Alan Hutton

Rich_D

His errors and bad positioning play contributed to all three of their goals. While Warnock has been bad, I don't remember the last time he helped us concede three in 15 minutes.

Just a terrible FB. Please sell him, he makes me want to cry.

He didn't keep anyone quiet he didn't track back and didn't even do his job properly hence why bent had to try and do it for him and cuellar had to cover him numerous times.

He relies heavily in the winger in frot of him to do his job hence why the likes of albrighton zog etc never get chance tO do their job properly.

He gave the ball away at crucial times and his decision making such as trying to pass the ball off the line over the head of Walcott and defenders BACK into danger tells me he isn't up for playing anything like premier league. They wouldn't even buy him back for the SPL

1st goal - Hutton closed down on halk way line by2 players and Dunne makes an awful challenge he didn't need to make

2nd goal - Hutton on the line ball comes at him and looking at his position and angle could do no more with it

3rd goal Bent make a silly challenge and Cuellar actually had the player covered.

Sorry all this hatred to Hutton is way wayout of order

1st goal - Hutton closed down on halk way line by2 players and Dunne makes an awful challenge he didn't need to make

2nd goal - Hutton on the line ball comes at him and looking at his position and angle could do no more with it

3rd goal Bent make a silly challenge and Cuellar actually had the player covered.

Sorry all this hatred to Hutton is way wayout of order

That's nonsense.

1st goal - Hutton RAN that ball into that dead end when he didn't have to.

2nd goal - even taking a fraction of a second longer to find a clearance that wasn't blocked by bodies could have saved us.

3rd goal - truly dismal positioning, don't know where he was or where he was running to, but he looked like he was running through treacle... couldn't get back to cover and so Bent panicked and made a bad last-ditch challenge. We've conceded goals like that before, with Hutton waddling back into position way too slowly.

All those players do get stick. Hutton gets more because he does even more wrong than they do. The difference between him and the rest of the defence is that the rest of them, even Warnock, occasionally do good things to relieve pressure and win some credit. With Hutton I never see him do anything except the most basic of 70/30 challenges, while his errors probably double the pressure that the rest of the defence feel. It's like we're carrying him for his attacking prowess, which doesn't actually exist yet somehow persists as a myth. The commentators were even talking about it pre-match.

All those players do get stick. Hutton gets more because he does even more wrong than they do.

I reckon he gets more stick because he's McLeish's signing.

I think you've got it backwards. McLeish gets stick because he signed Hutton, among other things.

Staggered that people are blaming him for any of our goals:

The main culprit in the goals were:

Dunne - 1st (and Im a fan of Dunne)

Dunne - 2nd

Bent - 3rd

Hutton wasnt great but he was no worse than Warnock, Cuellar, Dunne (2nd half), Gabby, Bent, Clark who were all (bar the odd occasion) - awful.

Dunne - 2nd

Bent - 3rd

Hutton wasnt great but he was no worse than Warnock, Cuellar, Dunne (2nd half), Gabby, Bent, Clark who were all (bar the odd occasion) - awful.

Exactly. It's because he's McLeish signing who's been hit and miss all season - can get forward well but defends without brains at times. It was a fluke goal - I mean hitting Walcott on the arm/shoulder is beyond unlucky. But he's a convenient straw man - he made some decent blocks today and like you say no worse than Warnock.

Had it been Ireland with the clearance - it would have been unlucky lad these things happen.

Dunne - 2nd

Bent - 3rd

I was simply saying that he shares a large portion of the blame. The people who make the final tackle/screwup aren't always the people most to blame for the goal, which is why I think the first goal is as much Cuellar's fault, for not cutting out that ball, as it was Dunne's. Still, you can't just ignore that it was Hutton's terrible decision making that turned over possession in that instance.

Second goal, Hutton shares primary responsibility with Dunne or Warnock, take your pick. The defence is occasionally going to have to deal with goalmouth scrambles, so clearances can't be as brainless as that. No one would question that it was a bad clearance if it had cleared Walcott and just gone back into danger (likely).

Third goal, Hutton all over. If you have a RB actually doing his job in that position you don't get strikers crapping themselves and feeling like the defence rests on them.

I agree with you that Bent, Gabby, etc stank in the second half, but it's not as if Hutton's bad play happens in isolation. In one of Arsenal's more toothless passages I remember seeing him needlessly close down an angle that nobody cared about, when Ireland was hassling a player on the halfway line. As a result, Hutton lost the player behind him (his responsibility) and so Cuellar had to drift out and pick him up. All needless, because Hutton's change in position was utterly pointless. No need to go into the shocking tackles, handballs and mostly non-existent attacking play he's been responsible to date.

Dunne - 2nd

Bent - 3rd

I was simply saying that he shares a large portion of the blame. The people who make the final tackle/screwup aren't always the people most to blame for the goal, which is why I think the first goal is as much Cuellar's fault, for not cutting out that ball, as it was Dunne's. Still, you can't just ignore that it was Hutton's terrible decision making that turned over possession in that instance.

Second goal, Hutton shares primary responsibility with Dunne or Warnock, take your pick. The defence is occasionally going to have to deal with goalmouth scrambles, so clearances can't be as brainless as that. No one would question that it was a bad clearance if it had cleared Walcott and just gone back into danger (likely).

Third goal, Hutton all over. If you have a RB actually doing his job in that position you don't get strikers crapping themselves and feeling like the defence rests on them.

I agree with you that Bent, Gabby, etc stank in the second half, but it's not as if Hutton's bad play happens in isolation. In one of Arsenal's more toothless passages I remember seeing him needlessly close down an angle that nobody cared about, when Ireland was hassling a player on the halfway line. As a result, Hutton lost the player behind him (his responsibility) and so Cuellar had to drift out and pick him up. All needless, because Hutton's change in position was utterly pointless.

Your point regarding the 1st is a fair one, but Id argue that theres too much still to happen to point the finger at Hutton at all tbh. Fact is, Dunne doesnt need to make the tackle, but it happened so fast so you can see why he thought that.

I genuinely dont see what Hutton did wrong for the 2nd. His position was good and he went to clear the ball has best he could. Walcott should never have got to that position and the blame for that falls on Dunne whos positioning was awful.

The 3rd goal is Darren Bent full stop. END of. How anyone can disagree is beyond me. Hes not running back because hes crapping himself we have no right back. Hes running back because thats what he bloody should do after a pathetic attempt to challenge for the ball just inside the Arsenal half. However, what any striker/player with half a brain would do, would be to NOT dive in, schoolboy stuff. Was a simply awful bit of play and I fail to see how anyone can ignore that.

Â