,Cuellar and then the layabouts like Beye, Davies and Sidwell

who were said to not want to ever play for MON again? I forget who said it now I think it was MM a few weeks back that a load of player (I think it was those above) who didnt want to play for MON again.

And even though this was the case and that players hated him, he still refused to lower the wage bill and move on the ageing players and overpaid reserves. We had to lower the wage bill and we now have.

At the end of the season our wage bill could well be around £45m *almost halved since start of last season *. And while we will have a massive gap in our squad, to be honest its only really the older, overpaid and shit players we will be losing [bar the Youngs and NRC]. We were always going to have to do a major rebuild, just unfortunately its going to have to be done all in one summer.

That doesn't mean Houllier was a great appointment it just means getting rid of MON was a good thing for the club. Yes Houllier has been a bit of a train wreck and we should maybe be looking elsewhere. But we have to ask whether the realistic appointments we could make will just be MON 2.0 or whether they can take us forward further.

(Yes i understand we'd kill to be top 6 right now, but taking on a manager who can only get top 6 again is just pointless, we need somebody who can build us to a top 6 for the next couple of seasons and then start to break the glass ceiling when the big spenders can no longer spend come the 13/14 season.)

This. We are now on 42 points which would equal our worst points total in a 38 game Prem season with Arsenal and Liverpool to play. Last season we achieved our best ever points total in a 38 game Prem season.

I feel as though I've read this before.

Oh wait..

:D

we need someone who is fresh and new not rafa he will be houllier mk2. there needs to be a buzz around villa park again for the next season that will not happen with the management now. david moyes will do that he will motivate the players, get the right players in and the right ones going out,also knows how to build a good scouting network like he has at everton and he has age on his side to build a bright future at AVFC.

RANDY PAY WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET DAVID MOYES IN!!!!!!!!!

MOYES MOYES MOYES MOYES!!!!!!!!!!

Agree. He is the only candidate for me. I think the time is right for him too. He's done all he can at Everton and hasn't hidden his frustration at not getting the financial backing he would like. In many respects it would appear to be a sideways move for him with Villa and Everton being of similar standing. However, with the support given to Houllier in January to the tune of nearly 30m then I believe this would persuade him that we have sufficient financial clout to battle on the fringes of a champions' league place.

I wouldn't be happy with Benitez. Like O'Leary and to a lesser extent, Houllier, I just don't like him.

MON new he was going to have serious problems without buying new players. I believe though the budget he wanted was insane. He wanted to do what Houllier needs to do this summer, but becasue he refused to drop the wage bill and restructure, he walked. How very professional. Ohh and he would never have bought the likes of Bent, he already had his favourites!

Mon to give us top half of the table this season without spending and changing the team, speculation I know, but I doubt he would have happened.

David Moyes all day long for me .... after watching another turgid performance by our players I watched Evertons game against Citeh and that encapsulates exactly what I want from my Villa team .... City were all over em 1st half and it took a half time rollicking from Moyes and a tactical switch in players positions & Everton steamed into em 2nd half & got their rewards ... Will Everton challenge for a Champs league spot again ? No probably not - but do Everton - under Moyes send there fans home with a smile on their faces most weeks ... hell yeah !

Forget about the Champs league - its hallowed land that we're not destined (or set up) for ! Lets get a manager in and let him mould his own team of players who will give their all for the Aston Villa cause .

left an evident sinking ship to save his CV.

Cup final, cup semi final, challenge for 4th till the 37th game of the season, highest points total in a 38 game premiership season.

That's a sinking ship?

My god, one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here.

I think he meant the aging Heskey, Petrov, etc and the likes of Carew well over their peaks, the likes of Beye, NRC, Heskey, Osbourne, Dunne etc all cluttering up the wage bill with wages disproportionate to their ability. As well as at least another 60m spent over the next few years to rectify this.

Cup final, cup semi final, challenge for 4th till the 37th game of the season, highest points total in a 38 game premiership season.

That's a sinking ship?

Everything looks pretty on paper doesn't it but of course you of all people would think that, how about you have a think about what was going on off the pitch before you make such a ridiculous response. Face it ffs this season was always going to happen and anyone who doesn't think so is still in love with MON or seriously hates Houllier.

That's a sinking ship?

Everything looks pretty on paper doesn't it but of course you of all people would think that, how about you have a think about what was going on off the pitch before you make such a ridiculous response. Face it ffs this season was always going to happen and anyone who doesn't think so is still in love with MON or seriously hates Houllier.

Dont care what was happening off the pitch or how much the players supposingly hated MON, the fact was that on the pitch we were doing the business, and now we are far from it. I think is safe to say his year under MON ould have seen us gone backwards, but not as far as being in the bottom 10

That's a sinking ship?

Dont care what was happening off the pitch or how much the players supposingly hated MON, the fact was that on the pitch we were doing the business, and now we are far from it. I think is safe to say his year under MON ould have seen us gone backwards, but not as far as being in the bottom 10

I seriously doubt he would have kept us in the top ten this year. Maybe not as worse but we were always going to have a poor season by our standards. He would rather have left when he took us to 6th instead of leaving when he lead us to 12th. Oh and remember under MON we wouldn't have signed Bent so we may have been considerably worse off.

:lol:

You can come up with all the rumours or inside gossip you like, its an absolute joke to describe us as a sinking ship after our best season in years.

:lol:

You can come up with all the rumours or inside gossip you like, its an absolute joke to describe us as a sinking ship after our best season in years.

I never said last season was a sinking ship I said he was leaving a sinking ship and guess what we've sunk.