Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments from Benitez

“My mentality is now like a manager.

“I like the responsibility to decide the ambition of a club – the plan, the academy and the young players, all of these things together. I have experience now and can do well – especially with staff who know the Premier League.”

It seems like he wants the autonomy Randy gives to his managers.

Do any of you actually think he will change anything though? I hear houllier is already chasing targets which sounds to me like he plans to be here next year. I really hope randy cuts his losses with houllier and gary mac for ruining our club which was on the up and dragging us back into the o'leary days.

I guess ticket sales will have a lot to do with it. If there is "meh" attitude from the fans over the summer and season ticket sales aren't up to scratch then I guess Randy wouldn't be left with much choice..

I guess ticket sales will have a lot to do with it. If there is "meh" attitude from the fans over the summer and season ticket sales aren't up to scratch then I guess Randy wouldn't be left with much choice..

That's a fair point but I think it's too late by that point. We cannot have the same mess as we had last summer. Buying players and then sacking GH will lead to more problems with Managers coming in and not wanting someone elses players. It has to be done after the last game of the season.

The club will need to buy well to capture the imagination of the fans. "Bums on seats" because we have class players to watch, some ambition to look towards. It costs me around £100 a time to bring my 12 year old up from South Northants every game. I'll find the money if the club makes it worth paying. At the currrent time, I am still attending games but it's shit to watch and the matchday experience it poor.

ST's will be down whichever way you look at it. Thats just down to financial issues, economy and the prem charging extortionate rates.

An exciting new, young manager would alleviate it somewhat but a firm decision needs to be made quickly.

NB This season ticket holder does not want Europa league Thursday nights, Sunday prem games.

Actually in the multi million pound prem league - season tickets @ £500 a go - doesn't actually make that much difference. the difference between 20,000 sales and 30,000 sales - isn't a lot really

From what's been said about Houllier's condition, I would guess that his managerial days are over. The way the season has gone, I am not sure that a change of manager is a bad thing for us anyway. I just hope they get rid of his number two as well though, as he does not strike me as the type of man who can help us out at the Villa.

I wouldn't mind us getting Moyes in to manage the team with GH moving upstairs into a Director of Football role. That should help us attract some quality players that Moyes could hopefully gel together and into a decent team with a good fighting spirit about them, which is something that has been lacking this season.

However, and I hate saying this, I reckon that the board wouldn't be brave enough to go for Moyes as he is already in a job at Everton. I reckon they will try to do what they believe is the right thing and go for someone who isn't already in a job and that leads me to believe they will go for Rafa Benitez. He followed Houllier into Liverpool and did really well with them. I reckon that's what the board will look at and bring him to Villa to follow in the footsteps of Houllier again.

Personally I don't think Houllier's heart condition should really be a factor. Its a simple question, has his performance been good enough to warrant sticking with him next season? For me the answer to that is no, not even close. So I would if in Randy's position be removing him from the position of manager regardless of his medical capacity to do the job.

Actually in the multi million pound prem league - season tickets @ £500 a go - doesn't actually make that much difference. the difference between 20,000 sales and 30,000 sales - isn't a lot really

I thought that but the club dont like it.

The terrible, cringing feeling when the Holte end start singing 'Empty seats my lord' and huge hails of laughter and derision wail out from the away support I could do without.

An exciting new, young manager would alleviate it somewhat but a firm decision needs to be made quickly.
I don't really think that would do anything. Paul Lambert could be classed as an "exciting young manager" but I doubt the club appointing him would do anything to raise ticket sales. It needs to be a fairly big name - someone like Jol, Moyes or Ancelotti. I don't really know what big names are out there but it has to be someone of that ilk. A good summer with regards to transfers would help too.

I don't really think that would do anything. Paul Lambert could be classed as an "exciting young manager" but I doubt the club appointing him would do anything to raise ticket sales. It needs to be a fairly big name - someone like Jol, Moyes or Ancelotti. I don't really know what big names are out there but it has to be someone of that ilk. A good summer with regards to transfers would help too.

No I dont think it would raise ticket sales either which is why I said - alleviate, which means relieve or lessen.

Personally I don't think Houllier's heart condition should really be a factor. Its a simple question, has his performance been good enough to warrant sticking with him next season? For me the answer to that is no, not even close. So I would if in Randy's position be removing him from the position of manager regardless of his medical capacity to do the job.

I think most would agree with the above and I've personally believed for a number of weeks that Houllier was gone at the end of the season. The fact he is now ill makes absolutely no difference.

I'm actually warming to the idea of Benitez, as long as he doesn't see us as a stepping stone back to Anfield or Spain. I think his comments about buying into a "plan" and the "academy" is very much aimed at Randy. There's not any other European Cup winning managers that are likely to come to Villa any time soon.

This is true, but without meaning to be cynical, I think the health issue provides a convenient get out for all parties after a disappointing campaign in all respects, and we'd be silly not to use it.

I'm actually warming to the idea of Benitez, as long as he doesn't see us as a stepping stone back to Anfield or Spain. I think his comments about buying into a "plan" and the "academy" is very much aimed at Randy. There's not any other European Cup winning managers that are likely to come to Villa any time soon.

Thing is he has managed bigger clubs than villa. He has very little experience of managing meduim sized clubs. Thats part of the difficulty of appointing a villa manager - we are neither big nor small. If your a Bolton, WBA, Wolves, Blackpool - you know you aren't going to be cutting massive deals & and if you are Manu Man C - picking up bargain basement players isn't a high priority - where as villa you need to be able to manage the big time charlies - yet sign the odd £3m gem from the chapionship.

Thats why, despite his decorated CV benitez would IMO fail at Villa.

IMO Moyes and Hughes have the skills we need.

Thing is he has managed bigger clubs than villa. He has very little experience of managing meduim sized clubs. Thats part of the difficulty of appointing a villa manager - we are neither big nor small. If your a Bolton, WBA, Wolves, Blackpool - you know you aren't going to be cutting massive deals & and if you are Manu Man C - picking up bargain basement players isn't a high priority - where as villa you need to be able to manage the big time charlies - yet sign the odd £3m gem from the chapionship.

I can understand your argument, but we are a big club, we just signed a striker for £24m, not many other clubs could do that. MON spent a lot of money, not Randys fault he spent it on crap...

I can understand your argument, but we are a big club, we just signed a striker for £24m, not many other clubs could do that. MON spent a lot of money, not Randys fault he spent it on crap...

Surely any good Manager, no matter the size of the club, would make them a better club and do a good job? I'm not sure that the size of the club is what matters. Are you saying that Mourinho would also fail? Benitez managed those clubs because he was big enough a name to do the job. He did well with them and would be more than capable of managing a club the size of Aston Villa. IMO. He also purchased players for small amounts of money too. They weren't all huge fee's paid.

valencia were a medium sized club at the time

i would take rafa as i think he would be very good for a club like ours. dont like him as a person but if he won us trophies who cares?

I really do not want another Liverpool reject. If he is not good enough for Liverpool he is not good enough for Villa. Given all the stick he has taken from the Holte End being a fat Spanish waiter, I think he would face the same sort of problems as Houllier.

It has to be Moyes or Hughes for me. Seeing Sidwell set up Fulham's second goal yesterday made me think that Hughes has given him the confidence that our managers never could.